*2016* ZebraLight SC63 and variants like the SC63w

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still talking batteries? Too many notifications. Unsubscribing.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still talking batteries? Too many notifications. Unsubscribing.
That is a drastic choice and one I hope you will reconsider.

As one who took part in writting about the battery issue, I have made an effort to stop and will try to continue.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are the largest customer base? Please show me the data! A lot af people are. CPF has approx 5300 active members. Even if 10% bought Zebralight it would still be nowhere near enough to keep the company in business. Many people like myself are waiting for these new models because they are optimized for unprotected cells and have a high quality built in protection circuit. I can use the highest quality Panasonics knowing that the protection circuit (the curcuit itself) is not some low budget design from some unknown manufacturer. Who makes the protection circuit for your cells? I do not mean who installs them on the battery under their own brand name, but who is the actual manufacturer of the proyection circuit board? Who knows?

I did not say "largest" man, I said large. Do you know many non-flashaholic people that even know what Zebralight is? Because I dont and neither does anybody I know. I know a lot of outdoorsy people who use lights frequently too. Zebralight is a niche market company and are not sold in almost any common stores, only factory direct or from specialty flashlight stores. I would guess that most owners have at least visited CPF or another flashlight forum to find out about Zebralight. Also, as I said, its not just about protected vs non-protected, its about the cell having to be exactly 65mm with no tolerance at all, not even for a button top, and a controversial contact design that may or may not hold up over time. Plus, whats wrong with making it fit both so everyone is happy and people can use whatever cells they already have? Makes more sense doesnt it? You like unprotected, some dont. It can be a personal preference thing or just using what cells you already have on hand instead of being forced to source more(which can be hard to find depending on location), that you may not need, that are exactly 65mm. As for who makes the protection circuit in protected cells, a lot are made by Seiko Instruments Inc(opened shop in 1937). They are far from an unknown manufacturer and are a much larger company then most, if not all, flashlight companies. The PTC maker is listed in some cells specs and if not some companies will provide the information upon request. Also, most companies who rebrand cells and add a protection circuit also give a warranty on the cell and protection circuit(usually 12 months or more unlike bare cells). I for one, trust Seiko far more then any flashlights company, especially Zebralight who is known to have spotty QC, from time to time, and many issues requiring returns and exchanges. Seiko has been making high quality timepieces and electronics for almost 80 years.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I mostly meant enough with the endless discussion on the battery related stuff. But fine. You two seems interested in the debate. I'll just check less often.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mostly meant enough with the endless discussion on the battery related stuff. But fine. You two seems interested in the debate. I'll just check less often.

Sorry if this topic is not of concern to you and is cluttering up the thread. I apologize for talking so much about it but, it is a fairly large issue to some of us and I am hoping Zebralight will take note of that. I like what they have to offer most of the time and am just hoping that this design doesnt become the norm as I prefer more flexibility in cell compatibility and the traditional spring contact design.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I agree it's time to move on from the discussion of the battery. People have differing opinions and let's leave it at that.

I like the the prospects of the XHP35 emitter. My one concern is whether the neutral variant will have a nice tint or if it's more green or yellow? I've read a few reports of green/yellow tint with the XHP35 and was wondering if someone who has an MK3 can comment on the tint compared with neutral XM-L2 emitters. The CRI is higher at 80 vs 75 for the SC62 with XM-L2 emitter but I'm wondering how consistent and nice the tint is.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I agree it's time to move on from the discussion of the battery. People have differing opinions and let's leave it at that.

I like the the prospects of the XHP35 emitter. My one concern is whether the neutral variant will have a nice tint or if it's more green or yellow? I've read a few reports of green/yellow tint with the XHP35 and was wondering if someone who has an MK3 can comment on the tint compared with neutral XM-L2 emitters. The CRI is higher at 80 vs 75 for the SC62 with XM-L2 emitter but I'm wondering how consistent and nice the tint is.

I am wondering this as well. Also, how about tint shift? Does the NW XHP35 still have the yellow corona fading to purple spill effect that most XM-L2's have?

gunga

Flashaholic
Good point. I've read little on the xhp35. I think reports are mixed (but generally good) on the sc600 iii, but I'm working from memory.

markr6

Flashaholic
I am wondering this as well. Also, how about tint shift? Does the NW XHP35 still have the yellow corona fading to purple spill effect that most XM-L2's have?

I found them to be consistent on my SC600 MKIIIs. The member I sold the NW 4500K to thought it was too green; I guess I could see that. Definitely no yellow-purple though. The 5700K was a bit too cool for me, but just barely.

SC600_tints.jpg

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found them to be consistent on my SC600 MKIIIs. The member I sold the NW 4500K to thought it was too green; I guess I could see that. Definitely no yellow-purple though. The 5700K was a bit too cool for me, but just barely.

SC600_tints.jpg

I became completely unsatisfied with the CRI of my H52Fw overnight. The change of heart came out of nowhere. So from now on I will purchase only hi cri ZLs.

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
I became completely unsatisfied with the CRI of my H52Fw overnight. The change of heart came out of nowhere. So from now on I will purchase only hi cri ZLs.

I'm just a newb, but I hope I don't develop a strong preference for NW or high CRI because it would really limit my choices :-/ So far my SC5w is my only neutral light, though I have a SC63W and Nitecore EC4SW on order.

Last edited: