New led light bulbs at wal-mart

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this has already been posted on....

Last week I saw a bunch of led light bulbs at one of the Walmarts near me. There were 45 watt equivalent "pure blue" floodlight bulbs, and an assortment of "cool blue" and "warm white" regular edison bulbs and candelabra bulbs. All of the candelabra/edison bulbs were 40 watt equivalents. I bought all of the floodlight bulbs that they had (about $18.00 a piece) and I have installed them in all of the dusk to dawn fixtures on my house, they are about the same brightness as the 90 watt incandescent bulbs that I was using before!

Just wondering if any one else has seen these. They only seem to have them at one of the walmarts near me. I've bought about 25 bulbs so far, only five of them were the flood bulbs. I still need 8 more. None of the other walmarts seem to have them.

Newly Enlightened
No, there are made by "lights of america" I believe. I'll take some pics and post them.

THanks!

Please include the UPC number and the Walmart SKU if you can- if it's not too much trouble that is.

That information will help me track down where they're being sold in corporate.

GE is going to be starting a big press campaign for LED lighting soon- this winter I believe- so this may get interesting.

chocho

Newly Enlightened
I have installed them on an outdoor security light that is very difficult to access. The main reason I bought these lights was for longevity - since I don't want to have to replace them for many many years.

Thoughts:

They are not as bright as I had hoped - they are maybe as bright as a 40W incandescent light bulb. More importantly - they are quite directional. This is perhaps why they do not seem as bright. Instead of radiating in all directions like an incandescent or CFL bulb, most of the beam is focused like a spot light. I guess that's to be expected given the LEDs that they used. They would be perfect in a museum to highlight a piece of art work or a trophy. Not so much for lighting up a room.

Perhaps it was the choice of bulb I bought as well. As stated above, there are several variants they sell.

I just installed one of these about a month ago so I cannot comment upon longevity.

-Chris

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
So far i've been really happy with the flood lights. The color isn't very attractive for the uplighting that I have on my house so I just have them in the floodlights.

The upcs....

Flood: 755277200300 Indoor spot:755277200409 Candelabra:755277202502

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I have 3 different types of the Lights of America LED 120vac light bulbs with the E26 base (regular lightbulb type). All are the $6 ones, no floodlights. I have the track lighting type, the candleabra type, and the round regular light bulb looking one (UPC 7-55277-20268-7, P/N 2026LED-65k-24, Bright White Light). Of the 3 types of bulbs, I find that I only like the last one. It's the brightest of the 3. Light from the bulb is very smooth and puts out light more like a regular light bulb (ie: not as directional, closer to 360 degrees). Gonna buy some more. Of the 3 Wally Marts near me, only 1 even has the LED lights. :mad:

Oznog

Enlightened
The stuff I just saw at a Wal Mart in Austin, Tx was "LED Accents" and IIRC were mostly in the ~$8 range. Floods, candelabras, etc.

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of the Lights of America candlebra bulbs on a whim a few days ago. It's supposed to be warm white and 40 watt equivalent. I wouldn't call it warm or 40 watt equivalent. I'll let the pics speak for themselves:

Lights of America 1.5 watt warm white:
IMG_2880.jpg

40 watt candlebra incandescant:
IMG_2881.jpg

superjoe83

Newly Enlightened
i bought one of the PAR38 models to replace a motion sensor light on the shop, well about a month later with very little use, (maybe 30min tops a day) one section of leds are out and one single led has burn out because the die is black, im going to take it back and get another one to try, i hope this is just an isolated case, heres a pic:

badled.jpg

here is a pic of the bad LED:

baddie.jpg

Last edited:

radar696

Newly Enlightened
I was able to find a little info using a search on this forum about lights from CCrane but I thought that I would bring it up again.

I know that the prices are high compared to other types of lighting but I wonder if it's worth it for hard to reach areas or even those that are constantly on?

So has anyone been following this light?
http://www.ccrane.com/geobulb/index.aspx

They are trying to get it totally approved for home use which I'm sure would be a great plus for them but has anyone picked one up to see how it compares for light output?

Just wondering and I thought this would be a good thread to post the question in.:candle:

Canuke

Enlightened
I would expect that you'll see a lot of bad/cheap implementations at this level, just as we've seen with LED traffic lights. We'll just have to wait for the shakeout to eliminate the bad products/brands.

I'd avoid any 5mm based products, except for Christmas lights.. and even there, the pattern was visible in the early days. I just tossed out one of my first-gen "Foreverbright" (cough) light sets, as about half of the emitters in it are sputteriing or dead after only some hundred hours' use.