Surefire FiveMega body + Malkoff question

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I got Surefire 9P with Malkoff M60.
I just got two FiveMega bodies for it, 18500 and of course 18650. They are shown on the pic with the original body.

Good stuff. The knurling is awesome, just right. The light just sticks to my hand. Much better than on stock 9P body. This is the body that Surefire should have made.

However, there is about a 2mm gap between the bezel and the body. I know it doesn't affect functionality but can I put a O-ring in there (at least to prevent dust from getting in), and if so, what size?

Is it feasible for FiveMega to make adjustments so further revisions of these bodies are a perfect fit for Malkoff M60x modules?

With M60 module, I had a tiny gap (maybe 0.8mm) between the bezel and the stock 9P body, I filed the module a bit and it's a perfect fit in the original 9P.
If it fits in 9P, it should fit in any body that replaces it...

I am afraid to file it some more since it might not a great fit in the original 9P anymore.

Of course I should note that the incan module like P90 fits perfectly with FiveMega bodies, the bezel screws down all the way.

fivemega_all.jpg

fivemega_gap.jpg

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Okay, I got Surefire 9P with Malkoff M60.
I just got two FiveMega bodies for it, 18500 and of course 18650.

I don't get it. Previously you have said:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2651811#post2651811
Need some feedback on the choice of extended body for SF 9P with M60 module. Read the reviews, the runtime, the specs and still cannot decide, and no, 'get them all' is not an option.
So here we go:
1. 2x17500 cells, keep the stock body for easiest EDC
2. 2x18500 body - slightly larger body, same length. Gain runtime.
3. 2x18650 body - best runtime but also longer, not best for EDC
So now you have decided on having all three body types anyway after creating a g_d-awful # of threads trying to decide upon which one over the last 2 months?!?!

However, there is about a 2mm gap between the bezel and the body. I know it doesn't affect functionality but can I put a O-ring in there (at least to prevent dust from getting in), and if so, what size?
Try using a ruler or some other measuring device. As hominids, we are tool users.

Is it feasible for FiveMega to make adjustments so further revisions of these bodies are a perfect fit for Malkoff M60x modules?
Have you tried asking them?

With M60 module, I had a tiny gap (maybe 0.8mm) between the bezel and the stock 9P body, I filed the module a bit and it's a perfect fit in the original 9P.
If it fits in 9P, it should fit in any body that replaces it...
I am afraid to file it some more since it might not a great fit in the original 9P anymore.?
Try to recall some of your other threads you've created - a fair number of posters replied back that this wasn't a real issue to worry about. You filed it anyway, and now you're finally beginning to be worried about how the modules fit going back and forth between various hosts? Hello?

Of course I should note that the incan module like P90 fits perfectly with FiveMega bodies, the bezel screws down all the way.
Which is probably what FiveMega will tell you when you ask them. Their business goal is probably not to attempt to perfectly suit only your every whim.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, two bodies almost for the price of one Leef.

I know FiveMega never guaranteed it fitting the Malkoff M60 module, in the main for sale thread it was strictly incan as far as I understood.

I will post a more detailed review once I get the AW cells in. I decided not to mess with 17500 cells, too low capacity, since the 18500 body pretty much does everything the stock 9P body does.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please don't let "gaps" get in the way of enjoying your lights in the dark. I have a good number of various sized D26 drop-in's, both Incan and LED and have them in various lights that use the "C" bezel and the gaps range from zero to about three mm.....and I certainly don't loose any sleep over the issue......it only takes a change in the drop-in to change the gap size.....do yourself a favor and give up the gap phobia. :)

The seal is inside of the "gap" so no dirt will actually get inside the light anyway.

BTW, this applies to all that have the same "gap" problems on here......please move on.

Last edited:

BigD64

Enlightened
Gene sells the rings for his dropins. Just order it from Malkoffdevices.com I think they are a buck. M60's fit good in G2's but in the 6P's and 9P's there is a little gap. Hence the ring.