I'm getting ready to begin a Mag623!

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened
I mean Mag623! My first post and I already look like a fool haha!

First of all, I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for the great information/products that they offer.

Secondly, my wallet already hates all of you :p.

I have been reading around for about a week, and have decided that I want to begin a build on a Mag623. I have done quite a bit of research and am starting this thread for a few reasons. One is to ask a couple questions before I begin purchasing/building. Also, I love threads with tutorials, guides and lots of pictures. As a CPF newb I found it very helpful to read others experiences and look at their pictures, so I plan to do that with this thread.

I have looked around and am planning on purchasing:

1. 4D Mag-Lite (I already have one).

2. LuxLuthor's 14.4v 12 cell Elite 1700mAh battery pack. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176185

3. AW's Mag D Incan Driver
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177316

4. fivemega's 12.7mm dual function reflector (with cam) and Boro lens.

As far as I can tell the battery pack that I linked is a good choice. I want to go 14.4 volts instead of 15.6 because the extra lumens aren't worth the added heat to me, about 20 degrees according to LuxLuthor's destructive incan testing. I could do this in a smaller host, but with the host and battery choice it is not necessary for me to bore out the host. I love the ability to select the output power with AW's driver, and the soft-start is another feature I like.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there another battery selection that would be better suited/offer longer run time?

2. AW's driver has the appropriate socket for the 64623?

3. I have heard that the 64623's beam isn't the nicest. How much would it hurt throw if I got the MOP reflector instead of SMO?

4. Where should I purchase the 64623 bulb?

Another thing...I was looking at the destructive incan tests and I was thinking that I could use a 64440 bulb when I desire longer runtime (about double) and don't need as much light.

Feel free to give advice, etc. This board is great, I hope to contribute and help others with my progress.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: I'm getting ready to begin a Mag263!

Welcome to CPF, phatcenter77. LOL, "Mag263" made me wonder for a second.

There is another thread running about this same subject at the moment, which may give you answers to some of your questions.

Although the 2 threads are very similar, I think they may be able to stay separate rather than be merged. That may change, however.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
For a starting out light, probably the Elite 1700 AA's are easiest, and provide that reliable Amp output that this bulb will draw....and doesn't require you get the Mag bored out. Other AA cells will not hold up to the higher current demands of that bulb.

There are other batteries that also supply that higher current, like Elite 4/5A 2000mAh but they need a tri-bore. I don't think I would recommend you jumping into the Emoli (Safe) Lithium cells (26700 size) as a first step, but that's another option.

(FYI: You can edit your first post in advanced mode and change the topic title bulb number if you want)

:welcome:

DM51

Flashaholic
Lol Lux, that title is what intrigued you enough to read this thread, admit it!

Phatcenter77, FYI, LuxLuthor has been far too modest here - he has not drawn your attention to the link in his sigline.

He makes custom battery packs for lights, and I am sure he would be happy to build you one if you need it, once you have decided what you want. He is very knowledgeable indeed about hotwire incan lights and their batteries.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd suggest going with 15.6V instead of 14.4. There's a good thread around here that compares the 64623 on 14.4 and 15.6. The 15.6V is really quite a lot better than the 14.4. It will require a 13th cell which will be a problem if you can't go 4 wide without boring. I think someone with the handle "something" Hernandez does boring of 4D mags.

The AW switch uses the KIU type ceramic socket with easily accomodates the bi-pin 64623.
As far as I've read, the AW design will operate under the load of the 64623 with no problems.

And for a shameless plug :whistle:, My JM-SST wil handle the lead with no problems at all, and it's cheaper.
End shameless plug.

DM51

Flashaholic

LOL!

phatcenter, it's your lucky day. JimmyM is another hotwire guru, so with him an LuxLuthor on your case, you are in good hands. I'll leave you to their tender mercies. Hang on to your wallet, lol

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened

Wow, I feel very privileged to have you guys post in my thread. It's probably a good thing that I originally had the title incorrect.

I Have about 12 threads bookmarked from LuxLuthor, fivemega, and JimmyM.

JimmyM, I was originally looking at your JM-SST, but I want the ability to have multiple output levels. Now you have me trying to decide between 15.6v and 14.4v.

Now I'm thinking about power/battery options...
Are the Eneloop 2000 mah cells suitable for the high current draw of the 64623? If they are, is it possible, LuxLuthor, for you to weld a pack that uses them to achieve 14.4V? Also, is it possible for you to make a 15.6v pack with the Elite 1700 mah that will fit into a 4D without boring?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Eneloops will hold a charge for much longer than the Elite's? That is a very attractive option for me.

Thanks for the help...

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

JimmyM, I was originally looking at your JM-SST, but I want the ability to have multiple output levels. Now you have me trying to decide between 15.6v and 14.4v.

Now I'm thinking about power/battery options...
Are the Eneloop 2000 mah cells suitable for the high current draw of the 64623? If they are, is it possible, LuxLuthor, for you to weld a pack that uses them to achieve 14.4V? Also, is it possible for you to make a 15.6v pack with the Elite 1700 mah that will fit into a 4D without boring?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Eneloops will hold a charge for much longer than the Elite's? That is a very attractive option for me.

Thanks for the help...

