18650XT

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen an optic-based light with different colored rings....just alternating light and dark.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm surprised output increase from high drain cells is visible. I remember testing them with my standard 18650 HD when it was first released. I could measure the increase, but I don't think I could see it.

When I get one, I'll certainly be using it without a diffuser.

Getting a dedicated thrower and worrying about artifacts on a wall 10-20 feet away makes no sense to me, but maybe my thinking is different from most. But ya when I get this I won't be needing the diffusers looking to get throw. What I would LOVE is a comparison between standard 18650 HD I think is 30,000 lux and this bad boy with no filter on it. 3 times the lux is huge but really want to see what I'm getting before I do.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed last night that they're 5700K (I think), so I won't be waiting for a neutral version. I also noticed that they're in stock and on sale.

Well......I'm weak.

I don't have a private location for outdoor beamshots, but I can compare throw between it, the 18650 Hound Dog, and the Hound Dog Super. I'm sure the E2XT will also going along for the fun. I found a soccer park in the area that allows for distances of 300 + yards, which I can confirm with a range finder to hopefully determine real-life max usable throw.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes. Yes I am lol. I love my 18650 HD. It's neutral and love the beam. But my love for this light goes way beyond tint. I love the size the output and the ability to have this light and just a couple extra cells and know you have 3 hours or so of full power is great. And now the the lux has tripled! Well that's just a bonus.Another thing I like is that on low and I ran mine I think for something like 48 hours it's still a very useful amount of light. I found I could easily walk in the woods with it. 90,000 can't wait.Malkoff has a beamshot at 150 yards. I'm pretty sure my HD would not be useful at that range.it would light stuff at that range but not enough to see what's going on.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I noticed last night that they're 5700K (I think), so I won't be waiting for a neutral version. I also noticed that they're in stock and on sale.

Well......I'm weak.

I don't have a private location for outdoor beamshots, but I can compare throw between it, the 18650 Hound Dog, and the Hound Dog Super. I'm sure the E2XT will also going along for the fun. I found a soccer park in the area that allows for distances of 300 + yards, which I can confirm with a range finder to hopefully determine real-life max usable throw.

That would be awesome thanks! I have a football/soccer field less then1/4 mile away that's where I'll be testing mine.

daffy

Enlightened
Just out of curiosity, are the rings in the beam the same color? In your pictures there doesn't seem to be much change at all. No ugly purple or green.
As far as my eyes can tell its all the same colour/tint/kelvin etc

daffy

Enlightened

Well......I'm weak.

Looking forward to the beamshots

daffy

Enlightened
I'm surprised output increase from high drain cells is visible. I remember testing them with my standard 18650 HD when it was first released. I could measure the increase, but I don't think I could see it.

When I get one, I'll certainly be using it without a diffuser.
Not as obvious on high but most definitely there, on low the difference is so obvious you would have to be blind not to notice it and low throws nicely as well.
Dont forget this is with the 1% diffuser which according to Malkoff website drops the cd from 90k to 70k.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Can't wait to get mine and test it out. Kinda weird..it looks like he's not making his 6 volt max 18650 HD. Don't see it on his site.

daffy

Enlightened
When i first took it out i wasn't that impressed with the 5% diffuser though the beam is quite nice.
The supplied KP battery i thought maybe it was low but checked it on the charger it was fully charged.
The head/body didnt get very warm with the supplied 3500maH cell, different story with 15A cell you could feel it warming up much quicker.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The 5% takes it down to 35,000 lux. That's pretty much where the standard 18650 HD is. So ya would not be that impressive. I used mine last night at around 110-120 yards. To my eye. I don't have a range finder And it was not even close to genes beamshot at 150 on his site.mine hit the target but was this huge beam. Not really focused I'm thinking I'm going to like mine a lot.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just got back from the soccer field where I did a few more tests. My 18650 Neutral HD very easily hits past goal to goal. 120 yards or so. Past that into the woods is 150-160. It hits that again with no problem but nothing like genes 150 yard on his site. I'm extremely excited to get this thing and see what it can do.

Last edited:

daffy

Enlightened
Did it light up pretty good at that distance?
I could easily discern the eucalypts and path i was shining it on,still had more in it however past a certain point without optics you wont see it anyway.
Once the mozzies go away i plan to do tripod night shots of every light i own.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just got mine in. Now the 3-4 hour wait for dark. I couldn't resist trying it out real quick in the house just to see what's what. Put it next to my 18650 neutral and saw "other then tint and beam shape" no difference in output. Then saw that it come with the 5% diffuser already installed. Lol. Without it yes there is a HUGE difference. More later when it gets dark😁

Latest posts