Fenix L2D-Q5 Comparison Review

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again through the kind courtesy of 4sevens (http://Fenix-Store.com) I have on loan a Fenix Digital L2D OLIVE Premium Q5

Size and Heads -
FenixL2DQ5_Sz.jpg
FenixL2DQ5_hds.jpg

just a note: the Rebel editions (RB100) have mirror surrounds at the center, and not black holes - it's just the way my scanner takes the photo.

According to 4sevens the 2 cell lights eg: 2x AA as in this L2D-Q5 and 2x CR123 P3D series are his biggest sellers - especially for duty lights - although I personally prefer single cell lights - those are a bit too small for duty usage.

The Fenix L2D-Q5 is rated in Turbo Mode at 180 lumens (2.4hrs)

vs. Fenix L2D-RB100 both on NiMH and Turbo
L2DQ5_L2Drb100.jpg
L2DQ5_L2Drb100U2.jpg

close, but I think the Q5 just has it. I prefer the RB100 tint and smoother beam - despite the orange-peel reflector the Q5 still has a hint of the notorious dark-halo - but it really is a non-issue for any practical usage.

vs. Fenix L2D-CE both on NiMH and Turbo
L2DQ5_L2Dce.jpg
L2DQ5_L2Dce2U.jpg

The Q5 is brighter - the CE is a P4 Cree - it shows pretty obvious dark-halo, but the Q5 version is better, but not by much.

vs. Fenix L2T (Luxeon 3) on High/max - both using NiMH
L2DQ5_L2T.jpg
L2DQ5_L2T2U.jpg

not surprisingly the Q5 is quite a bit brighter - although the L2T (Luxeon3) beam is smoother with a nicer tint.

How about the BIG boys?

vs. Fenix P3D-RB100 on primary CR123's - both on Turbo -
L2DQ5_P3Drb100.jpg
L2DQ5_P3Drb100U2.jpg

the L2D-Q5 does well against the P3D-RB100 (rated at 200 lumens) - in the beamshots they may look about the same - but bear in mind the P3D-RB100 beam is wider therefore there is more light - also as with the Rebels the tint is nicer and the beam is smoother - all things we used to pay a premium for in Luxeons......

The Fenix L2D- Q5 is one of the brightest 2x AA lights around - there are 3 lower levels of light which makes it very versatile - the user interface is pretty simple taking good advantage of the reverse clicky switch.

In fact I noted that the Fenix "D"igital series work much better with the reverse clicky than a forward/tactical clicky - ref: Fenix L1T v2 RB80 Comparison Review

Last edited:

chewy78

Enlightened
I was thinking about replacing my minimagled with this model. should be arriving shortly

Last edited:

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
I have just ordered a fenix digital l2d olive premium q5. I hope it is much brighter than my 2aa minimagled. I can't wait to try it out!

You're joking, right? That's like saying that you hope your car is faster than a tricycle. :poke:

(I know; the minimagLED is a nice light. I have one in the drawer in my kitchen and use it a lot for general household use. But it won't be searing anyone's retinas.)

optodoofus

chewy78

Enlightened
ya I know:tinfoil: lol the minimag is used for maintenance on our farm vehicles. its durable but not very convenient or bright enough with no clickly for a one handed operation.

chewy78

Enlightened
You're joking, right? That's like saying that you hope your car is faster than a tricycle. :poke:

(I know; the minimagLED is a nice light. I have one in the drawer in my kitchen and use it a lot for general household use. But it won't be searing anyone's retinas.)

optodoofus
Well its more like comparing a 200hp full size tractor to a 18 hp garden tractor

You can get a lot more done in a lot less time more efficiently.

Last edited:

chewy78

Enlightened
Besides the l2d, I currently am getting a couple of surefire 6p clones to modify with some good led drop ins

primox1

Newly Enlightened
UnknownVT, is that NAT finish on your l2dQ5? It actually looks real good (maybe the lighting). Do you prefer the NAT or black finish on the fenixes?

Thanks...and nice comparison!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
is that NAT finish on your l2dQ5? It actually looks real good (maybe the lighting). Do you prefer the NAT or black finish on the fenixes?

No, it's the Olive finish -
the Natural finish is much more silvery.

Here's a comparison pic from - Fenix L0D-Q4 Comparison Review
FenixL0DQ4sz.jpg

Just for looks I like the Natural followed by this Olive -
I consider black probably one of the worst colors for flashlights -
what's the most difficult color to look for in the dark -
when you actually need to find a flashlight?
However if one uses spare/different bodies
(L2D head is basically the same as the L1D and P2D) -
then Black does have the advantage - as it matches, for now....

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just ordered a fenix digital l2d olive premium q5. I hope it is much brighter than my 2aa minimagled. I can't wait to try it out!

Would mind please editing your post #2 - deleting most of your quote from me -
as it's merely repeating my entire review immediately above.
Thanks.

