Magcharger as base light for a Mag85?

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be possible to modify a Magcharger into a Mag85?
I own a 3 D-cell (3-D to 9AA adapter) Mag85,which I would love to continue using,but I can't seem to get the batteries out.(battery pack is wedged in and I can't pull it out of the light). I think a Magcharger would make a excellent host for a Mag85,as you don't need to mess with removing the batteries to charge the light.
(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum..I wasn't quite sure where my question would fit.)

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a 3 D-cell (3-D to 9AA adapter) Mag85,which I would love to continue using,but I can't seem to get the batteries out.(battery pack is wedged in and I can't pull it out of the light). I think a Magcharger would make a excellent host for a Mag85,as you don't need to mess with removing the batteries to charge the light.
(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum..I wasn't quite sure where my question would fit.)

Some people have done this using 9AA to 3D battery holder and replace the bulb with WA1185.
In this case, your stock charger won't work and charging cradle must be connected to proper charger.
Since temperature of WA1185 is much higher than MC bulb, it will be necessary to protect or replace stock bi-pin holder with high temp socket.

iapyx

Enlightened

Do you already have a Magcharger?
If yes: best upgrade is a bulb change.
Drop in a Philips 5761
Also change the socket and get one of FM's ceramic sockets for the MC, if still available.

It's not a M@g85 yet. But it's darn bright and easy to recharge in the MC cradle.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have replied to this question many times...

search key words: MC, mag charger, m@g charger, and 5761. 1185 was an original hot wire but the 5761 was discovered some time later and turned out to put out more light. 1185 has a whiter beam, and narrower spot and abotu 100 torch lumens less light.

The best modified mag charger I build put out about 1336 bulb lumens. Runs about an hour.

I took lithium D batteries, in this case they were already protected with lousy circuits so I removed the protection.

Took a Batteryspace.com pcb which made the two lithiums a 2s, 7.2 V pack and the pcb balance charges the cells! It also replaces the diode that is in the charging rings and protects agains shorts. The third and unexpected thing but most vital aspect is the batterspace pcb causes the light to soft start!.
So the mod to the light is simple. Add some mica or ceramic blanket to the socket to protect it from the base of the bulb heat. Open the reflector hole about to 10 mm to accomodate the 5761. Do this with a dressed ball grinding stone. Connect a 7.2V smart charger to the charging cradle pins, you can leave the OEM charger in place. Remove the protection diode.

Oh, yes, frost the lower 2/3 of the bulb with Armor Etch for a smooth beam pattern

This set up beats the NiCd and NiMh mods I have tried.

MC reflectors handl all that heat well and are designed for throw. One other improvement which is not necessary is to change the socket to a high temp ceramic socket. You can build them yourself, see my posts or get an FM if they are available.

Now you have a light that will out perform the one that I built that threw out to 2,272 feet! You can search my user name for posts and threads, I put a bunch out on mag chargers.

Only one other light I have messed with that competes with this is a 5761 on a 3C mag with charging jack, emolie 26700 batteries, smo reflector, frosted bulb and a peculiar 254 mm aspheric lens. This set up gives an extremely wide hot spot and yet is a spot light easily out just past 200 yards. Beat up the 1185 variants I built. Runs 28 minutes and with emolie charging at 5 amps charges in 15-20 minutes. Copied from:
Magcharger How good is it? is my response:

Brightest Simple Mag Charger Mod, brighter than the 1160
Another M*gCharger 5761, but why this is my brightest, best MC mod
NTC soft start cures 5761 insta-flashes in MC
MagCharger Hot Wire hosts?
2,272 foot throw from my MagCharger! This mod has now been bested by the lithium powered MC I built noted above.
Lithium Charging In MagCharger-Expert NEEDED! about the diode

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too would vote for sticking an aftermarket bulb in the MC. I have a WA1160 in mine and it is awesome, and some of the other bulbs may be even tastier.

Edit: I have to try the Phillips 5761 now.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run mine with some FiveMega goodies: the ceramic socket and extenders.

I run a WA 1164 on 8 1/2D NiMh cells from BatteryJunction. It also works well with 7 cells and an 1160. The drawback to my setup is the large filament of the 1164 so the beam isn't the prettiest up close or the longest throwing. But it puts out plenty of light. Lights up a whole treeline at over 600'.
I went with this option because the 5761s that I have don't fit into my MagCharger stock reflector.

I'd like to try and compare an 1185 with a 9AA setup as well as a 5761 to my 1164 someday.