Multiple levels definitely requires an AW switch.
Those eneloops will sag very heavily under the 9+ amps load of the 64623. The Elite1700s are the only AA cell I'm awareof that will hold 1.2V while pushing a 10 amps load. I'll leave the battery pack config to Lux's capable estimation.

Lux, if you strip the Elite1700s bare and use Kapton tape on the cells before assembly, then use thin shrink tube, could they fit 4 wide into a D Mag body?

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, I didn't think that the eneloops would work.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
DM51 !!! You are right. That Mag263 sucked me right in. LOL! So you are thinking maybe he should change it back? :kiss:

Jimmy/Phat: The labels on the Elite cells are 1 mil thickness as is Kapton tape. As has been done with some other AA cells, if all 4 cells have their stock label overlap edge turned into the middle, you can JUST squeeze them in a stock MagD tube, but if any of them have the overlap turned to the outside, they won't fit.

The reason Jimmy is asking about this is to see if you can avoid using a bored out Mag to fit 4 wide ("quad config") Elite AA 1700mAh cells. You need to have each battery with insulation, or it will short against other cells and/or inside of light tube. One you add shrinkwrap which is mostly 5 mil (although I did find some 3mil in smaller sizes), you won't be able to fit a quad config without having the Mag bored out.

IMHO, it is not wise to squeeze AA cells that fit so tightly by turning label overlap to the middle, because over time the tight fit wears down the stock label, and the one time you forget, the label will tear and short. Been there, done that. :mecry:

So if you want a stock 4D, you can only fit 4 long x tri config (12 cells)...unless you want to have me add a 13th 4/5 SubC that is also 1700mAh that fits in the tailcap (you can see pix of it on my battery packs thread 1st post).

When you consider using the eneloops, they just don't have the balls to hold up the 64623 demands of 9-11 Amps. They work up to about 7-8 Amps load, but I would ideally limit Eneloops to a routine 6A load. Sometimes you can put sets of them in parallel to double their Amp load capacity draw rate, but that won't apply here with this bulb.

The 4/5A Elite 2,000 cell whcih you can see at CheapBatteryPacks here is wider than the AA....so a tri config wide setup (4 long) would again require a Tri bore to be done on the light.

So to summarize, the simple way to start out is to use the Elite 1700mAh AA cells, either in a 4 x 3 14.4V setup, or with a 13th 4/5 SubC 1700mAh added (which works because it is also a high current output cell with same capacity.)

Regarding the Jimmy driver vs. AW.....you need to be able to do the soldering and installation of Jimmy's board and use a KIU setup. AW's driver is more expensive, but it's slick, drop in easy, and gives multiple levels of output. So you get more convenience and features if you are willing to fork over more $$$ to AW. That's your decision to make. Both are excellent products.

Last edited:

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened
LuxLuthor, the battery configuration that I was thinking about was exactly mentioned by you. I was hoping that you could weld me a pack with 12 cells in a tri config with the 13th cell on the bottom for a 15.6 volt pack.

How much do you think that throw will be hurt by having a MOP reflector vs. SMO? I am only considering a MOP because I get the impression that the 64623's beam isn't the nicest.

I changed the title. Thanks for letting me know that I can edit it, many forums won't let you edit the title until you have so many posts...

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL, I preferred Mag263. It certainly got some attention!

phatcenter, for a guy with just 4 posts here, you are shaping up as a very promising flashaholic indeed.

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened
Haha, thanks for the compliment DM51.

Any input on the reflector from anybody? I'd just like others' opinions on the matter.

LuxLuthor, would you prefer the specifics about the battery pack be carried out in PM or in your "Custom Battery Pack" thread?

ptirmal

Enlightened
Just another option thrown out there are the D lithium cell packs from Kaidomain. Will provide with 14.4v with protection circuitry built in... I was thinking about this myself... They have almost triple the capacity off the AA's and specs say they can handle 10A... don't think anyone has tried the setup yet...

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened
I can't even get on the website...

I can't find a kiadomain.com, the closest is kiadomain.hu, and I can't read whatever language it is in...

JosephK

Newly Enlightened
Kaidomain is a user/custom parts builder over on the CPFMarketplace. Do a search for threads started by his handle "Kaidomain".

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened
Oops, thanks for that. I even thought of that, but probably got distracted before I looked...

JosephK

Newly Enlightened
Hah no sweat. I'm in the same boat as you, newcomer piecing together my first light. Figured I'd jump right in with a bang and build a 623 as well.

If it wasn't for LuxLuther's guidance and fivemega's seemingly endless parts bin, I'd be stuck at square one.

Edit: Annnnd turns out kaidomain does have a website! http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Default.aspx

Same logo as his User Icon, so I assume it's his.

Last edited:

phatcenter77

Newly Enlightened
I just realized what my problem has been, I was reading it kIAdomain instead of kAIdomain.

Taboot

Enlightened
phatcenter77,

I hope you do a sort of running tutorial/update/progress report on your build. I am planning to do a similar build. I have been planning to do a build myself with 4D host, AWR driver, LuxL pack, etc. My time to research is limited (3kids under 2years old:p) so I'm interested in seeing how to pull it together.

Good luck to you,

Mike

PS- :welcome: