$20 AA light

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Honestly, it seems as if the K-106 with a 14500 is barely beating the the 2x AA; I really don't want to pay 2.5x as much for essentally unnoticeable performance differences - not to mention I would only have 2 14500 batteries, leaving me in the dark when they're charging. I love AAs for the convenience - I can grab non rechargeables from just about anywhere if I ever forget batteries.

Rexlion

Enlightened
if you can be patient while KD packs and ships my K106 to me, i can do a comparison for you, it's been ages and ages (well, actually i ordered it on the 6th or 7th of July but checking the status of my order many times a day makes time go by so slowly).

the advantage (in my eyes its an advantage) that the K106 has over the Romisen RC N3 II Q5 is that it has 3 modes instead of 2, and each mode is programmable to the output level that you choose instead of it being preset. However, 2xAAs usually have longer runtime than 1xAA lights and to be honest, i find 2xAA lights easier to operate.

The RC N3 can also run on RCR123s and is extremely bright, getting an Ultrafire WF-139 charger and 2xRCR123s from either AW or some other online dealer makes this a guilt free light AND gives you options to have a small light with you for those times when a 2xAA might be too bulky.

Another alternate is (and i have just ordered 2) the stainless steel 5 mode Ultrafire C3 from DX.

Good luck with that KD order. I ordered an Akoray there in the first week of June, it supposedly left their country June 26... and I still don't have it.

Last edited:

joshconsulting

Enlightened
I looked at that, but it appears to be unregulated so the output drops across the whole discharge - something I highly dislike.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I looked at that, but it appears to be unregulated so the output drops across the whole discharge - something I highly dislike.

Most modern LED lights are regulated, including the RC-G2.

Don't be confused when viewing alkaline runtime curves, which are an artifact of the crappy cell chemistry, not the light itself.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't be confused when viewing alkaline runtime curves, which are an artifact of the crappy cell chemistry, not the light itself.

I'm sure many will just think of me as a snob who spends too much time and money on flashlights (all are probably true :) ), but honestly, no reasonably informed flashlight user who really is interested in performance would use alkalines if they realized the difference vis-a-vis lithium primaries and li-ion. Heck, just knowing that alkalines can leak and ruin a nice flashlight should be enough to prompt one to consider moving up in the power cell-chain.

That said, I'm sure many here use AA alkalines to power their flashlights and I can't argue against that by any means - it serves a purpose economically and as such is reasonable... it's just not an approach that I would take.

As for DX, I've placed about five or six orders from them and while the wait time is usually 14 to 21 days or so, every order has been fulfilled perfectly and I'm very happy with the products received. Not to imply that problems can't happen, just that ordering from DX isn't necessarily doom and gloom.

Last edited:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was'nt trying to be mean on what i said in my posting its just for me i hate to wait.....i can wait a couple of days but for 2 weeks nah........i had a problem with one light that needed to be sent back and it was just trouble when it came to rma with DX.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
2AA-HiAlka-1.gif

The N3 seems to do fairly well against this (all much higher priced) field and much better then most cheap AA flashlights.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
I think I am going to go with the single stage N3. I'm a tech-oriented guy, not a flashlight aficionado, and spending 50-60$ on a product I plan on using once or twice a month just isn't happening. That being said, I love researching stuff and finding the best bargains, so I want to be sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The N3 seems to do fairly well against this (all much higher priced) field and much better then most cheap AA flashlights.

Keep in mind that it starts out at much lower output, hence the longer runtime. Many of the those lights are multi-mode, which have a similar brightness level with much longer runtime.

Also, the brightness/runtime of a light is only one of MANY factors you should consider when purchasing.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Yes, but all of those lights are at least twice the cost. I'm looking for something that I can walk around the house at night with (and I'm fine with a high output light there) or walk around the yard (1.4 acres, my minimag can barely reach across the yard from the house) without having a problem seeing. And yes, I'm aware that there are other important factors rather then brightness, but honestly very few of them matter much to me - I'm used to babying my stuff (I work in the computer industry - I've learned very quickly that letting an iphone fall 5 feet onto concrete isn't a good idea), and money's getting tighter for lately.

Marduke

Flashaholic
For walking around the house at night, I would actually suggest an extremely DIM light. There is nothing worse than waking up for a trip to the bathroom or kitchen and trying to use a bright light. Just a couple lumens is ideal in that circumstance, with less than one lumen preferable. Dim red is even better, since it does not disturb others sleeping in the house, and it allows you to fall back asleep faster.

Just a thought...

joshconsulting

Enlightened
First off - thanks for trying to help, I don't want to come off as a stubborn, pompous jerk. However, I do want something bright - there are fairly frequent power outages in my area, and I need to be able to light up a large room more often then I just need to walk around at night (nightlights do the trick for me), and brightness for outdoors stuff is essential - I go camping with friends occasionally, and I need a light I can slip in my pocket yet have available to go out for a walk in the woods. My Minimag LED has served me well, but I'm looking for something a bit brighter then that.

Marduke

Flashaholic
But we all know you'll be back, sooner or later, and looking for more...

Much more.... :devil:

Flashlights are kinda like underwear. Many people in the world do just fine without them, but once you get a pair, just try going without again. And how many people do you know who own just one pair?? :crackup:

joshconsulting

Enlightened
For my next upgrade in a year or two I'll probably go with a high quality Fenix, assuming the economy recovers like it's supposed to (us freelance consultants get slammed by the downturns...), but I think I'm going to go with the single stage N3. Thanks a lot for the help everyone, it's a great forum :)

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off - thanks for trying to help, I don't want to come off as a stubborn, pompous jerk. However, I do want something bright - there are fairly frequent power outages in my area, and I need to be able to light up a large room more often then I just need to walk around at night (nightlights do the trick for me), and brightness for outdoors stuff is essential - I go camping with friends occasionally, and I need a light I can slip in my pocket yet have available to go out for a walk in the woods. My Minimag LED has served me well, but I'm looking for something a bit brighter then that.

The RC N3 Q5 is a great light, but honestly, if you use it much, you will want to get into li-ions as they are much less costly over the long run than churning through lithium primaries. Unless you don't use the light much.

You did say you wanted to slip it in your pocket, which negates the use of the 2xAA tube.

I still think you would be better served by the three-level, programmable K-106 ($20), two Trustfire blue 14500 protected li-ions ($5 shipped) and a WF-139 or YoHo charger (about $12). And if you get desperate, you can always pop an L91 lithium primary, NiMH Eneloop, or (God forbid) an alkaline in there for back-up. I really do appreciate my RC N3 Q5s, but have to give the nod to my K-106.

It will be very interesting to hear your thoughts six months down the road from today!

Last edited:

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Rechargeable AAs work fine for me, and my 2xAA Minimga works great in my pocket (I'm 6'5" with long pockets on my jeans :)) and for 25$ vs. 37$ (13$ vs. 25$ when I sell the Minimag) I'm probably going to stick with the N3.

I will need a quality light sooner or later, but it'll have to be later. I do a lot of backpacking trips (2 weeks backpacking the boundary waters in canada coming up) so at some point I'll have to upgrade.