KD SSC P7 8x7135 2.8A Board ?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was running my P7 mag with the KD 3 mode board with 2xD Li-Ions and I am now having my Mag cut down the 1D so I can run 1xD Li-Ion. Since my previous board required a minimum of 5.5v, I need a new driver setup.

Is anyone running this 8x7135 2.8A board from KD?

Thoughts? Comments?

I wasn't exactly thrilled with the previous board so I'd like to get some opinions before buying this one.

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of some high quality protected "D" size Li-Ion cells?

Thanks everyone,
Robert

freedom2000

Newly Enlightened
I was running my P7 mag with the KD 3 mode board with 2xD Li-Ions and I am now having my Mag cut down the 1D so I can run 1xD Li-Ion. Since my previous board required a minimum of 5.5v, I need a new driver setup.

Is anyone running this 8x7135 2.8A board from KD?

Thoughts? Comments?

I wasn't exactly thrilled with the previous board so I'd like to get some opinions before buying this one.

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of some high quality protected "D" size Li-Ion cells?

Thanks everyone,
Robert
HI,

I am currently using more or less the same (see here) and I am very happy with these AMC7135 boards.
But be aware that with a single Li ion, you will not get the full power very long... 2.8A on a single cell... it will drop down under 3.5V very fast (10 min max) and then the AMC chips will switch to direct drive mode...

JP

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I went ahead an ordered the driver from KD. Does anyone have any recommendations for some high quality protected "D" size Li-Ions?

Thanks,
Robert

Greg G

Enlightened
If you're going to run that P7 off one C Li-Ion why not just direct drive it? :shrug:

If you want variable output use a D2DIM. :twothumbs

freedom2000

Newly Enlightened
If you're going to run that P7 off one C Li-Ion why not just direct drive it? :shrug:

If you want variable output use a D2DIM. :twothumbs

+1
The AMC7135 is pretty much inefficient on a single li ion cell...
But withthe P7 you will need a multi mode solution to dim the led not to over heat the pill... You can only run it at full power not more than 10 min then let it rest a bit to cool and again full power.
So my personnal trick is to use it at half power and burst it to full power only when "needed" :twothumbs

On the other hand, when you direct drive the P7 on a single Liion fully charged you can get more than 3A... which is not recommanded both for the P7 and for the liion cell durations...

JP

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AMC7135 based drivers are very efficient with a big LiION cell WHEN you pair it with an emitter that has a low vf, like D***I or C***I bin P7 emitters, = 3.25-3.5V forward voltage. It's really strange how I can get very long regulated runtimes, from C/D***I bin P7 emitters running on 18650 or D-size LiION in the multitude of lights with these drivers I have built so far, when so many say it's not possible. Concerning heat, I've done runtime tests going on for 90+ minutes at full power. It gets hot but I don't think there's any danger running a P7 Mag for an hour or more as long as you hold it in your hand to bleed off heat or use it outside.

freedom2000

Newly Enlightened
The AMC7135 based drivers are very efficient with a big LiION cell WHEN you pair it with an emitter that has a low vf, like D***I or C***I bin P7 emitters, = 3.25-3.5V forward voltage. It's really strange how I can get very long regulated runtimes, from C/D***I bin P7 emitters running on 18650 or D-size LiION in the multitude of lights with these drivers I have built so far, when so many say it's not possible. Concerning heat, I've done runtime tests going on for 90+ minutes at full power. It gets hot but I don't think there's any danger running a P7 Mag for an hour or more as long as you hold it in your hand to bleed off heat or use it outside.

Yes if you can have a very low vf and a very good D size Liion, you are right it can work.
But with non paired devices and poor quality 18650 liion, the battery cannot drive 3A very long... the voltage drops very fast under 3.5V...and the AMC is no longer efficient.

JP