Streamlight Task-Light Luxeon mod: Cree Q5 5 mode regulated

bluecrow76

Enlightened
My first mod!

The second LED light I bought a couple years ago after Katrina was a Streamlight Twin-Task 3AA because of the long runtime on the LEDs. Then i found the Task-Light 3AA based on the 1W Luxeon. That was really cool at the time too! Time went by, technology got better and I matured in my flashlight knowledge, and needless to say my two Streamlight T-L's lost their attraction.

A couple months ago I read how to take them apart. When I dissected my Task-Light, I discovered the single pull-down resistor on the back of the switch. I realized how easy it would be to replace the Luxeon I on a star, and possibly add some sort of current regulator.

I placed an order for some parts from Kaidomain. In the order I included a Cree Q5 on a star ($9) and a 5 mode regulator board ($3). I used parts from Kai simply because this was my first mod and I didn't want to make a huge investment, although I was really excited about the possibility of resurrecting my old light.

All my parts arrived two days ago and I got to work. Pictures of the light are at the end.

To removed the LED from body of the light, you have to first remove the head (duh). You will then find a hexagonal looking piece on top of the star. This screws off. Carefully use some pliers to unscrew and remove it. The LED and switch module should come out pretty easily. If it provides any resistance dropping a AA down the tube will give it enough of a nudge to make it pop out.

To remove the original LED, first you need to unsolder the wires. One of them goes from the - plate of the star to the ground plate. The point that it is soldered to the ground plate is what I connected to the - input of the regulator. After you've removed the wires, simply pry the old star off and put the new one on.

At first I had some grand ideas of mounting the drive board on the bottom of the plastic switch module and having the top of the battery contact the bottom of the drive board directly. I started cutting the bottom of the module and realized I didn't have the tools to do the "precision" work that would be required. So now I had a nicely mangled module. I had already cut off the bottom of the switch PCB and removed the + battery tab, so I connected a spring that I pulled from a spare MiniMAG tail.

You'll also notice on the switch PCB a wire connecting the right side to the left side. I discovered the hard way that you don't cut PCB with pliers, unless you want the cut to travel all the way across the PCB. The first time I attempted it the PCB split all the way up about a 1/4 of the way from the right hand side (looking at the back of the board). This had the effect of separating the left switch contact from the right switch contact, so I had to add a wire that reconnected
them. "The proper way" to cut PCB is to use my Dremel and a cutting wheel! That worked much better!

I decided to mount the driver between the switch module and the LED/ground plate. This required me to cut down the top of the switch module and the switch PCB so that there would be some room for it. I cut the switch PCB down to the top of the switch, and then cut the switch module down to match the PCB level.

So for battery contacts, the + connection comes from the spring, through the switch module and up to the bottom of the regulator via a wire soldered to the + plate on the regulator. The - connection comes from the LED/ground plate down to the regulator. The wires I used came with the regulators that I bought from Kai. Very convenient and pre-tinned!

I added some Ceramique non-electrically conductive thermal compound to the top of the driver board after all the soldering was done. If the regulator warms up the heat will be transferred to the ground plate and hopefully to the body of the light. I opted not to use thermal epoxy as I may want to update it some day.

I was going to replace the stock reflector with a Fraen. The Fraen provides a nice tight hot spot and some spill if you want a thrower. The beam of the stock reflector with the stock Luxeon I is not the greatest and I was expecting the same behavior after the mod was done. I was about to start cutting into the stock reflector to make room for the new one when I decided to at least give the old one a try. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it worked great! It's floodier than the Fraen but has a defined hot spot with nice wide spill. I'm intending this light for around the inside and outside of the house, or maybe a car light, so I opted for the floodier reflector. I've got LumaPower lights for throw!

To put the setup back in, you have to pull out on the switch button so the module can slip past. I used some hemostats clipped to the button to keep it pulled out while I inserted the setup. I had to do this same thing on all the other StreamLight Twin-Tasks I've taken apart.

What once was an unimpressive Luxeon I based ringy beamed light is now a regulated 5 mode Streamlight Task-Light Cree Q5 almost tactical light! The new configuration on low puts out more light with a cleaner beam than the original configuration's single mode, and I'm guessing that the batteries will last a good deal longer! The driver that I used takes an input voltage from 2.7V to 6.0V (as stated on Kai). Now to make get another driver that can handle multiple lithium ions.

