*2016* ZebraLight SC63 and variants like the SC63w

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I respect personal preferences but from a technical/factual standpoint NW Hi CRI emitters render colours more accurately, cause less glare, penetrate rain, dust and fog better and are much closer to natural sunlight. Really, the only downside is the slight lumen penalty.

[Emphasis added]

My own preference is for neutral tint and high CRI. When another states a different preference, however, saying that they see better under a cool white flashlight, I accept them at their word. The only "fact" that I care about is that they are better at judging how well they see than I am.

I somewhat agree, like I said "I respect personal preferences" but facts are facts. The colour rendering index doesnt lie and NW hi CRI emitters are superior at all the things I stated, its scientifically proven. That said, one can prefer whichever they like; CW or NW, low or hi CRI and there is nothing wrong with either personal preferance.

This is complex. I agree on one thing. If your perception system is a camera or computer, then the things you cite are "facts." Another thing I agree with is that high-CRI is bound to do a better job discriminating between colors, no matter what perception system you use.

The only small thing with which I do not agree is this: Perception is as much psychological as it is physical. Our brains perform all sorts of visual-processing feats that transform the signal it receives from our eyes. Our brains do not see what a camera sees or a computer measures.

When it comes to tint, with CRI held constant, I question whether it is a fact that all people will report that, "Neutral-white emitters render colours more accurately." I believe a significant minority among the population will report that colors are more accurate for them under cool-white light. They are not wrong.

Note that this is not asking a person what their preference is. It is asking them which tint more accurately renders colors. Color itself is a psychological phenomenon, entirely manufactured in the brain. (Light has frequency, not color.) It should not be surprising that perception of color "accuracy" would be a subjective, psychological phenomenon.

This, of course, depends on the degree. Given a sufficiently blue (i.e., cool white) tint, we can probably get the overwhelming majority of people to acknowledge that it does not do a good job representing colors. But given a moderately cool light source, I expect that many will report seeing color better with it.

BTW: This is all conjecture on my part! I am not an expert. Nor have I read any scientific studies on the subject.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
We don't want to be fair. We just have discussed the battery thing to death.
Didn't you mean to write in the 'first person' of "I" rather than "we"? :wave:

The 2 pages of comments on "ZebraLight's new 12-volt models require an **Unprotected Battery**" seems to indicate that your "we" was not a complete or a total agreement. ;)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said earlier- I'm down to argue about arguing protected vs unprotected .. Just not the cells themselves. ;)

Slightly higher CRI and larger hotspot with smaller size & unique emitter is why I'm interested in these.

nbp

Flashaholic
If we want to be fair, all of this cool white/neutral white, regular/high CRI talk of the past few pages is about as related to the topic as the forbidden protected/unprotected battery talk that was shunted off elsewhere.

The problem was that there was post after post that had NOTHING to do with the light at all, where people were discussing battery construction, protection circuits, thermal runaway, Boeing and Tesla battery packs, safe current draws etc. etc. It was off topic and the debate was stifling the discussion of those who actually wanted to talk about the features of the light. At some point, it is more productive to start a separate thread when a specific topic begins to take over the spirit of the original thread and/or discourage participation of other interested members. Your rights to bicker end where it infringes on others' rights to read, comment and learn in peace.

The arguing about whether or not you can argue is becoming more than a little annoying to me. I am not interested in this light and growing weary of visiting this thread simply to babysit. Please stop whining. :dedhorse:

fnsooner

Enlightened
I am sorry if there already posts about this but too many battery size jabber to look through it all......what does anybody think of the design of sc63? I am not sold but if the emitter is spectacular I may be interested.
It is hard to say with out actually carrying one and using it for a while. It looks fine to me. One thing I have found out with pocket knives and pocket flashlights is that you can examined them and read about them ad nauseam, but you never really know until you use them for a while.

The most defining moment in my flashaholic experience is when I received my SC60. The SC63 is being called a throw back to it. The SC62 beat out the SC60. So who knows?

When I head out the door in the morning, the SC62w and the SC63w will both be within arm's reach. I will definitely grab the SC63w for a month or so at first. What I will be carrying in three months is the question.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. Since I have an SC62w this will be a great comparison to see which I like better. On paper the SC63 is a winner. It has higher output, shorter length, lighter and 80cri vs 75. The one unknown at this time is the new design and grip, I have a feeling ZL wouldn't have gone this route unless it provided some big advantages. I'm just speculating here but the concave design may feel more natural in the hand while the ribbing at the top and bottom helps with keeping a good grip. The smooth portion also should in theory make the pocket clip friendlier to pockets instead of shredding them like some ZL clips have done.

Another area I'm excited about is the potential for the high CRI options in the future. It sounds like they for sure plan a SC63Fd/c series with the potential to do some 90+ CRI SC63d/c lights also, although they said that one was uncertain. I noticed in looking at their website that many of their lights are on "back order" status so it appears they've had a busy Christmas and they're still trying to keep up with demand. Hopefully the shipping time for the SC63 will be on time or ahead of schedule.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
423 posts and no one has actually reviewed or even seen a real one. What does that tell you? Everyone wants everyone else to know what they think.

