My Novatac helped me last night...

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
My mother-in-law called me on her cell at around 10:30pm last night saying their was a person laying in a ditch on our dirt road. (we both live a half mile down the same dirt road) She asked me if I could come with her to check him out (she is a nurse). I said "sure" and I grabbed my Ruger SP101 and my Novatac 120T. As we were coming up to the point she told me I should be seeing him any second now on my side of the car. "He is gone" she said so I figured it was some drunk that had fallen and had gotten his senses back enough to head back down the road.

We were proceeding to turn around when I caught a flash (his reflective shoe) in the woods. There he was laying down totally prone with his arms wrapped over his head. As I was approaching him I saw a second guy a few yards behind him in a prone postion also. I put the Novatac on its second highest setting (70 lumens)and proceeded to ask these young adults what in the world they were doing out in these woods. They were both having trouble seeing me with this intense brightness shining in their eyes. (It was quite obvious that I had an upper hand at this point since I saw that they both were carrying cheap 2C plastic flashlights and the blinding light was making them both very uncomfortable) They said they were just fooling around in the woods. They were both actually in appearance two very clean cut 18 or 19 year old kids that both appeared to be sober and not high on any drugs. I asked where they lived and they said that their house was right down the road and I told them that maybe it would be best that they head off that way...As the second guy is getting up, I notice a crow bar under from where he was laying. He gets up and grabs the bar in a manner they had me a little concerned so I hit the blast mode on the Novatac and he immediately dropped the crow bar and they both headed away from the light toward the paved road.

I truly believe that the Novatac kept the whole situation under control simply by me keeping the light in their eyes the entire confrontation. I never even showed them the Ruger 357 that I had in my front pocket the entire time and I am sure they never knew it was there.

I do regret not seeing where they took off to...since my mother-in-law wanted to head to the house ASAP. She had already called 911 and I met the sheriff 15 minutes later when I drove back to get the free crow bar they had left.

I never actually thought about my Novatac as a real defensive tool; but it sure was tonight. It turned what could have been a violent event into a simple exchange of words and 2 very scared young adults. (and that free crow bar)

Lone Eagle

Newly Enlightened
Great story with good ending. Good to hear that mother-in-law and you are both safe and OK. Do not know what can happen in such situations. The equalizer in your pocket is a must in this case--thankful that it did not have to be call upon. I have an Nova Tac 120P and am aware with what it can can do. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.

ImGeo

Newly Enlightened
Love your story. Now I feel like I need to buy a handgun. :laughing:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good story. Reminds me of an guy I saw on one of those worlds dumbest crooks type shows. The bad guy was tying to get away from the cops on foot. He was wearing all black except his shoes had the reflective stripes on the heels. All the cops had to do was follow the moving shoes. The cops later said that because of they were in rural area with no street lights the guy might have gotten away.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Interesting story. I never really believe stories that high power lights "scare" or "blind" people to a point where they get disoriented to a point where they just run away and avoid getting aggressive. But I guess it does really happen and a more so reason to use powerful lights as defensive tools.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting story. I never really believe stories that high power lights "scare" or "blind" people to a point where they get disoriented to a point where they just run away and avoid getting aggressive. But I guess it does really happen and a more so reason to use powerful lights as defensive tools.

I think it's more of if this guy has a bright light he probably has something else too.

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
Not so much "disorienting" but the fact was I was able to get the upper hand because they were laying down and I had a bright torch shining in their face.

Funny thing was that when I met the sheriff I had forgotten about the Ruger in my front pocket and he asked me if I pulled my pistol on them. I apologized to him for having the concealed gun on me but he made no big deal of it.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
"They were just fooling around in the woods" with a crow bar? Any empty houses on that rd? Late at night with a crow bar and just fooling around does not fit. Your mother and law is lucky to have you around. The light did help and having the pistol didn't hurt.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Good post man and it good outcome too! I know some people will argue that a flashlight is not a defensive tool, but it in my experience (and yours) flashlights helps alot by preventing situations to escalate into where you will really need a defensive weapon. For sheeple powerful bright flashlights are congruent with law enforcemet or the military. When ever I shine my M60 with sheeple around the first reaction I get is " Man, that is a bright light, are you with the law enforcemnt or something..." My wife works in a dental office with a big parking lot, one time her car wouldn't start so she called me. when I got there the car was parked in a dark spot with no lights at the very end of the lot. I asked her to go inside the office and call the mechanic. I sat at the curb waiting beside the car when I saw this car enter the lot. They ran down the cones on the entrance ( the office puts cones there at night to let people know they are not allowed to park there) and drove towards my direction. Now they didn't know that I was there so when they are near enough I stood up and shined my M60 towards them. They stoped on their tracks and made a hastly turn right away. They didn't even give me a chance to ask what they are doing there.

Another thing is disorientation.

it's like what the UFO does when it's about to abduct a human being, shine a bright light to your target to mesmerize them!

wmirag

Enlightened
You showed courage, good sense, and restraint.
Walk softly but carry a big stick.

W.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm I am just thinking that Novatac user interface was helpful...

Jumping from the 70 lumens to High sent a "message".. "He has more!"

But if it were a more complicated go-through-the-100-modes interface ending in beacon, you would LOOSE initiative...

It seems the whole thing is who calls the shots...(pscy-ops)

And just today I found that the McC2S switch that allows easily selectable output i out of stock!