OpticsHQ E-Series Heads for the E1 and E2

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Mike at OpticsHQ was nice enough to send me two E series heads for evaluation.

The E series heads that OpticsHQ sells are directly compatible with anything that has the SureFire E series body threads. This includes the Aleph 1x123 bodies, the Vital Gear Bodies, and (of course!) the SureFire E1 and E2 series bodies.

Shown below - E2e with OpticsHQ head, E1L with OpticsHQ head, E1e with incan head, and TW4 clone with VG 1x123 and KL4 head.

opticshq1.jpg

The head is just a tad larger in size to the current SureFire KX1/KX2 heads - it's about 1mm longer in height.

opticshq_eheadheight.jpg

The reflector head, however, is quite a bit larger.

opticshq_eheaddiameter.jpg

The head itself (surprisingly) can be taken apart - the pill can be removed from the head just by grabbing the spring and unscrewing it.

opticshq3.jpg

The solder contacts (shown above) is what actually hits the body to make contact. Ironically, on the E1 head, the contacts were built up, and still didn't make contact with the body - so unscrewing the pill 1/4 turn was enough to make contact with the body so that the light would work.

The light - well, the light is clean, pure, and whiter than my SSC headed Novatac.

The heads are deeper than most - so you get far less spill that I would have thought. Comparison pics below. In order, Novatac 120P, OpticsHQ E1, and OpticsHQ E2

novatac_flood.jpg

opticshq_e1_flood.jpg

opticshq_e2_flood.jpg

One minor niggle and one major niggle of these two heads.

Minor niggle - the heads are SHARP - be careful on the body side threads.

Major niggle - the pills really should be tied down better. I worry about their use in this case.

The long term testing begins - the E1 head starts becoming my EDC unit paired with a VG 1x123 head tonight.

Night shots as I can get them.

-Steve

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review, Steve! Looks like this will make a great upgrade for the E series bodies!

This review (and Beastmaster):
ttran97_stamp.gif

planex

Newly Enlightened
Good job on the review. It is nice to finally see some info on these.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Okay - here's some night time beam shots. For those of you who read my BOG vs. Malkoff review - this is the same "alleyway" lane that I typify as what many officers would face in a night time situation. It has the combination of light clutter from street lights (30 yards away) and home lighting. Also - I use this area as a dog run, so there is yard floaties there. If you can see the yard floaties, and have good throw, you have (in my mind) a successful combination.

In order - OpticsHQ E1 head, OpticsHQ E2 head, KL4 with 1x123, KL4 with 2x123, Novatac 120P, and my standard - the Malkoff M60 Q5.

opticshq_e1_night.jpg

opticsh2_e2_night.jpg

kl4_1x123_night.jpg

kl4_2x123_night.jpg

novatac_night.jpg

malkoff_night.jpg

The E2 head really gives great throw and good flood. It's good enough for use as a perfect tactical light. Combine it with a McClicky 2 stage tailcap and you've got one heck of a killer two stage combination that would kick the SureFire L2's tail.

-Steve

Last edited:

Kelvino

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the Beamshots, Beastmaster.

How do the E1 and E2 head work with one RCR? Brightness and runtime wise

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Brightness for both on RCR 1x123's are the same on both units.

Runtimes - I haven't done that yet. That's next. I figured that beamshots were more in demand.

And - if it beats out the KL4 and equals the KL1 third gen, it's a winner.

-Steve

Kelvino

Newly Enlightened
Good to know brightness is the same on one RCR.
If runtime is equal or close I will get the E2 because it can handle 2xRCR, just incase...

O

OpticsHQ

Theoretically, these heads should also work on L1, L2, and L4 (maybe L5 as well, but I am not sure on the thread size)......

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I just got back from the baseball games, so I'm starting the runtime tests now.

-Steve

Update # 1 - Both are running strong still at 1 hour 2 minutes. I'm running AW's rechargable 123a's on both. All balanced charged with each other and left to sit overnight before use.

I did have to put ice packs onto both units. They get very warm - not hot to the touch warm where you get burned, but enough to where it's an extremely warm handwarmer.

Update # 2 - the E2 unit just stopped at 1:07. E1 is still going.

Update # 3 - the E1 unit stopped at nearly 1:10 (1:09:49).

Next up - the E2 head on the 1x123 body runtime. I've got another of AW's 123's on this one as well.

-Steve

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the Malkoff M60 really beats them all easily! I've been wanting an upgrade for my E2e, but I'm not sure if these are what I'm looking for.

O

OpticsHQ

Wow, the Malkoff M60 really beats them all easily! I've been wanting an upgrade for my E2e, but I'm not sure if these are what I'm looking for.
Malkoff is a drop-in replacement for the P60, these are conversion heads. Apples and oranges :) Also, we did not try to design the best throw, but the best compromise between throw and spill (and I think we succeeded ;) )

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I use the Malkoff as an example of what I would call the ultimate drop in for the SureFire 6P series of lights that use the P60 lamp assembly.

The OpticsHQ E2 head is close. Very close. I love the hot spot and the floodiness of it in a single package.

As was mentioned - the E2 head and the M60 drop in are two totally different animals for two different series of flashlights.

-Steve

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was all excited to get mine for my E2D today. I took it inside and took the incan head off, and then put the Q5 LED head on....There was a very quick bright flash, and then nothing. :oops: Needless to say, I am disappointed. I took a chance and called OpticsHQ and to my surprise, I got Mike. He apologized and said, just send it back and he'll have a new one in the mail priority to me Monday. :thumbsup: Dang, I sure was looking forward to testing this thing out tonight. Oh well, it's not as if I don't have a dozen or so other working lights. So, I should have the new one by Wed. or Thur. Thanks Mike. A+ customer service. :twothumbs

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Before you do so - check and make sure that the pill insert is screwed down all the way.

-Steve

I was all excited to get mine for my E2D today. I took it inside and took the incan head off, and then put the Q5 LED head on....There was a very quick bright flash, and then nothing. :oops: Needless to say, I am disappointed. I took a chance and called OpticsHQ and to my surprise, I got Mike. He apologized and said, just send it back and he'll have a new one in the mail priority to me Monday. :thumbsup: Dang, I sure was looking forward to testing this thing out tonight. Oh well, it's not as if I don't have a dozen or so other working lights. So, I should have the new one by Wed. or Thur. Thanks Mike. A+ customer service. :twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were the above beamshots all taken with the same exposure? Has a price for the OpticsHQ converstion head been announced yet? I still may give one a shot. :)