instaflashed my 5761's with 2x Emoli IMR-18650's

bxstylez

Enlightened
i just went through 3 bulbs, and came to a conclusion that i cant afford anymore
i let the cells rest for an hr or so when fully charged, and a couple of hrs rest for the other time i tried to "light the way"

i guess i'm going to stick with the osram 64275's (very, very white!) until i get some kind of soft-starter for use with the philips bulbs

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I instaflashed 5761s on 2 x KD D LION, with and without AW softstarter.
I think the problem is the AW driver is very low resistance , so even with the softstart, still instaflash with bigger / high performance cells. I think an NTC is a better option for the 5761.

I don't think resting Emolis achieves much. I checked a pack of Sony18650Vs over about a week , started about 4.12v, 7 days later about 4.10v so almost no difference.

The 5761 would be great with a regulated setup.

edit - 2 x AW C LIONs and AW softstarter worked well but it's a hard load on the cells. (as per AW himself)

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Resting regular li-ion does practically nothing, but resting LiMn in my experience will in fact result in some voltage settling. If I charge to ~4.23V on a CC, and let them settle, they will fall to about 4.13V per cell in about 24 hours. And to about 4.10V (which seems to be where they stop their settling for the most part) after a few days. These cells do have the behavior of "settling" that we are more familiar with in nickel chemistry cells, but the settling is on a much smaller scale.

I wasn't able to try the 5761 in my 2x18650 Emoli setup, as I can't get it to fit in my M6, go figure.

Flashing bulbs is always a huge disappointment.

Eric

Patriot

Flashaholic
Resting regular li-ion does practically nothing, but resting LiMn in my experience will in fact result in some voltage settling.

I've experienced that also. I flashed a 1185 on 17670's after the batteries sat for three days. They were charged on a 139 charger and had voltages of 4.20, 4.19, 4.21 off the charger. I have to run the battery set with the EO-M6R to draw them down some first.

FredM

Enlightened
I don;t find a drop on my Li-Ion voltages up to a week after charging. What changes when you guys rest them?

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the emoli solution. I use 5761 on emoli, 26700 but the voltage is the same. Problem is 5761 is touchy and varies between lots on voltage and size acutally. NTCs are also very variable with a very wide tolerance of 20%. Using the 26700 I get @ 30 minutes run time and 10-12 minutes to full charge at 5A with a BC-6. Took a lot of work to do it.
Using an NTC ?
post #25
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2634123&postcount=25
I chose the emoli because I was able to get right up to the flash point with the method described and gained about 50-80 lumens more, that can be up to 10% brighter. You can use two A123 but they reach 6.9 Vbattery (rated 3.3V nominal voltage) and about 6.6Vbulb when used and can be direct drive. Good combinations but you can get 10% more lumens by pumbing 0.4-0.5 volts into the bulb.
The NTC gives the soft start but steady state voltage was too high. You cannot use NTCs in series and parallel, the result is unpredicatable due to the fact NTCs work off heat that is a result of Amps going through it. You change that with added or reduced resitance. So with one of the prescribed NTC s leaves too much voltage after steady state, and I mean that is measured it 10ths of volts. So you reduce the steady state with a resistor, Ohms Law. You must take the voltage readings from the light, not a test fixture, and Vbulb right at the pins. Buy a few bulbs. You will burn a couple while fine tuning to the edge like I did. See the thread it will get you a starting point.
Another very bright 5761 I build was unexpected. I used two D lithium batteries. The PCBs on them are junk and would not work, could not start the circuit. I bought PCBs from batteryspace.com and made a 7.2V pack and those also take care of balancing for series charging so I shuved it into a MagCharge. Undexpectedly the PCB somehow acts like a softs start. It must just start up slow enough to do that.
Another M*gCharger 5761, but why
Both these lights are the brightest 5761s I have built and if you searched the 5761 key word, you see I have done a few. The emolie is a good choice but will take some work to get there.
Someone, QUICK! give us a regulator!!
Ok, how do you spell it: emoli? emolie? e-moli?

We need a regulator for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts