2008 Toyota Solara

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up a 2008 Toyota Solara SLE. High beams are an H11. Are Philips Extreme Vision still the best on the market? Is going to an H9 worth it for the additional light in a high beam application?

2007/2008 SE came with D4S HID low beams from factory, I can't seem to find any pictures of output to see if it's worth upgrading from halogen housing. Housing itself looks the same, it looks like the only variables are D4S vs H11 bulbs, obviously ballast/wiring/etc. is it possible they used the exact same projector?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
2007/2008 SE came with D4S HID low beams from factory, I can't seem to find any pictures of output to see if it's worth upgrading from halogen housing. Housing itself looks the same, it looks like the only variables are D4S vs H11 bulbs, obviously ballast/wiring/etc. is it possible they used the exact same projector?
Pretty much zero possibility that optics are the same. Different light source geometry and HID seems to mandate more expensive optics to cope with the trace UV it emits as a countless "HID kit" users can attest with their fogged lenses and cooked reflectors.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Ah perhaps I misunderstood your intent. If you want to source some OEM housings with the HID low beam that could be an improvement over the halogen low beam, but this is not guaranteed.

Glancing at the assembly, I imagine they'd use the same base housing w/ integrated high beam and just vary the projector for the low beam - halogen on lower trims, HID on higher trims. I'd validate that the pinouts on any intermediate connectors are compatible with your vehicle's wiring harness before committing.

I've seen Extreme Vision recommended often here and on other automotive forums. I gather they're one of the better choices without getting into the very short lifespans of top-performing bulbs.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hella do not make their own bulbs, and also have the nasty habit of offering products such as (and I swear I'm not making this up) the H9XE-DB, in which the DB stands for, apparently, "Dark Blue".

The Philips H9 is fine.

I've seen Extreme Vision recommended often here and on other automotive forums. I gather they're one of the better choices without getting into the very short lifespans of top-performing bulbs.
The X-Treme Vision bulbs will have the same tradeoff as other optimized bulbs. A tighter hotspot with higher filament luminance meaning better beam focus and shorter life. It's an inevitable tradeoff between bulb life and bulb performance.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
is it possible they used the exact same projector?
No, it is not. The optical differences are as big as between my contact lenses (I'm farsighted) and my wife's contact lenses (she's nearsighted). But her lenses and mine look alike to the outside observer...just like those headlamps look alike to the outside observer.