18650XT

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just got back from a little walk to try out my new toy. This thing rocks! That's 85 yards from goal to goal and I'm back at least that far from them. There not the best but it's dam close to what my eyes tell me. First one is my 18650 neutral second is the new boy!
082-A62-DD-5224-414-C-A8-A5-31-EE9-F86-AC73.jpg
E3-AAD55-F-C88-F-449-E-902-F-B90-F8456770-D.jpg

68-F862-EF-500-E-4-F32-B8-AB-D29-B90852546.png

So 180-190 yards and she can push a lot more. But in real world much further and I'd need binoculars

Last edited:

daffy

Enlightened
Yes i had 2 bags inside my box and it said 5% diffuser already fitted.
It removes easily to swap out.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya. I don't really read instructions. At least until I'm hopefully lost. Them filters do clean up the beam real nice. But not sure why you would want to lose that much lux by using them In a light meant to be used at 100 plus yards.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the 5% diffuser make it match the old school HD18650 beam pattern? If so, this is really a great idea. Gene is brilliant. It's at least 2 lights in one. Thanks for all the testing!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
With the 5 percent filter it is VERY close to the old 18650 HD. Not sure about the tint because my old HD is Neutral. But beam pattern and throw are very similar.So yes it's kinda like 2 or 3 flashlights in one. With the diffusers in place you get a very wide beam. Take them out you got one hell of a thrower.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
There just .0.10 thick diffused plastic material things that smooths out the beam. Dc-fix kinda thing. They do work but throw is really cut down with them

I'm sorry were you just asking how good they work? If so they work very well.

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone planning on doing a beamshot with the Hound Dog Super, preferably 4000K and this head? I am waiting on the other WC to come out before I buy anything and also I do not know if Gene has anything coming out to upgrade the Super Hound Dog. Every time, I am about to buy a new light something more attractive comes out of his shop. I know the new WC is coming and if there is a new Super coming I will keep waiting.

I google mapped my Hound Dog Neutral and found it has a max effective range of about 300 Yards.

mfrey

Enlightened
Does anyone recognize the 35mm optic? I can't seem to find a visual match among the more notable TIR manufacturers.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Is anyone planning on doing a beamshot with the Hound Dog Super, preferably 4000K and this head? I am waiting on the other WC to come out before I buy anything and also I do not know if Gene has anything coming out to upgrade the Super Hound Dog. Every time, I am about to buy a new light something more attractive comes out of his shop. I know the new WC is coming and if there is a new Super coming I will keep waiting.

I google mapped my Hound Dog Neutral and found it has a max effective range of about 300 Yards.

Two different animals they are. I think what you would see in a beamshot comparison is that they both throw nearly the same maybe a touch more with this new head but the super is 2 times the output so it will have much more spill and more light on the target. I too am waiting first because I really want to see the new WC and second if gene got the 18650 HD up to 90,000 lux god knows what the super might be 200,000 maybe? Of course I have no idea if he even plans to upgrade it. Just thinking out loud.

mfrey

Enlightened
Two different animals they are. I think what you would see in a beamshot comparison is that they both throw nearly the same maybe a touch more with this new head but the super is 2 times the output so it will have much more spill and more light on the target. I too am waiting first because I really want to see the new WC and second if gene got the 18650 HD up to 90,000 lux god knows what the super might be 200,000 maybe? Of course I have no idea if he even plans to upgrade it. Just thinking out loud.
I don't think that the larger optic of the HD Super will afford much more candela. The 18650 XT is already pushing the Oslon W1 emitter nearly to its max: direct drive with a 35mm optic.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh the new 18650 HD has more lux yes. But doesn't have the house power of the super.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Playing around with my XT a little more tonight. Even on low this thing throws a ton! 30-40 yards. And and. It will also run on 2XAA in a MD3 body! I learned that little trick with my 18650 neutral. And it's frixen bright as hell on them to.

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
If he switched to a reflector instead of an optic on the Super Hound Dog, maybe he can get 200,000 candela. That would be a definite buy for me if the lumens were around 1,000 plus.

It would replace my 1,200 lumen 1000 meter 250,000 candela Olight M3XS-UT.

Is there a reason Gene uses a lot of optics? For the WC V6 I can understand I love the flood on it, but for anything longer range you get a (much) nicer beam and can get longer throw with a reflector.

daffy

Enlightened
With the 5 percent filter it is VERY close to the old 18650 HD. Not sure about the tint because my old HD is Neutral. But beam pattern and throw a very similar.So yes it's kinda like 2 or 3 flashlights in one. With the diffusers in place you get a very wide beam. Take them out you got one hell of a thrower.
Spot on

daffy

Enlightened

I've already out thrown that with the 1% diffuser.

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
I've already out thrown that with the 1% diffuser.

Do you have a Hound Dog Super, that you can do beamshots with? I know the Hound Dog Super is not a true thrower, none of Genes lights are, and he told me he has no plans to make one. However, it would be nice to see no diffuser vs the Hound Dog Super, as the Super will have way more light surrounding the target and up close. I say 300 Yards, but everyone has different eyes I can clearly ID a person at 300 for a weapon. I can see 600 yards with my M3XS-UT.

Last edited:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a Hound Dog Super, that you can do beamshots with? I know the Hound Dog Super is not a true thrower, none of Genes lights are, and he told me he has no plans to make one. However, it would be nice to see no diffuser vs the Hound Dog Super, as the Super will have way more light surrounding the target and up close. I say 300 Yards, but everyone has different eyes I can clearly ID a person at 300 for a weapon. I can see 600 yards with my M3XS-UT.
I don't know. I'm pretty sure that Gene's e2 ht and e2sht are legit throwers.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk