2021 build: Leef 3x18650 Halogen flashlight

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A moment of silence, please, for Tad Customs website.

Thank you.

May we get back to it?

I want to hear about lamps. Tell me what I am I looking for. What are the tell tale specs of what goes in the G4 socket (fivemega's and Tad's)? A couple different fivemega super lamps, of course... but what can we do on the cheap? Is there no point in searching for lamps?

Can I get to high lumens? Is 2000+Lm out of the question?

Also just want to add, but not detail reasons quite yet... probably not until December... Greenbean is a bloody saint, and I am not worthy.

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
2000+ Lumen is not out of the question: just look at FM's FM09, with his brilliant FM1909 bulb (11.5V / 5.5Amps if I remember correctly). Now THAT is raw power :)
2200 Lumens according to FiveMega.

But: I'll tell you a secret: less incan Lumens are also more than worthwile... I personally love the WA1274 and WA1166 bulbs!! These have around 700 Lumens or a bit more. And what about the IMR M6 from Lumens Factory? 1000 Lumens! I can tell you from experience: bloody brilliant! But also their HO-M3T (for a 2-cell li-ion setup) that just draws 2 Amps is a FIRM favorite of mine. This way, you will easily have over an hour of incan goodness per charge in a SF M6.
But don't forget their simple Seraph SP-9 with an ES-9 "energy saving" reflector module in it. Unbelievable how much light a 7.6V / 0.85A bulb generates...

A moment of silence, please, for Tad Customs website.

Thank you.

May we get back to it?

I want to hear about lamps. Tell me what I am I looking for. What are the tell tale specs of what goes in the G4 socket (fivemega's and Tad's)? A couple different fivemega super lamps, of course... but what can we do on the cheap? Is there no point in searching for lamps?

Can I get to high lumens? Is 2000+Lm out of the question?

Also just want to add, but not detail reasons quite yet... probably not until December... Greenbean is a bloody saint, and I am not worthy.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
2000+ Lumen is not out of the question: just look at FM's FM09, with his brilliant FM1909 bulb (11.5V / 5.5Amps if I remember correctly). Now THAT is raw power :)
2200 Lumens according to FiveMega.

I was planning on getting 4 of those FM1909, but had no idea they were that bright! They're not cheap, and overdriving must take a toll on them. Some of the other cheaper lamps I listed were higher amp, but the advertised lumens is a lot less.

But: I'll tell you a secret: less incan Lumens are also more than worthwile... I personally love the WA1274 and WA1166 bulbs!! These have around 700 Lumens or a bit more.

That is still surprisingly bright. I think it is super fantastic that new Welch Allyn lamps can still be found.

I am going to get and dedicate a tackle box to this build, fill the drawer sections with something soft, label everything, and have a pair of lint free antistatic inspection gloves, a small bottle of alcohol, and lint free disposable wipes kept in there. I ordered Tad's halogen socket, but I also want to find fivemega's halogen socket... one for low beam, one for high, so there will be easy swapping in the dark between the two.

And what about the IMR M6 from Lumens Factory? 1000 Lumens! I can tell you from experience: bloody brilliant!

Just found the product page and bookmarked it into my halogen lamps folder. Not cheap, but I am sure it is worth it, potted, and in my experience, LF lamps last.

But also their HO-M3T (for a 2-cell li-ion setup) that just draws 2 Amps is a FIRM favorite of mine. This way, you will easily have over an hour of incan goodness per charge in a SF M6.

I'll need an 18650 dummy cell for this.

But don't forget their simple Seraph SP-9 with an ES-9 "energy saving" reflector module in it. Unbelievable how much light a 7.6V / 0.85A bulb generates...

That's a different flashlight, but Mark is practically giving them away. It is not on any physical list of mine, but has always been on my virtual list. Very attractive P60 flashlight, and SP9 will run 2x AA with a 3V R30 lamp assembly (if they can be found).

Thanks 325addict... this is good stuff. But I was hoping for a way to find unknown lamps, hopefully bargains. I want to explore, discover something, and enthusiastically inform the board, "hey, guess what I found?! A 12V 500W 20,000Lm G4!!! Only lasts 2 minutes, but it's just 10¢" Unlikely, but you get the idea. Most of the lamps I linked above have higher amp specs than FM1909, but the advertised brightnesses are not nearly as impressive.

