*2016* Thrunite t10 - Everything Ive ever wanted? not quite.. (comparison photos)

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
Good Evening everyone,

Ive recently been in the process looking for my ultimate edc (pocket light) aa sized flashlight. There are many things that come into play other than just raw lumen out put, as I'm sure most of you know. This will be a look at the factors that work and do not work for me. That being said, let know what you think!

So, things I wanted to find in a light of this size:

1. Easy of carry
2. Build quality
3. Price
4. lumen output (quality of)/UI
5. 14500 compatibility

Now with that said, the thrunite, from what information I could find on the 252 lumen model, fit that bill for me. However, it didn't quite measure up to what I was looking for.

While the quality, price, carry-ability and lumen output (for the most part) were fine. It did not work with my 14500s from olight. Maybe this is a battery design issue? hopefully someone can help me here. Either way, it fell slightly short.

Size wise, its almost identical to my E12. It does not however have what i was expecting for throw. Which was a downer. That said for some in other applications, I can see it being fine. Even as a small vehicle light it would work fine.

Lets get to some photos:

some quick beam profile shots, First up is the thrunite on High (252 lumens)
_MG_7951.jpg

While this isn't bad with camera features turned down to see profile, lets compare it to:

-Surefire E2dl
_MG_7954.jpg

You can obviously tell beam pattern differences here. While I was sure it would fall short to the surefire, I was hoping for a more par with:

-Fenix E12 on high (running 14500):
_MG_7953.jpg

The reason I stuck with the 14500 in the e12 was I wanted to see with the levels the e12 is at (~200 lumens) how would it compare to thrunites "252 lumens" As I'm sure you can tell, its not quite there. If I'm able to find a 14500 that works in the t10 it may be interesting to revisit this and see how it goes.

Lets head out side now.

I have preferred a light leaning more towards the throwing side of things. There is a place for a flood with the things I do, but I have a standard that has held with me for a while. If I can easily see something at roughly 30 meters (100 feet) I have confidence in a light that stays in my pocket. Though I will always have others that have more throw and raw output. my edc needs to cover that basic need for me. On top of that there is comfort of carry, UI, runtime and all the other bits.

So lets find a suspect!

heres our suspect tonight, coniferous female, naked, approximately 60 years of age. Caller reports loitering/suspicious activity in local park :popcorn:
control light is fenix pd35 on high (~950 lumens) Our target is 60 paces (roughly 30 meters for me) in distance. What I refer to as my standard.
_MG_7962.jpg

As you can see, not a hard task as this output/reflector style.

Lets take a look at a surefire E2dl
_MG_7961.jpg

Again, more then capable of completing this task. Reflector style really aids this light, is a great thrower for its output.

Next, is the thrunite t10.
_MG_7959.jpg

Not quite what I was hoping for.. While all other factors (expect for the 14500s I have won't work) on this light fit the bill. I just doesn't quite make the cut.

Now I look at the Fenix E12, running olights 14500.
_MG_7960.jpg

Lastly even the Olight S1a on 600 lumens almost doesn't do what I need (among other things that I have had issues with) flood on this light is pretty good though.
_MG_7958.jpg

At the end of this, I find my sticking with the E12. The thrunite will be put to use, just not as dedicated pocket carry. The beam tint of the thrunite is great, infact I prefer it (NW) and while its claimed run times and UI are more what I'm looking for, I just doesn't quite do it for me.

Thanks for taking a look everyone, let me know what you think! This is still a great light, just some things to keep in mind if its one you're looking into this light.

ven

Flashaholic
Great pics and feedback, yes the T10 lights are not throwers, more just a general close up type beam.

mb200k

Newly Enlightened
Good Evening everyone,

Ive recently been in the process looking for my ultimate edc (pocket light) aa sized flashlight. There are many things that come into play other than just raw lumen out put, as I'm sure most of you know. This will be a look at the factors that work and do not work for me. That being said, let know what you think!