Please take a look at this thread -

Puny LED flashlights (Not!) + COLOR RENDITION Comparison

to see how bright some of these LED flashlights are now -
directly compared to a 3x CR123 SureFire 9P, or even a 1,000,000 candlepower Spot light ........

Burgess

Flashaholic
I can honestly state that my Mini-MagLED 2AA flashlight
cannot even match the Medium setting of my Fenix L2D-CE.

And this is the original, P4 emitter in the Fenix, to boot. :whistle:

I think you will be quite pleased with the improvement. :)

_

chewy78

Enlightened
Would mind please editing your post #2 - deleting most of your quote from me -
as it's merely repeating my entire review immediately above.
Thanks.

Please take a look at this thread -

Puny LED flashlights (Not!) + COLOR RENDITION Comparison

to see how bright some of these LED flashlights are now -
directly compared to a 3x CR123 SureFire 9P, or even a 1,000,000 candlepower Spot light ........

done I was just excited about upgrading thats all

chewy78

Enlightened
I liked those other beamshots they were very good also. I have to say that the fenix l2d od q5 i got last night is a very nice light.

Last edited:

lucio

Newly Enlightened
I wanna buy an L2D and I need your advise.

I'm undecided between the Q5 and the REBEL.

I'd like my LED to have a nice tint similar to the sunlight, so I guess I should go toward the REBEL, right?
but I've read that the Q5 can even have a warm tint, but the question is: how much warm? if I'm lucky, could it be like a REBEL?

and plus I'm even concerned about runtime and output: are they much the same in practical usage?

and plus: does the same answers that those of you are kindly gonna give me valid even for the P3D?

sorry for my bad english and thank you all!!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanna buy an L2D and I need your advise.
I'm undecided between the Q5 and the REBEL.
I'd like my LED to have a nice tint similar to the sunlight, so I guess I should go toward the REBEL, right?
and plus: does the same answers that those of you are kindly gonna give me valid even for the P3D?

LED tints are always open to chance/lottery.

Generally the Rebel 100's seem to have warmer tints than the Q5's.

However that does not mean one couldn't get a Q5 warmer than a RB100 - it's just that the chances seem to be higher the other way round.

You'll note I have not mentioned any flashlight model above - tint seems to apply to the LEDs - everything else being equal.

The Rebel 100 in the Fenix flashlights (L2D or P3D) do have a smoother beam than the Q5's which still betray the notorious dark halo - however the Cree dark halo is really of no consequence in almost any real practical usage of a flashlight.

The Q5's are rated brighter than the RB100 equivalent -
from Fenix specs -

L2D-Q5: Turbo Mode: 180 lumens (2.4hrs)
L2D-RB100: Turbo Mode: 175 lumens (2.4hrs)
a mere 5 lumens or ~3% difference -
which can probably be the margin due to sample variations.

There is a direct side-by-side comparison of the Q5 and RB100 L2D in my opening post/review

P3D-Q5: Turbo Mode: 215 lumens (1.8hrs)
P3D RB100: Turbo Mode: 200 lumens (1.8hrs)
the difference is a bit wider 15 lumens or ~7% - you can look at my direct side-by-side comparison in
Fenix P3Dce-Q5 Premium Comparison Review
- also if you look at the first comparison of the Q5 vs. P4 Crees - you'll find that sample of the P4 had a nicer warmer tint than the Q5 - hence the tint lottery.

You should also checkout selfbuilt's excellent comparisons in -

Fenix L2D Q5 vs R100, R80, Q2, P4 Comparison Review: RUNTIMES+

which shows his samples of the RB100 seem to have better runtimes than the Q5.

Personally, I prefer the RB100's and the 2x AA configuration of the L2Drb100 -
it is also very versatile, as the head is actually the same as the P2D (1x CR123) and L1D (1x AA) - which means buying one flashlight and the other two bodies one gets in effect 3 lights in one........

Last edited:

lucio

Newly Enlightened
thank you UnknownVT!

I enjoy a good runtime, but I love-as everybody else in here, I think :)- a good amount of output too.
do you think the (probably) nicer tint and the runtime are worth the lumens that the Rebel loses in the head to head contest with the Q5?

right now I'm more inclined toward the Rebel version, but I think your next answer will be vital for my final decision :).

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
right now I'm more inclined toward the Rebel version, but I think your next answer will be vital for my final decision :).

If you already are inclined toward the Rebel
then get the Rebel -
that's the one I would choose too.

You could go the extra step and ask your vendor to possibly pick one that has a nicer/warmer tint -
the one I reviewed in Fenix L2D-RB100 Comparison Review (also compared directly side-by-side to the Q5 above in the opening post/review) had a really nice tint and smooth beam .

But I'd be happy with either.

lucio

Newly Enlightened
thank you UnknownVT, you've been very kind and helpful. just the last question: I remember that all Fenix's flashlights except the P3D (that's why at the time I went for a P3D), started in Turbo mode even if the head was in low mode.
has this bug been fixed in the meantime?