What makes a lamp bright if not amps? What idea could I have, just looking at advertised 12V G4 bipin halogen specs on product pages, of what that lamp will do? I thought just looking for higher watts, thus higher amps, would get me there, though at 50W+ that tends to get into GY6.35 sizes.

There is something elusive to me about what lamps are going to be impressively bright. Is it that one must over drive just enough, but not too much? FM1909 at 11.5V seems odd in that... I challenge anyone to find another 11.5V G4 lamp. In that range, they're all listed as 12V. I think fivemega gets his own custom lamps. That must be how he got FM1909, thus the FM in the name. I never thought it was a radio tuned to 190.9Mhz.

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found, by trial and error, that the minimum incand "search light" config for me is a 50mm reflector with at least 20W bulb in it. which is between 600 and 800lm, I guess. I would prefer twice than that, so I am looking forward to having a 1909 setup one day.

But the cost of such a setup would probably exceed $200 which is not that much less than a FF05 ($299) which is a massively more powerful AND power efficient light. And the happy owners say that the tint is fantastic.

So I am torn at the moment

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the cost of such a setup would probably exceed $200...

I priced it out with all new parts with what is available (and I love that all parts are available to complete the thing... see my thread starter to see the part list) at $253 pre shipping with 4 FM1909 lamps.... but that price is without the cells, and with a Seraph tail cap and z41 twisty switch only costing total about $20. I assume everyone else wants to spend a lot more on the tail cap and switch.

which is not that much less than a FF05 ($299) which is a massively more powerful AND power efficient light. And the happy owners say that the tint is fantastic.

There is a pink 500Lm LED zoomie called FF05, and that just can't be it, so you're going to have to spell it out longhand, please, to let me know what you are referring to. I assume it is LED? See no practical difference between LED and incan lumens?

Noticed fivemega sells G6.35 lamps. So there is a G6.35 bipin socket? I bet that is only for Mag or a fivemega special host, and won't fit in M size turbo heads.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, I was drooling over that in a new thread that led me to older threads for the FF4 & FF3. Still incan. I approve.

I think the practical difference, beyond lumens and runtime, is durability. You could beat a bison to death with an M (please don't do that!), and it should still fire without issue. I don't think an FF5 will withstand being dropped.

325addict

Enlightened
You should take ONE thing into consideration when overdriving bulbs: their life @ spec. There's NO WAY of overdriving the WA1166 (11.6V / 1.97A) much as these are rated for only 20 hours, on the other hand, the WA1164 (6V / 3.28A) has 2500h(!) life @spec and can be massively overdriven.

I was planning on getting 4 of those FM1909, but had no idea they were that bright! They're not cheap, and overdriving must take a toll on them. Some of the other cheaper lamps I listed were higher amp, but the advertised lumens is a lot less.

That is still surprisingly bright. I think it is super fantastic that new Welch Allyn lamps can still be found.

I am going to get and dedicate a tackle box to this build, fill the drawer sections with something soft, label everything, and have a pair of lint free antistatic inspection gloves, a small bottle of alcohol, and lint free disposable wipes kept in there. I ordered Tad's halogen socket, but I also want to find fivemega's halogen socket... one for low beam, one for high, so there will be easy swapping in the dark between the two.

Just found the product page and bookmarked it into my halogen lamps folder. Not cheap, but I am sure it is worth it, potted, and in my experience, LF lamps last.

I'll need an 18650 dummy cell for this.

That's a different flashlight, but Mark is practically giving them away. It is not on any physical list of mine, but has always been on my virtual list. Very attractive P60 flashlight, and SP9 will run 2x AA with a 3V R30 lamp assembly (if they can be found).

Thanks 325addict... this is good stuff. But I was hoping for a way to find unknown lamps, hopefully bargains. I want to explore, discover something, and enthusiastically inform the board, "hey, guess what I found?! A 12V 500W 20,000Lm G4!!! Only lasts 2 minutes, but it's just 10¢" Unlikely, but you get the idea. Most of the lamps I linked above have higher amp specs than FM1909, but the advertised brightnesses are not nearly as impressive.