So, things I wanted to find in a light of this size:

1. Easy of carry
2. Build quality
3. Price
4. lumen output (quality of)/UI
5. 14500 compatibility

Now with that said, the thrunite, from what information I could find on the 252 lumen model, fit that bill for me. However, it didn't quite measure up to what I was looking for.

While the quality, price, carry-ability and lumen output (for the most part) were fine. It did not work with my 14500s from olight. Maybe this is a battery design issue? hopefully someone can help me here. Either way, it fell slightly short.

Size wise, its almost identical to my E12. It does not however have what i was expecting for throw. Which was a downer. That said for some in other applications, I can see it being fine. Even as a small vehicle light it would work fine.

Lets get to some photos:

some quick beam profile shots, First up is the thrunite on High (252 lumens)
_MG_7951.jpg

While this isn't bad with camera features turned down to see profile, lets compare it to:

-Surefire E2dl
_MG_7954.jpg

You can obviously tell beam pattern differences here. While I was sure it would fall short to the surefire, I was hoping for a more par with:

-Fenix E12 on high (running 14500):
_MG_7953.jpg

The reason I stuck with the 14500 in the e12 was I wanted to see with the levels the e12 is at (~200 lumens) how would it compare to thrunites "252 lumens" As I'm sure you can tell, its not quite there. If I'm able to find a 14500 that works in the t10 it may be interesting to revisit this and see how it goes.

Lets head out side now.

I have preferred a light leaning more towards the throwing side of things. There is a place for a flood with the things I do, but I have a standard that has held with me for a while. If I can easily see something at roughly 30 meters (100 feet) I have confidence in a light that stays in my pocket. Though I will always have others that have more throw and raw output. my edc needs to cover that basic need for me. On top of that there is comfort of carry, UI, runtime and all the other bits.

So lets find a suspect!

heres our suspect tonight, coniferous female, naked, approximately 60 years of age. Caller reports loitering/suspicious activity in local park :popcorn:
control light is fenix pd35 on high (~950 lumens) Our target is 60 paces (roughly 30 meters for me) in distance. What I refer to as my standard.
_MG_7962.jpg

As you can see, not a hard task as this output/reflector style.

Lets take a look at a surefire E2dl
_MG_7961.jpg

Again, more then capable of completing this task. Reflector style really aids this light, is a great thrower for its output.

Next, is the thrunite t10.
_MG_7959.jpg

Not quite what I was hoping for.. While all other factors (expect for the 14500s I have won't work) on this light fit the bill. I just doesn't quite make the cut.

Now I look at the Fenix E12, running olights 14500.
_MG_7960.jpg

Lastly even the Olight S1a on 600 lumens almost doesn't do what I need (among other things that I have had issues with) flood on this light is pretty good though.
_MG_7958.jpg

At the end of this, I find my sticking with the E12. The thrunite will be put to use, just not as dedicated pocket carry. The beam tint of the thrunite is great, infact I prefer it (NW) and while its claimed run times and UI are more what I'm looking for, I just doesn't quite do it for me.

Thanks for taking a look everyone, let me know what you think! This is still a great light, just some things to keep in mind if its one you're looking into this light.
How does the e12 run with the 14500? Is it too hot? I tought it would fry with the voltage.

ven

Flashaholic
Are you using a button top? my t10's will take 14500 efest ones and i can see quite a difference. They are the original T10 lights though and not sure if different to todays drivers (xp-g2 LED's as well ). Low stays super low as per AA nimhs, medium is like a high and high i would guess getting on for 300lm kind of output...............its brighter than a D25a on 14500 fuel anyway.
Can see some beam pic comparisons on eneloops and 14500 on page 6 here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Steel)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO/page6

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
Are you using a button top? my t10's will take 14500 efest ones and i can see quite a difference. They are the original T10 lights though and not sure if different to todays drivers (xp-g2 LED's as well ). Low stays super low as per AA nimhs, medium is like a high and high i would guess getting on for 300lm kind of output...............its brighter than a D25a on 14500 fuel anyway.
Can see some beam pic comparisons on eneloops and 14500 on page 6 here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Steel)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO/page6
Not sure if olights count as button tops, they do have a protruding end, but no where near the end of say a saft 14500. I may order a couple more that are more pronounced and try them.

