Aluminum headlamp for P60 drop ins - proto pics

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all
I first started sharing info here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218404

Sgt. LED has been encouraging me to keep moving on this project ;)

This should accept any P60 drop in, and be changeable in seconds.

The brackets are functional, but I need to work on some more ideas in that area.
The proto light you see mounted is open in the back.
The idea is to have the back closed with a + contact inside.
The longer light has a switch inside.
This works pretty well, but I think I would prefer to keep the body shorter with the switch on the battery pack.

My bezel size/design allows maximum spill from the drop in. No tunnel vision effect.

Here are a few pics of what I have right now.

I hope to work on this more soon, and get some parts made to share.

P2110110.jpg

P2110111.jpg

P2110114.jpg

P2110112.jpg

P2110105.jpg

P2110106.jpg

Please excuse the cat fur
P2110107.jpg

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:twothumbs lovecpf

Put the + contact on the rear, put the switch on the battery pack, and tell me how much to Paypal you!

:cool: Good job. You did particularly well giving us as much spill as possible!

You're making my dream headlamp. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Yea with a M60LLWF it would just rock. Crazy long regulated output with flood and warm tint. Also someone could drop in a M60 etc for more throw. Heck even a standard Incan too just for fun. So much goodness I wonder why this has never been done?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I wondered the same thing for a long time. Finally I made a thread asking if anyone could do it and Moddoo appeared!

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks very nice:party:

Looking forward to seeing the final switch design. I just need the head, but I imagine most users would want a full package.

Sverre

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I know! I was being an *** that day I think. :eek: Oops

Oh well I'm entitled to 1 or 2 days a year! :crackup: Shame I burn through about 279 of them a year...................

steveG

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics Moddoo! I've been following the initial thread as well and have been looking forward to the progress.

Maybe these thoughts have already been expressed by others, but this is what's been on my mind.

What about building a headlamp "kit" that would allow someone to use the bezel and drop-in out of their existing light? Basically, a base that you would screw your 6P/G2 (and other similar lamps) bezel onto and voila, a great headlamp with endless options! You could also make it so the body and switch of the donor flashlight could serve as the battery holder and switch.

My imaginary kit in a nutshell:

• Base/pivot that a 6P bezel and drop-in will thread on to.
  • A wire harness from the base to an adapter that threads in place of the bezel on the body of the donor flashlight.
  • Headlamp strap and holder for body of donor flashlight. Or, a harness long enough that would allow the user to put the flashlight body in a sheath or pocket.
There's my kooky idea! Keep us posted on your progress.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You could also make it so the body and switch of the donor flashlight could serve as the battery holder and switch.
  • Headlamp strap and holder for body of donor flashlight. Or, a harness long enough that would allow the user to put the flashlight body in a sheath or pocket.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug and THAT is a hell of an idea!
Use the body and switch you already have!
Genius
Just toss it into your pocket and go. WOW

I could run a 2X18650 tube all the way down to a 3P tube. I think it's brilliant man.

A Surefire C bezel thread sized cap with a hole drilled in it for the cord and a spring in there. OH and an O-ring.

Last edited:

steveG

Enlightened
Use the body and switch you already have... Just toss it into your pocket and go....

That's exactly what I was thinking. Anyone that knows me will tell you I am a "Keep it simple, Stupid" kind of guy. This way you don't have to carry more than one light (yes, I realize how silly that sounds on this forum!) but still have the option of a hands free light if needed.

I have the majority of this imaginary lamp built in my head, but unfortunately don't have access to a lathe which would make it easier to bring to fruition. If someone here (ahem, Moddoo) would like to take the idea and run with it, all I ask for is a discounted rate.. hehehe!

I've been tempted to buy a cheapo 6P clone to hack up and weld to create this Frankenstein, but haven't had the time or inclination to get to work on it... I'm hoping someone else will do the hard work for me!

EDIT: Obviously, you could also do this for an E-series style light....

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think somebody did just that for a bikelight a while ago. DaFab? :D

Great idea it is:poke:

Sverre

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love it, great work.
:thumbsup:

:takeit: That is if you ever fin time to build more of them.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics Moddoo! I've been following the initial thread as well and have been looking forward to the progress.

Maybe these thoughts have already been expressed by others, but this is what's been on my mind.

What about building a headlamp "kit" that would allow someone to use the bezel and drop-in out of their existing light? Basically, a base that you would screw your 6P/G2 (and other similar lamps) bezel onto and voila, a great headlamp with endless options! You could also make it so the body and switch of the donor flashlight could serve as the battery holder and switch.

My imaginary kit in a nutshell:

• Base/pivot that a 6P bezel and drop-in will thread on to.
  • A wire harness from the base to an adapter that threads in place of the bezel on the body of the donor flashlight.

I have twisted Sgt. LEDs original idea into this very same kooky idea.
It is a good one.

A couple of thoughts on that:
-The SF bezel will not shed heat nearly as well without any fins.
---Shouldn't be a problem with Malkoffs or other reasonably driven XR-Es.

-The SF bezel is nearly as long as my entire light, and could become front heavy
---A clever bracket could help in this area.

-The bulge on the SF bodies will not carry as nicely as a perfect cylinder.

Still, I do like the idea. If you guys push hard enough, I might do it.:grin2:

I know this simple round finned design is not new around here. I did come across the bike light I think.

This design is optimized for size and interchangeability.

It was funny to come across several other similar lights after I had cut a few parts.

But, simple is good.

I have plans to make 40 pieces of the head, and have them Hard Anodized.
(this is not a sales thread, if these become available, I am sure admin will want me to pay the dues, that is fine)

Maybe I will offer it as a complete body, with a lens. o-ring, + contact, and wire...

Brackets/ batteries will have to come later.
Maybe once you guys start to play with them, we can come up with a good universal design for these parts.

Also in the works:
Simple headlamp with good heat management and no reflector/optic that you can drop any led (or 2) into.
No battery or switch included.

I will test it with a P7 or 2 in the next couple weeks.

Last edited:

Latest posts