Views of the complete module:

DSC00017.resized.jpg

DSC00018.resized.jpg

DSC00020.resized.jpg

DSC00022.resized.jpg

DSC00012.resized.jpg

DSC00023.resized.jpg

DSC00016.resized.jpg

Looking in after the switch and LED modules have been put back in.

DSC00027.resized.jpg

Looking down the top of the light after the hex screw has been put back on:

DSC00033.resized.jpg

Last edited:

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Re: Streamlight Task-Light mod: Cree Q5 5 mode regulated

I've been thinking about getting another Task-Light and doing the same mod with a 1AA driver and cutting the tube down... I wonder where I could find a cheap used one...

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Re: Streamlight Task-Light mod: Cree Q5 5 mode regulated

The driver that I used was based on the AMC7135 chips, which I have since learned is just an LDO linear regulator. While this is much better than plain old resistor, I think I'm going to look for some cheap inductor based drivers. I'd like to have a wider range of input voltage possibilities also.

My next project is a couple quad head mags. I already have the emitters and am about to invest in a couple Shark drivers for them. I'd love to use a shark in or equivalent quality driver in all the projects I want to do, but I don't have that kind of money!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
How has this mod worked out for you? Was the Cree able to focus well? I really like the Streamlight 3AA Tasklight, but the output is pretty poor for nowadays.

If I did this, I would probably just want to swap out the star since I'm not very experienced.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
ampdude: I just used this light yesterday to help my dad replace the timing belt on his car. It came in very handy and I was pleased with it's performance during the project. We were at it about 10 hours. I was using plain old alkaline batteries in it. I wish I had a setup to do some runtime tests... one of these days!

The focus of the stock reflector is surprisingly good with the Cree. The stock light is quite ringy, and I think the different light emission angle of the Cree helped get rid of the rings.

Replacing the emitter will definitely give you more light and would be easier for the beginner. I found myself being "very brave" and hacking into the module.

The stock module has a single drop down resistor instead of an "intelligent" driver. I used the driver I did simply because it was the only one I had at the time that matched the voltage characteristics of the 3AA light. I would prefer to put an inductor based driver that would have a flat usage curve and no strobe or SOS feature.

As I said before, it breathed new life into a light that had been pushed to the back of my drawer. When I started working on my dad's car yesterday, I had the following lights on me (on my person, in my go bag and in the Jeep): Fenix P3D RB100, Fenix P1 w/ Seoul, LumaPower M1-T, LumaPower DX1, M@G Quad Cree Q5, Streamlight Twin-Task 3AA and Streamlight Task-Light 3AA Cree Q5. I had to decide which ones I was willing to use to work on the car with. The Streamlights have assumed the role of my beater lights, and they have performed well at the task!

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean. A guy I work with uses one as a work light and while I like the form factor and all, it has the most rings I've ever seen on a Luxeon light, aside from the original TIROS Inova T4. Certainly can't do any worse!

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
blue crow, when did you buy the Task light 3AA? In other words, do you think the design of how the LED module is seated has changed at all since you last looked? (asking because I might be doing this mod and I have noticed that Streamlight changed the design of how their Jr. Luxeon LED module was held in place and is no longer mod friendly.)

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I bought mine probably a little over two years ago, shortly after Hurricane Katrina. This was my second LED light.

I am planning a cut down single 14500 version and a cut down single AA version of the above light.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
How hard is it to unscrew the hex nut retainer (to remove LED module)? and also is it possible to use the existing contact points and route the AMC board within that area or do I have to cut new contact points?

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Just carefully use a pair of needle nose pliers to loosen it. Use the pliers down in the hex corners to apply pressure outwards while you turn. The nice thing about the Task-Light (as opposed to the Twin-Task) is that the ground is on the metal plate that is the backing for you star, so yes you can use the existing contact points. You get the negative to the Vin- from the metal plate. I had already torn apart the module when I realized I was going to build in a different way. You can leave the bottom of the module intact and just just get Vin+ from the top of the module.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Sorry for being stupid, but my brain is not clicking right now. If I were to do this mod on a stock module (unmangled/undamaged) how would I connect things together? (verbal explanation would be nice)