Thanks ven!

*edit

The t10 does with a non rechargable 14500 (saft) so I'm guessing it's and issue with the olight battery design. I will get some ordered that have a more pronounced top, looking underneath it appears it's just not connecting properly.

Last edited:

tops2

Enlightened
How does the T10 (with Eneloop) compare to E12 (with Eneloop)? I like how the E12 has a more "useful" (to me) medium level. Mine on Eneloops were ok for indoors, but lack outdoors (which is expected).

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
How does the T10 (with Eneloop) compare to E12 (with Eneloop)? I like how the E12 has a more "useful" (to me) medium level. Mine on Eneloops were ok for indoors, but lack outdoors (which is expected).
We're planning to order a few of these as well.

Some interesting findings:

Fenix e12 -

Cheap alkaline: normal outputs

Saft 14500: does not work

Olight rechargable 14500: works with a higher output (though it seams medium and high meld brightness wise, low seems between medium and high with a normal battery)

Thrunite t10 -

Cheap alkaline: normal levels

Saft 14500: normal levels (to the eye)

Olight rechargable 14500: does not work

Once I have some differntly designed batteries and enelopes in hand I will update asap.

tops2

Enlightened
Haha..no problem and no hurries. I was curious what an apples to apples comparison when using the same battery. Even using the same type of alkaline in both is fine.

I've liked how the Thrunite lights I've considered had a moonlight mode, but always wish they had a medium mode. On the flip side, I've always using the Fenix I had has a moonlight mode, but I like the usable medium mode too.
With my Zebralights, I program mine with basically a moonlight/medium/high modes.

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
Haha..no problem and no hurries. I was curious what an apples to apples comparison when using the same battery. Even using the same type of alkaline in both is fine.

I've liked how the Thrunite lights I've considered had a moonlight mode, but always wish they had a medium mode. On the flip side, I've always using the Fenix I had has a moonlight mode, but I like the usable medium mode too.
With my Zebralights, I program mine with basically a moonlight/medium/high modes.
In that case as soon as I'm home I can run some comparisons on these two with the same battery.

Also one of the big things I like with the thrunite is the moonlight. One less thing I need to use my Keychain light for.

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
So here is a little closer look.

- Size and bezel comparison -
_MG_7969.jpg

_MG_7972.jpg

Now, all lights were run with a cheapie aa alkaline (dynex brand) all on their low setting.

Thrunite T10 (0.2 lumens)
_MG_7978.jpg

Fenix E12 (8 Lumens)
_MG_7982.jpg

Olight S1a (5 lumens) there is also a firefly mode here.
_MG_7985.jpg

Next on Medium modes

Thrunite (13 lumens)
_MG_7980.jpg

Fenix E12 (50 lumes)
_MG_7983.jpg

Olight S1a (50 lumens)
_MG_7986.jpg

All lights on high mode

Thrunite T10 (252 lumens)
_MG_7981.jpg

Fenix E12 (130 lumens)
_MG_7984.jpg

And finally Olight S1a (220 lumens)
_MG_7987.jpg

Hope that helps a little, will also try and get some outdoor shots at these levels.

tops2

Enlightened
Thanks for the beam shots!
For my preferences, I like the beam of the T10 going from your pictures. While it's a good light, I was never a fan of the smaller hotspot of my E12. But from your pictures, I'd probably go with the Olight S1A for their lumens levels and the wide hotspot. (I have the Olight S1 and like it for EDC purpose).

But thanks again for taking the time to do the beam shots!