21w LED Canister light help

mangrovejack

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've been reading all the threads in the Dive Light section and am still confused with all the different options for building one of these lights.

Here are my requirements:
* Similar or better output than a 21w Salvo (Light Monkey) HID.
* Run on Lithium 18650 cells (I can build a battery pack in whatever voltage - 7.4, 11.1v etc - most likely 11.1v is needed?)
* Good run-times - around 4-6 hours
* Use as many oxycheq DIY parts as possible (reduce having to get stuff from everywhere - I'm in Australia so shipping from the US is always a bit expensive, so want to minimise shipping costs).

Looking around, I still can't figure out which LED to use. Which in turn means I don't know what light head to use - I don't want to go the maglite route - hence the reason for oxycheq parts as I like their lighthead.

I will be using a Delrin canister - this can be any size - but preferrably around 2.5"-3.5" maximum diameter and up to 10" in length maximum.

Anyone have any hints/tips as to what I need for my purposes?

Thanks.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only Oxycheq light head I have seen is the HID one and its not going to work with a LED. Have they got a new one?
Why not use a maglite? They are very easy to work with and a tried and true design.

A quick calculation tells me if you run a 20w LED set up you need at least 14 (2S) or 15 (3S) Li Ion 2500ma cells to get 6 hours run time at full output. Thats going to be pushing you can dimensions to the max.

The only single LED that will put out more lumen than a 21w HID is probably the SST-90.
I suggest you check out my W300 thread. My latest build uses a SST-50 which should give you a good idea of beam shape and output.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only Oxycheq light head I have seen is the HID one and its not going to work with a LED. Have they got a new one?
Why not use a maglite? They are very easy to work with and a tried and true design.

A quick calculation tells me if you run a 20w LED set up you need at least 14 (2S) or 15 (3S) Li Ion 2500ma cells to get 6 hours run time at full output. Thats going to be pushing you can dimensions to the max.

The only single LED that will put out more lumen than a 21w HID is probably the SST-90.
I suggest you check out my W300 thread. My latest build uses a SST-50 which should give you a good idea of beam shape and output.

As it has been discussed many times before, you can get similar lumen output as HID with LED... The hard part is getting the beam right.

I have done a 6 on 6 battery pack in a 2.75" OD canister so 7 on 7 should be within the 3" OD canister range 10" long- no problem...

If you really want 21W HID output... best bet is probably 21W HID... Just saying!

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. Nothing is as similar to a 21 w HID than a 21 w HID. LEDs can put out more light but the beam will be different. Also the salvo is focusable while generaly speaking LEDs are not.

mangrovejack

Newly Enlightened
Hi Packhorse and 350xfire,

Thanks for the replies, I was hoping that both of you would reply to my thread! :)

Packhorse, I found the following post from you regarding a light you built (I hope its ok to link to another forum - but in case its not, you built a light with 4 Cree Q5 LEDs and has a total power consumption of 20 watt including the driver electronics):
http://www.divematrix.com/showthrea...ing-LED-Primary!&p=53962&viewfull=1#post53962

I was actually mistaken when I wrote HID, I actually meant Salvo 21w LED light. I know if I wanted a HID, then I should just build or buy a HID. My current light is a Dive Rite 10w HID.

I was hoping to get the same sort of punch that Packhorse's light above shows. However the thread is from 2008, so wasn't sure if LED/driver advancement meant that there were better options out there now.

It doesn't have to be a single LED solution either, multiple LED's are fine with me.

Packhorse, in terms of the oxycheq lighthead, no there is no new one, its just that I find theirs to be a nice size and comfortable to hold (a friend had one - HID though). Not sure why I couldn't use that lighthead with LED's though? If not are there other solutions, or does it mean custom machined?

I will checkout your W300 thread.

Thanks.

mangrovejack

Newly Enlightened
Just found this group buy thread (http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=217586) here on cpf for Cree XP-G R5 LED modules.
Option number 3 or 4.

Is that something that would suit what I am after? I know that will necessitate a custom light head or a different one from the oxycheq, but that's fine with me, and after doing a little more research, that lighthead appears to be too big for LED's anyway.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the Oxycheq was a test tube HID. Perhaps I am wrong.

The 4 Cree XR-E design is still king of my lights. A SST-90 aspheric comes close but has a wider less intense beam which some may prefer. I have high hopes for my next build which is a W300/SST-90 but that is a different beam, more like a HID I guess. Bright tight spot with spill light.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the Oxycheq was a test tube HID. Perhaps I am wrong.

The 4 Cree XR-E design is still king of my lights. A SST-90 aspheric comes close but has a wider less intense beam which some may prefer. I have high hopes for my next build which is a W300/SST-90 but that is a different beam, more like a HID I guess. Bright tight spot with spill light.

Is that project going to use a reflector?