18650 DX flashlight for bike / cycling

ynz

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Long time viewer of cpf however the time has come for my first post :) Can anyone recommend me a $20-$30 1x18650 light for bike use. I don't want a bike specific light, just a simple flashlight which I will mount to the handlebars. I want to get something as simple as possible i.e. no mucking around with p60 drop-ins etc. Any DX recommendations?

Cheers

JCD

Enlightened
Hi all,

Long time viewer of cpf however the time has come for my first post :) Can anyone recommend me a $20-$30 1x18650 light for bike use. I don't want a bike specific light, just a simple flashlight which I will mount to the handlebars. I want to get something as simple as possible i.e. no mucking around with p60 drop-ins etc. Any DX recommendations?

Cheers

For your budget, the simplest reliable option will likely be a Solarforce L2P (or similar Solarforce 6P clone) with an XP-G drop-in preinstalled (so you don't have to muck around with the drop-in). I would avoid DX lights as bike lights. Ordering from DX is a bit like playing the lottery. You might get a good light first try, or you might have to try two or three times. Even a "good" light from DX might require some TLC before working quite right (i.e., it often won't be as simple as opening the package, installing a cell, mounting the light, and pedaling into the sunset).

An XP-G emitter based light will provide a more cycling suitable beam than an XM-L, assuming both are in smallish reflectors (as would be desired on a bike).

ynz

Newly Enlightened
For your budget, the simplest reliable option will likely be a Solarforce L2P (or similar Solarforce 6P clone) with an XP-G drop-in preinstalled (so you don't have to muck around with the drop-in). I would avoid DX lights as bike lights. Ordering from DX is a bit like playing the lottery. You might get a good light first try, or you might have to try two or three times. Even a "good" light from DX might require some TLC before working quite right (i.e., it often won't be as simple as opening the package, installing a cell, mounting the light, and pedaling into the sunset).

An XP-G emitter based light will provide a more cycling suitable beam than an XM-L, assuming both are in smallish reflectors (as would be desired on a bike).

Thanks JCD,

The Solarforce sounds like the go. Where would I get these with emitter preinstalled? Item would have to post to Australia.

JCD

Enlightened
I'm not sure where the best place would be for Aussie customers. For US customers, I think SolarforceFlashlight-Sales is the preferred source of genuine Solarforce lights, but I have no experience with them and don't know if they ship to Australia.

Be aware that Solarforce, despite making clones themselves, are sometimes counterfeited, so it would be wise to choose a reputable dealer.

If you've been viewing CPF for a while, you probably already know that it's generally worth the extra money to purchase quality cells, AW, for example, which tend to have greater capacity and withstand more charging cycles than cheap *fire 18650 cells. Still, it's worth repeating.

JCD

Enlightened
there a drawback to going with xm-l and using lower power modes or should I be looking for xp-g?

I think the beam profile of XP-G is better suited for cycling than XM-L. XP-G will have a narrower beam, without completely lacking spill. XM-L has a lot more spill, but seems to have less throw. I believe the XM-L is the more efficient emitter, though.

I like to think of my bike lights in terms of how far ahead in time I can see. I like to be able to see at least ten seconds ahead. I also like to be able to see my "outs" to either side, but it doesn't need to be as bright there. Ideally, my light does not illuminate anywhere to the side if I can't turn sharp enough at speed to ride there, because that's just wasted light.

The faster you ride, the more important throw is and the less important spill becomes. It works the other way, too. The slower you ride, the less important throw is, and spill becomes more useful. I tend to cruise along at 25-30 km/h, and prefer a narrower beam than the XM-L gives me. It's still usable, just not optimal. If you ride faster, XM-L will be less useful. If you ride slower, it will be more useful than it is to me.

Another consideration is the ambient lighting where you'll be riding. With a lot of ambient lighting, your bike light will serve more as a "be seen" light than a "to see" light. A wider beam might make you visible from more angles. If there's little ambient lighting, then your light is a more of a "to see" light, and you want to put the lumens you have in the most useful place, in a fairly narrow beam pointed straight ahead.

Unfortunately, there is no single best option for bike lights. It very much depends on riding style and environment.

ynz

Newly Enlightened
Cool,

Will have to look into it. Sooo much research lol.

Latest posts