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
423 posts and no one has actually reviewed or even seen a real one. What does that tell you? Everyone wants everyone else to know what they think.
Yep, I think part of the anxiety in this thread, at least from my perspective, is that a lot of people are very fond of their SC62(w) and all they want Zebralight to do is to sell them another if it gets lost or another is needed as a gift or something. The SC63 may be another great light but it is not the SC62.

The SC62 will be no more.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
At first I didn't like the design however after looking at it more I actually like it and think it might prove quite functional. I'm thinking the smooth and concaved center portion will provide a nice grip while the ribbing on either end will help prevent slipping...

I doubt it. I hated the completely smooth body on my old SC51. That light never felt secure in the hand. The ribbed body on the SC52, 32 and 62 only felt marginally better. The ribs prevented the light from slipping perpendicular to the grooves, but provided no more security than a smooth tube against slipping parallel to the grooves.

Both felt vastly less secure in the hand than a light with even a moderate amount of knurling.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt it. I hated the completely smooth body on my old SC51. That light never felt secure in the hand. The ribbed body on the SC52, 32 and 62 only felt marginally better. The ribs prevented the light from slipping perpendicular to the grooves, but provided no more security than a smooth tube against slipping parallel to the grooves.

Both felt vastly less secure in the hand than a light with even a moderate amount of knurling.

I agree. I think Zebralight really needs to ditch the fugly ribs and/or smooth bodies and stick with knurling like on the SC600 and SC5 series but, give us a flat spot under the clip so they dont cheese grate our pants. There is a reason why almost all brands of lights use knurling and I dont think ditching one of the best features of a good light is worth it just to try and differentiate themselves from the pack(they already do that with their excellent drivers, UI, and various emitter options)

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
So couldn't one buy another SC62 now?

Probably. Although I don't think any can be found in stock anywhere.

ZL put the whole SC62 series on the discontinued list and then the SC62d sold out and was taken off their site. I assumed that's what would happen to all of the others as they sold out. Low and behold the 62 and 62w sell out and they get put on backorder and not removed from their site. So I am not sure what ZebraLight's intentions are. If I were ZL as long as they sell, I would keep making them.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I don't hate knurling but I tend to gravitate away from it. I have several knives and flashlights with it and none of them have made the cut as something I use much. I think it is probably pretty important when wearing gloves, but I don't wear gloves enough to miss it. With bare hands, I think the grooves in the SC62 work great and help to keep weight to a minimum. I think the SC63 will probably be similar.

I ECD'd the SC60w for quite a while and never missed knurling. I think I prefer good ergonomics to help me hang on to my pocket things. The Spyderco Caly 3.5 with a carbon fiber handle is my go to pocket knife and is a good example of this. I keep it clipped inside my right back or right front pocket. The handle is very smooth and slips in and out of my pocket frictionlessly.

If I am doing something outside and need to wear gloves, I use my Spyderco Military and a flashlight with a forward clicky tail switch.Both have good knurling. I guess it kind of depends on the application.

I think having the SC600 and the SC5 with knurling and the SC63 and SC52 without knurling gives everyone a choice.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I think the grooves in the SC62 work great and help to keep weight to a minimum...

I don't think the presence or absence of ribs or knurling has anything to do with weight savings. The DQG 18650 Tiny IV is almost fully knurled and weighs less than a Zebralight SC62 and SC63.

I think it's purely a stylistic choice of "what looks good and feels good". Here, in my opinion, Zebralight made the wrong choice.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I don't think the presence or absence of ribs or knurling has anything to do with weight savings. The DQG 18650 Tiny IV is almost fully knurled and weighs less than a Zebralight SC62 and SC63.
That may be true about the weight. I just assumed that if you have a tube and cut away some grooves and concave the center, it will decrease weight and improve ergonomics. I guess you could just start out with a thinner walled tube and keep the weight the same or lighter.

Also, I have never really checked out the DQG. It appears to have an acrylic lens which would save some weight and have nothing to do with the knurling and might skew the comparison.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
Like I said earlier- I'm down to argue about arguing protected vs unprotected .. Just not the cells themselves. ;)

Slightly higher CRI and larger hotspot with smaller size & unique emitter is why I'm interested in these.
+1

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of a throwback to the SC60... I think I like it.

cpf-sc63-2.jpg

cpg-sc63.jpg

I like it. The lack of knurling in the center is an asset, not a deficit, IMO. No more shredded pockets.
My similarly sized Armytek Prime C1 has no knurling, and feels secure in hand. I expect the SC63 will also feel secure.
If it had a tail switch, then I might want some aggressive knurling.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it. The lack of knurling in the center is an asset, not a deficit, IMO. No more shredded pockets.
My similarly sized Armytek Prime C1 has no knurling, and feels secure in hand. I expect the SC63 will also feel secure.
If it had a tail switch, then I might want some aggressive knurling.
Makes sense! Never needed much knurling myself. Maybe once it would have stopped a butterfinger drop.