Police wanted to fine me for riding without taillight, they really made my day!

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Well, I had a good laugh on my way home from working the late shift. I was riding my bike home from the trainstation, when I get pulled over by the police.
I immediately recognize one of the officers, as he tried to fine me a few months ago too, but I outsmarted him by mounting my SF L4 on my handlebars with one of those Livestrong foundation silicone wristbands (you don't get fined if you can fix light problems on the spot, not a law, but more of a gentlemens agreement).
He must have remembered me too, as he said 'hello Mr. flashlight man'. While his colleague starts to look at the underside of their policecar. Here is the conversation (roughly translated from dutch) that followed:

officer 1: So, it looks like we got you this time.
me: Uhm, I have no idea what you are talking about Mr. Policeofficer.
officer 1: Your taillight isn't working.
me: Well dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians, you're absolutely right Mr. Policeofficer.
officer 1 (with strange look): So shall I write you the fine or are you going McGyver on me again?
me: Activate McGyver mode!!
officer 1: Oh crap, here we go again.
me: I happen to have a spare AA for this taillight in my backpack.
officer 1: And you have a screwdriver too?
me: No...
officer 1: Shall I start writing?
me: Wait, I got my multitool.
officer 1: I should have expected that...
me: here you go, working taillight.
officer: So, do you have a spare battery for your headlight too? (Light strapped to my handlebars just went out, and no spare 18650 with me. I do have 2 RCR123s with me, but I'm not planning on frying my cree drop-in)
me: bugger
officer 1: I guess thats a no (grabs pad with forms for fine)
officer 2: Hey officer 1, I found the source of that rattle on the car!, this bolt of the exhaust came out, I tried to tighten it, but it sheared off. (walks to nearby garbagecan to dump broken bolt)
me: Can I take a look at that bolt?
officer 2: Sure, here you go.
me: Oh sweet! a real policecar bolt, can I keep it?
officer 2: Sure, even tho I don't see what you want with it.
me: Just wait. (I grab my multitool)
officer 1: poop, he's doing the McGyver thing again.
me: (after filing the bolt a bit) Done! no ticket for me tonight!
officer 1: eh?

I grab one of the RCR123s from my backpack, put it in my light, put in the bolt, screw on the tailcap and Click, light!

officer 1: Crap, he did it again...
officer 2: Heh, nifty trick.
me: thanks Mr. Policeofficer
officer 1: I almost had you this time eh?
me: Not really.
officer 1: Huh? Why? Without that bolt...
me: Well, I could have just taken this other flashlight (pulling Fenix L1D CE from pocket) and strapped it to my handlebars.
officer 1: Doh!
officer 2 is laughing out loud
me: and for the taillight, I could have used this (pulling Petzl E+Lite out of backpack) as a taillight too.
officer 2 is almost in tears laughing so hard
officer 1 (completely baffled): Sigh, have a nice evening then.
me (while riding away): Until we meet again, my Nemesis!
by now officer 2 is almost rolling on the floor laughing.

Great fun I had after a very busy day at work. Thank you very much officers, you really made my day!

greenLED

Flashaholic
:crackup: That's an awesome story, May.

Incidentally, the line for the chocolote covering and further punishment starts after me. :D

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well technically since they 'caught' you red-handed, they could have fined you anyway but I'm guessing they are pretty chill about it. Great story!! :D

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
That story is funny. I had a good chuckle but also wondering WTF you don't just keep a working taillight on the bike then doing that?

I mean yes the story ended well and everyone parted happy but the police have many other duties to do and patrols to make. Cops have a hard enough job as it is that they always get called to the the crap of the world and always see the scummy crap all the time. I guess it was a stress relief for the cop then when you gave him that amusement.

I mean if the cop was prickish enough they could have fined you on the spot having caught you red handed riding without a tail light.

Next time do what most people do and keep a tail light on the bike and carry a spare set of batteries. Not sure if they have the Planet Bike (PB) Superflash there but that is small, lightweight, uses 2xAAA, and spare 2xAAA are light and easy to carry.

Sorry if I sounded biting but you could jsut avoid the hassle if you just had the tail light working. Not only that cagers can see you and you don't become road pizza.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for cracking me up. You were lucky to meet such agreeable peace officers.

I ride around at night a lot, usually with a light in my hand that I can use in the dark places or when an occasional car comes by. The thought of getting a ticket for no tail light had occurred to me. I guess that would be a good incentive to invest in a tail light. I prefer going stealthy, though, when possible.

Some of the references are pretty 'cheeky' so I get the idea of the 'rough translation'. Great sense of humor (and timing).

There really was an extra bolt for you to use? Go McGuyver!!

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I had a good chuckle but also wondering WTF you don't just keep a working taillight on the bike then doing that?

Next time do what most people do and keep a tail light on the bike and carry a spare set of batteries. Not sure if they have the Planet Bike (PB) Superflash there but that is small, lightweight, uses 2xAAA, and spare 2xAAA are light and easy to carry.

I guess this might not be clear to some. The taillight is fixed to the bike, I had turned it on when I left the trainstation, but the battery died somewhere along the way home (it had a rechargeable in it, causing it to die quite quickly instead of fading out). This is why I told the officer I didn't have a clue what he was talking about, as I was sure I had turned the light on.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story! Thanks for sharing it with us. Using the broken 'authentic police bolt' as a dummy cell was great thinking. I wish I could have seen their faces!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
You're just a troublemaker aren't you?! :crackup:

How about a well prepared Flashaholic instead?! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
:crackup::clap::cool:

I almost snorted my drink there! Great story - you're definitely a true flashoholic! Thanks maycooper!:goodjob:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome story!! - thanks for sharing. :twothumbs It brought some big smiles to this tired evening. I'll nominate you for the McGuyver of the month award - maybe even the annual one :laughing: Great work and great sense of humor - I'm sure the officers appreciated the break from all the serious stressful stuff too.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I guess I would have a tail light setup that stayed on longer, and charge up a 17670 that would last about 1 1/2 hours for my headlight. and carry spare batteries. Dealing with cops re trivial issues is no fun for me. I know, I am a party pooper.

Bill