What makes a lamp bright if not amps? What idea could I have, just looking at advertised 12V G4 bipin halogen specs on product pages, of what that lamp will do? I thought just looking for higher watts, thus higher amps, would get me there, though at 50W+ that tends to get into GY6.35 sizes.

There is something elusive to me about what lamps are going to be impressively bright. Is it that one must over drive just enough, but not too much? FM1909 at 11.5V seems odd in that... I challenge anyone to find another 11.5V G4 lamp. In that range, they're all listed as 12V. I think fivemega gets his own custom lamps. That must be how he got FM1909, thus the FM in the name. I never thought it was a radio tuned to 190.9Mhz.

konifans

Enlightened
Been reading old Lumens Factory threads. Wow the complaints about the BK anodizing on the LF turbo head. Poor Mark. I just want something that works, and I am pretty pleased the parts are still available. Generally, when in use, you can't really see the flashlight itself, just its beam.

I read this thread, and I ordered this turbo head, and I am going to return it.
There are a few problems I do not like:

1. The beam does not focus, I guess you need to use washers
2. Sharp edges - very sharp and that may cut your fingers
3. Uncoated lens

If you have a Surefire KT4 there is no reason to buy this one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yKJegt68nE92LWHMYbEdlr6ww7Hc-HMn/view?usp=sharing

konifans

Enlightened
It is 2020 and for super bright incandescent I still think that this one is the solution of everything, if you accept that it is made in China (just same as Lumens Factory). However it is discontinued and very hard to find one these days.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?462537-Magic-Scorpion-Transformers-(12V-50W)

uc

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a Surefire KT4 there is no reason to buy this one.

I did not have a hope, but Greenbean offered me a Leef KT4 build and I jumped on it. The only reason I'd get the LF Turbo head is because it is very reasonably priced... to test out cheaper unknown lamps before using in the KT4. If a lamp is going to explode, I'd rather it be in the less expensive head I can easily replace.

That flashlight really great, G6.35 ready! thx for posting.
Magic Scorpion Transformers 12V/50W noted.

Apparently there is a "Fancier Version" in 24V/250W !!

r7tdnyp.jpg

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see how I can take any beam shots. I can't hold the "camera" steady while holding the light. But Greenbean's Leef/KT4 build arrived, and I took a couple snaps before the sun went down... next to what were previously my largest lights.

wvKk6b7.jpg

FH7zlMy.jpg

The build is just immaculate, and Greenbean included all kinds of things, lamps, cells, shims, extra tail cap, I am overwhelmed. From here on, I am going to call it, "The Greenbean" in his honor. I'll need to get a Pelican for it, and I can't get that for a month or two. I need to get one of RPM's smooth Ti bezels when I can afford to, and then find someone who can get the crenellated bezel off and install it (no vice's or strap wrenches here). More importantly, I need to learn how to focus lamps. This thing is incredible, and my face is in pain from smiling for the last hour and a half. I have surely been blessed.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your to kind,

Lol....

I'm just thankful someone who appreciates it for what it is has it now and can use it and enjoy it.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You were right. Shoots forever... lights up everything away over there and everything on the way, across either side of the creek here. I tried to take some beam shots, but nothing comes out.

qN8S3h1.jpg

8UlUZKF.jpg

pbtga1T.jpg

325addict

Enlightened
At least you were able to upload pictures ;-)
I could take nice pictures of such things as beamshots, as I know how to operate a camera in manual, but... then I have nice pics which I cannot upload here :-(

You were right. Shoots forever... lights up everything away over there and everything on the way, across either side of the creek here. I tried to take some beam shots, but nothing comes out.

qN8S3h1.jpg

8UlUZKF.jpg

pbtga1T.jpg

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the focus theory with G4 bipins? What is the object in setting the lamp in the socket to have the lamp focused for the reflector?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the focus theory with G4 bipins? What is the object in setting the lamp in the socket to have the lamp focused for the reflector?

There is a certain point within a reflector, on the axis. If you place a tiny source of light to this point, all the rays will be reflected so that they leave the flashlight as a tight beam, all parallel.

If you move the source out of this point, the beam would get not tight.

You can find this point by trial and error setting the bulb more or less deep into the socket