• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Small ripple of Bead Blasted Haiku's **SOLD**

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

This thread is an offering of 5 bead blasted Haiku flashlights:

Haiku-BB-Concrete.jpg

Java-4.jpg

Java-1.jpg

These may well be for the birds but you never know unless you offer them. :)

The bead blast surface is primarily cosmetic with some possible gain in "grip". I have treated these to some consideration of normal wear in that all major diameter surfaces are not blasted nor is the front face or rear lip. These are the surfaces most likely to show marks and the blasted surfaces are somewhat protected. I personally prefer the looks of titanium when it has some variation in testure but cosmetics has never been a key consideration in the design of my lights and the added cost is one that only the user can justify, or not. These lights are intended as users!! I should also state up front that depending on how these are received, I may well do more of the BB Haikus and even just offer it as an option in the future. I don't know what I will do but I don't want anyone thinking that there is no chance of more of these being offered in the future ir that there is any "collector's" value here by virtue of only being 5 lights.

The clips on these lights were first tumbled in coral beach sand for two days and then I scored them with some random tracks from a diamond burr wheel.

Aside from looks, these are the same light as the stock Haiku. I am asking an additional $25 for the surface treatment which brings these to $470 plus shipping.

I will process the e-mail orders for these on a first received/ first processed basis and ideally the response to your e-mail order will be a notification of shipment. I don't want to add to the number of communications by sending an acknowledgment prior to generating the postage notification.

These lights are available on first come first serve basis; as determined by e-mail orders I receive which are clear, concise and include the must have information:

In the subject line of the E-mail please state: BB Haiku
Your CPF name
(if you have one)
Your real name and mailing address
phone number if international shipment
Any exceptions to standard shipping, which is priority mail.
If the shipment is domestic and you want insurance, please so state. (No insurance offered on international shipments)

For my general info on how I process these offerings, please refer to THIS THREAD. For more information on the Haiku, please review THIS THREAD.

All of these lights sport some tool marks and various cosmetic singularities (in addition to the intended changes). Some may be obvious and some you may need to look closely for.

If you receive one of these lights and decide that it does not meet your expectation then you can either lower your expectations or simply send the light back for a full refund. I won't offer an exchange for probably obvious reasons. (please don't abuse this offer)

Like all of my Ti lights, the Haiku is designed to be sealed from the environment and external pressure but I make no claim or suggestion that it is a dive or underwater light.

BB Haiku - $470 plus shipping*

* shipping is via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation or Global Priority mail. If you wish shipping via an alternative method, or signature confirmation or insurance on domestic shipments only, please specify in your e-mail order.

Once again, thank you kindly for your interest and continued support!!

Last edited:

malamalama

Newly Enlightened
Re: Small ripple of Bead Blasted Haiku's

Beautiful Haiku
Improved grip plus unique look
Diamond burr clips rock.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

I'm not a fan of BB myself but these look very nice! The clips look great too!

As usual great pics!

sjalbrec

Newly Enlightened

these look amazing. imho, i think they lend themselves to bb even a bit more than the lunasol 20's because of the xtra fluting on the head. more real estate to alternate the bb with the polished surface.

thanks

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brilliant Don!
These will be a collectors dream!

scout24

Flashaholic

Looks like I jumped the gun... :D These look beautiful Don!!!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
These are all spoken for and in fact, I got two requests over and beyond the five available before I got here to make a notification of the status change. I am going to do a couple more of these to satisfy those requests. I am also considering making the BB version an option in the current offering and if I do, I will edit the wave thread accordingly.

Thanks everyone!! :bow:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, would you disclose what blast media was used and at what air pressure? Sorry if you find this question inappropriate and feel free to delete.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I use a glass bead but don't recall the size. Pressure is 90-120 PSI depending on the compressor status. When I used to anodize titanium, I discovered that any of the media with aluminum oxide or what ever it is would contaminate the surface and not allow for good anodize results. I stuck with the glass which is electrically inert.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Wow 90-120 PSI sounds like pretty high air pressure. Will give it a try next time.

I use a glass bead but don't recall the size. Pressure is 90-120 PSI depending on the compressor status. When I used to anodize titanium, I discovered that any of the media with aluminum oxide or what ever it is would contaminate the surface and not allow for good anodize results. I stuck with the glass which is electrically inert.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, these look great!! I love the jigging on the clips!!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks. Wow 90-120 PSI sounds like pretty high air pressure. Will give it a try next time.

I think the pressure needs to be adjusted for the rig you are using. Mine is a goofy set up but one that has served me well. I purchased one of the plastic bench mount cabinets many years back but found the included gun to be a POS. I had also bought a Speed Blaster for out of cabinet work and it is such a great gun that I integrated it into my cabinet. It's a drag to have to keep filling the sand bottle but I keep the lid off of the bottle and have a plastic cup in the cabinet that I use to refill as needed. When I was doing the Ti earings, I also used a tiny bead blasting pen (think airbrush size) and a small jeweler's blasting cabinet. You could polish the Ti to mirror finish and then go from a fine scattering of dusting to full dull blast surface with the little blasting pen. That rig ran off of one of the super quiet oilless compressors used for airbrushes. You can get some really cool effects by masking the metal with electrical tape in odd patterns or what have you and varying from partial glass bead etch to full surface etch.

On a sort of related tangent, I would love to see some of the scrimshaw (sp?) artists take to diamond burs and titanium as a new medium for expression. You could have functional art that would last centuries and then some. I had one of the very first Spyderco stainless steel folders and I did a very poor job of setting a ruby into it as the sun and proceeded to engrave some waves, beach and palm trees. It was effective enough that I realized had a real artist given it a shot, it could have been really cool! However, the Ti behaves differently with the diamond etch and adds a dimension of highlight and shadow that the stainless steel just didn't have, or so was my impression.

Candidly, I really like the looks of these clips but my hand is so crude and inconsistant that I feel embarrased to mention it. :eek: That some of you are responding favorably is a real moral boost! :duck:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clips look great Don! I actually like the inconsistency of the patterning, that's what adds sort of an organic and handmade touch to the otherwise industrial / tool look.

I personally love the look of my sundrop's clip. It started blasted, but has sort of smoothed up over time, and between that and the scratches on it, it just has a real cool look and feel to it, like the patina on an old tool. I almost want the whole light to look like it.