Fenix lights to the Rescue!

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two stories I have to tell about my Fenix P3D and L0D which are quickly becoming my favorite EDC lights... even though they are my most inexpensive ones to date... If anyone is riding the fence on purchasing either of these , read below.

P3D - I was at a Sundance ceremony in the middle of nowhere Montana on a Reservation with a friend of mine recently and we were in the process of assembling the lodge. We had gotten a late start and were still putting on the top poles which made up the "roof" of the lodge. We had placed about 8 logs already and still had about 6 more to go, but the light was fading quickly. We were having trouble seeing where to place / thread the last poles and everyone was struggling with the logs as they were about 50 + feet long and were very heavy. After accessing the situation and realizing that no one was really running the show, I whipped out my handy dandy trusted Fenix P3D and shined it at the top center pole for all to see. It was like the sun had come up, or nearly so after working in near dark for the past while. Success! I stayed on "Light Duty" until the rest of the poles were placed and assisted other small detail work throughout the rest of the night. It was only after that I had busted out my little pocket flame thrower that the people parked around the outer circle of the lodge thought to turn on thier car headlights, which provided ok flood, but not the spot that was needed for the top of the lodgepoles. The coolest part of it all was the response that I received from several of the men helping assemble the lodge. "WOW, what kinda light is that", "I thought you had some big 'ol spotlight out here", " where did you get THAT at?". Pretty cool experience overall as this was my first real world use that I put my light to. And after this, my friend who had given me frequent ribbings about buying so many lights and carrying them, thought a little differently after this!

L0D - I was visiting my family in Georgia and was attending church last Sunday. There had come up a pretty nasty storm during the middle of the service when all of a sudden the power went out. Now this is a rather large church that can seat about 400 - 500 people, but was only partially full at the time. There are no windows in the main area and the only light that was visible was coming in from the doors in the back where we entered at. Well, the pastor made light of it and continued to preach until he got to a point where he needed to read his notes. He asked someone for a cell phone to light up the pages, but this didn't work at all. By this time my girlfriend was elbowing me to " go up there and give him your light to use" . I hadn't offered yet as I was new there, was a little shy and thought " Someone must have a flashlight in here". When no one else volunteered, I whipped out my little Fenix L0D and walked up to the pulpit next to the pastor. He noticed me just as I arrived at his side and said " Oh, you're visiting aren't you". I said "yes, and I've got your back". I was going to hand him my light to use and return to my seat, but instead I was made his personal assistant for the rest of the service shining the light where he needed it at. He's quite animated so I had to follow him around as he walked about some. It wasn't until the end of the service that the staff finally brought out this big 2 x 6volt older style light with a huge 6" head on it. Funny thing was, it wasn't much, if any, brighter than my little L0D. He finished the rest of the service without problems. All this time though I was kicking myself in the butt for not throwing in my P3D in my pocket that morning. I thought about it, but was like... "It's daytime and I won't need it". I had only been carrying the P3D if I was expecting to be out after dark up until then, but no more. My P3D AND L0D are my new best friends.

Long winded but I hope at least entertaining to a few people in here. Like I said, I have far more expensive lights, but for some reason, the Fenix lights have become my favorite EDC lights. Maybe because if I loose them or they are damaged, I'm not out too much money. Never the less, I love my Fenix lights!:rock:

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost forgot to mention... I'm estimating that the distance to the top of the lodgepole that I shined my P3D onto was about 100 feet. Although I had my P3D for sometime now, I was still amazed at how much throw and brightness this little pocket light had!:thumbsup:

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
You'd never realize how much light you can put out until you're in an area with -absolutely- no ambient....such as a basement in an office building.

I remember being in a lab during a power outtage, and the E-lights didn't kick on immediately. For the first minute, my vanilla original P1 lit up an entire 16 station computer lab with ease. A minute later the gennie kicked over, but still it was great to see how much actual usable I had inmy pocket.

allburger

Enlightened
I just sold my fenix p3d. That light could do anything. With it's tailstand capabilities you could do anything indoors that required decent lighting, or hold in and do anything outdoors you needed.

I sold it because i'm a big fan of throw because i love to hunt, camp, and fish so i tend to focus more on the p60 style lights like the surefire's and cheap copies for rough work where i don't care if i bang the light up.

For some reason I always took extra special care of my fenix.

Great story!!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
All this time though I was kicking myself in the butt for not throwing in my P3D in my pocket that morning. I thought about it, but was like... "It's daytime and I won't need it". I had only been carrying the P3D if I was expecting to be out after dark up until then, but no more.

When you don't have a light, you'll need one. Probably because a light is useful every day! Glad to hear you still had your L0D on you ;)

EV_007

Enlightened
Good story. Nice combo. I have both of them and feel that they are some of the most useful lights Fenix makes.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing. This is why I always carry my D10 (formerly L1D) and E01 or L0D with me. You never know when you need extra lighting.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice stories! Where would we be without our EDC's?
In the dark :poof: :laughing:

Happened to me the other night. Around 3:30 AM an a nasty thunderstorm popped up. Since I had to get up to shut down the computers and close all the windows to keep the rain out, I figured I'd go to the bathroom.

Was doing my business when the lights went out. We have LED nightlights all over the place so my vision impaired wife can see at night if she has to get up, so it's never totally dark. I had forgotten how dark it gets when there are no lights at all. :candle:

I told my wife I guess I'll have to start carrying a light to the bathroom at night just in case.
Her response "Just go an buy an LED light for the bathroom". Sweet!!!!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL always take a light to the bathroom.

I sleep with my EDC. My wife is so glad I got the D10. When I EDC'd the L1D, the plastic clicky would sometimes drive her crazy because I'd play with it until I fell asleep. With the D10 I can still play with it, and the super low setting combined with the silent PD tapping doesn't bug my wife as much. :D

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL always take a light to the bathroom.

I sleep with my EDC. My wife is so glad I got the D10. When I EDC'd the L1D, the plastic clicky would sometimes drive her crazy because I'd play with it until I fell asleep. With the D10 I can still play with it, and the super low setting combined with the silent PD tapping doesn't bug my wife as much. :D

NOPE! Never done that before.... No Sir... Not Me!:whistle:

PharmerMike

Newly Enlightened
djans,

Your experience in church reminds me of this:

In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)

Great job in both situations!

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Great Story- Thanks for sharing it! Excellent combination of lights, as well. Its great that you were able to help so many people in such a short time!:thumbsup: Keep spreading the Light!!