Regulated Barbolight Bomb-Proof Host with P7, hipCC, and AW C LiIon cells ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
I received the parts for this light a couple of months ago, but now that I am unemployed, I have been able to make enough progress to finish the light.

This is the first of two custom lights for this forum member. This one with a P7, the next one with an MC-E. Goal was to use the AW "C" LiIon cells the owner has, and to make these lights regulated. I am not calling this thread a DIY, but folks with a lathe should be able to duplicate any/all of what I have done here fairly easily - nothing was difficult, just time consuming. Here are some of the parts:
dscf6734.jpg

For reference, these are the prior custom lights that I have built around this outstanding host from Barbolight:
- 3x MC-E:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/232273

- single P7
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/222258

- single MC-E:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/226575

As before, after separating the head from the body, I start by modifying the reflector to fit the head:
dscf6610.jpg

dscf6611.jpg

dscf6612.jpg

The inside of the head must be enlarged in order to fit the backside of the reflector:
dscf6613.jpg

dscf6615.jpg

dscf6616.jpg

dscf6618.jpg

Now the reflector fits:
dscf6619.jpg

Next I worked on the custom Al heatsink:
dscf6664.jpg

Here is the "platform" for the P7 do aid in soldering the terminals:
dscf6665.jpg

The new Do-Grip parting bar makes cutting this 1" of Al a very easy job:
dscf6666.jpg

Here I am making the hollow side that will house the hipCC LED driver:
dscf6671.jpg

dscf6672.jpg

Almost done:
dscf6675.jpg

The driver fits:
dscf6676.jpg

Heatsink is finished:
dscf6679.jpg

Press-fit test:
dscf6681.jpg

Mark holes for the LED wires:
dscf6684.jpg

dscf6685.jpg

Makes the holes on the milling machine and RT - although holes don't have to be "super" aligned":
dscf6718.jpg

Since I plan to make a few more of these regulated versions, I made extra heatsinks at the same time:
dscf6720.jpg

To mount the LED, I used 3m 5mm thin thermal tape (thanks to forum member QtrHorse):
dscf6735.jpg

dscf6736.jpg

dscf6739.jpg

dscf6740.jpg

and then (although somewhat overkill since the reflector keeps the LED in place) I used 2-part epoxy to permanently set it in place:
dscf6741.jpg

I bent the LED wires slightly:
dscf6743.jpg

and tested the hipCC and LED/heatsink combo along with the thermal tape - the thermal tape did superb!:
dscf6747.jpg

dscf6745.jpg

dscf6746.jpg

I marked the heatsink, and then determine how deep in the body it needs to be:
dscf6748.jpg

dscf6750.jpg

Then drill:
dscf6751.jpg

tap:
dscf6752.jpg

and test the set screw that will keep the heatsink in place:
dscf6753.jpg

file clean the threads:
dscf6754.jpg

For the heatsink, George required heatsinking to the actual hipCC driver, so I used the thicker, 10mil thermal tape (thanks to forum member QtrHorse):
dscf6760.jpg

dscf6761.jpg

dscf6763.jpg

Solder the LED wires and test again:
dscf6764.jpg

dscf6765.jpg

For the negative battery contact, I am using Silver two-part epoxy ($$$) along a long surface on the inside of the heatsink:
dscf6768.jpg

dscf6769.jpg

Here I am testing the newly epoxied negative ground connection:
DSCF6770.JPG

Here I am cutting the delrin piece which is fitted to the heatsink, which will hold the positive battery contact:
DSCF6771.JPG

DSCF6772.JPG

Drill hole for positive battery wire:
DSCF6773.JPG

DSCF6774.JPG

Create and epoxy positive battery contact:
DSCF6776.JPG

file the contact flat:
DSCF6778.JPG

epoxy the delrin piece to the heatsink "pill" - the ring on the left protects the P7 LED:
DSCF6780.JPG

Aply thin coat of thermal compound:
DSCF6782.JPG

Set the "pill" in place, install set screw - use threadlocker (overkill since the head will cover the hole):
DSCF6783.JPG

Set the reflector in place against the lens (the RTV gives unlike epoxy, so if/while diving, there would be a small movement possible):
DSCF6777.JPG

Assemble for another test fit:
DSCF6784.JPG

DSCF6785.JPG

Create battery sleeve from Delrin:
DSCF6799.JPG

DSCF6800.JPG

DSCF6801.JPG

DSCF6803.JPG

DSCF6804.JPG

Add internal lip for negative contact Al "cup":
DSCF6805.JPG

Remove anodizing from the very edge of the body to allow for good electrical contact:
DSCF6806.JPG

Here I am fabricating the Al plug for the battery sleeve:

dscf6834.jpg

dscf6836.jpg

almost done:
dscf6837.jpg

This is how it looks like once in place:
dscf6838.jpg

This is how little room I have left for a spring:
dscf6839.jpg

This is how it looks like with a temporary spring:
dscf6840.jpg

and the whole thing works in the end:
dscf6842.jpg

It gets fairly hot after a short while - which it should since it is running the P7 at about 2.8A or so (regulated from 2x LiIon cells).

OK, last photos of this build. To install the spring for the negative contact, I am making a small, shallow cut on the Al plug which will serve to help center the spring. However, since the plug's size makes it hard to grab with the chuck (I should have done this earlier!), I machined a small Delrin ring to grab the Al plug safely:
dscf6847.jpg

dscf6848.jpg

dscf6849.jpg

Here I am done cutting the Al plug:
dscf6850.jpg

Here is how the spring seats in the shallow cut:
dscf6851.jpg

and setting it in place with Silver conductive two-part epoxy.
dscf6852.jpg

This finishes this build. I will post night beamshots tomorrow night.

Will

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Camera on tripod. Manual exposure at 1.5 seconds, lens on wide angle

Set #1
- No flashlights:
DSCF6858.JPG

- SF M6, MN-21 (regulated)
DSCF6859.JPG

- Barbolight P7 (regulated)
DSCF6860.JPG

Set #2
- No flashlights:
DSCF6861.JPG

DSCF6862.JPG

DSCF6863.JPG

Set #3
- No flashlights:
DSCF6864.JPG

DSCF6865.JPG

DSCF6866.JPG

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
holy crap... thanks for this thread.... amazing build... can't wait for beam shots...

what reflector are you using?

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great build and pictures as usual.

I would like to see some pictures of the complete light when it's finished.

ICUDoc

Enlightened
AAAAAAh love these threads. Almost as satisfying as doing it myself (damn these renovations: I want my workroom back!!!).
wquiles does the set screw in the threads make it easy to cross-thread the head as it goes on? Also, any chance of soldering the negative battery lead to a screw then threading that into the side wall to improve conduction? Finally, is there any need to remove the anodising from the inside of the battery tube where the heatsink sits?
Great build, lovely thread thanks!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice project Will.

Is there any way to use a negative spring contact instead of solder? I kind of like having springs on each end of a light (shock), but never could find small springs that can be soldered.

wquiles

Flashaholic
what reflector are you using?
P7 reflector from Deal Extreme - it is too big diameter-wise and too long for this host, but it gives a good beam.

wquiles does the set screw in the threads make it easy to cross-thread the head as it goes on?
The set screw sits below the threads, and since I cleaned the hole with a file, the head screws back with no additional friction than before.

Also, any chance of soldering the negative battery lead to a screw then threading that into the side wall to improve conduction?
If you mean a screw within the pill/heatsink, that is what I wanted to do, but with the walls of the heatsink are a tad too thin for a screw, plus there is a little bit of a catch-22 since I have to have the pill closed/sealed when I press it into the body, but then I would be trying to get to this negative wire blindly - I was not sure it would work great without seeing it. I have used the Silver (conductive) two-part epoxy before, so I went with something I knew would be more reliable instead.

Finally, is there any need to remove the anodising from the inside of the battery tube where the heatsink sits?
No, the set screw provides a solid electrical connection that goes through the body.

Is there any way to use a negative spring contact instead of solder? I kind of like having springs on each end of a light (shock), but never could find small springs that can be soldered.
I have not shown yet pictures of the negative contact side, but my plan is to in fact have one spring on the negative battery contact. The solder contact on the heatsink/pill is for the positive side of the battery.

The reason I have moved to a solid/soldered "+" contact and a spring on the negative for these hots is because once built, they are extremely hard to disassemble. I find it easier to maintain/replace the negative side (which is easily accessible and/or part of the battery pack), than the one on the heatsink/pill which is a pain to get to.

I also like this option also since it provides for an easier way to adjust the overall internal length if/when using alternate batteries (assuming the alternate cells reasonably fit) - you just need a different spring and/or battery sleeve/carrier. As long as a design the positive contact to work with flat cells, I leave the door open to other battery solutions, specially on a regulated light as this one using the hipCC driver.

Of course, what I showed here is not the only way to skin this cat - just one possible way. If there is one thing I learned here in the forum is that given a project, members will come up with very creative ways of getting things accomplished ;)

Will

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Wow every time I read one of your write-up's It makes me wish I had a barbolight host to send you! You do awesome work Will.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Just posted the final build pictures. The only remaining thing to do is to take the night beamshots - tomorrow night ;)

Will

Latest posts