Vision X Patriot LED Light

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope that has newer generation LED's. But that looks awesome... I think I could manage to afford one if it's less than, oh say, $600. But it prolly won't be. This is good though. Looks like they are taking care of new developments in the LED industry, electronics, etc. :popcorn:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
It says 10 watt LEDs so....
The only price I found, and remember this may change because it hasn't been made yet, was $2000 US. Ouch. :broke:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
They are also saying that the output is adjustable- from 0-140%!! That would be over 15K lumens! I'm not sure how long that would last if everyone that bought one, ran it at 140% and blew up their expensive light.

Motorsports Squared

BeachBoy

Newly Enlightened
It's probably the exact same thing as their S1100

http://www.visionxusa.com/led/s1100/

which has been sold for a while.. 900 lumens from a 10Watt LED.

What LED is out now that can output 900 lumens/10 Watts?

BTW the S1100 is $119 USD each... So I would not be surprised to be over $1000 for 10.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are also saying that the output is adjustable- from 0-140%!!

I would hazard a guess that the maximum output is actually 100%. Granted, the "standard" output (or what they would call 100%) is actually about 71% of the actual maximum output, but technically speaking the light will output anywhere from 0 to 100% of the light it is able to output.

Gotta love their marketers for trying.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
It's probably the exact same thing as their S1100

http://www.visionxusa.com/led/s1100/

which has been sold for a while.. 900 lumens from a 10Watt LED.

What LED is out now that can output 900 lumens/10 Watts?

BTW the S1100 is $119 USD each... So I would not be surprised to be over $1000 for 10.

Different "thing" from the S1100 but most likely the same emitter.

The Seoul Semiconductor's P7 will do 900 lumens in its 10 watts. Keep in mind that that is the manufacturer's top rating on it, so, the most of them you will see will be running at 600-800 lumens.

I would hazard a guess that the maximum output is actually 100%. Granted, the "standard" output (or what they would call 100%) is actually about 71% of the actual maximum output, but technically speaking the light will output anywhere from 0 to 100% of the light it is able to output.

Gotta love their marketers for trying.

Haha. Yeah, I would say thats probably a good guess. That would mean that it would be close to its 10,800 lumens on "140" % and at "100" %, it would be 7668ish.

They say over 15k lumens on its "140" % but would that even be possible to do when the actual maximum output of twelve 10 watt LEDs at 900 lumens each is only 10,800? :thinking:

BeachBoy

Newly Enlightened
They can run them at more than rated max...

You can run a MCE at 933 instead of 700 rated, so I guess they can give 140% of the rated output. Like a "turbo" button.

RelativeEng

Newly Enlightened
LEDs are given a maximum rating based on their binned light output at recommended maximum current and forward voltage. This rating is only limited by the thermal handling of the LED package and heatsink. Lighting manufacturers can safely exceed this recommended rating by governing the maximum junction temperature of the LED's die and derate it based on that heat. The Vision-X Patriot does exactly that. It drives the LEDs very hard but backs off when it gets too hot. During forward movement or in cold climates, it will achieve BIG numbers. If it's static in Arizona, it will dim to decrease output. It will always maintain nominal temperatures regardless of the condition, thus it will guarantee rated longevity.

RelativeEng

Newly Enlightened
The Vision-X Patriot runs at maximum rating. It can do this while other manufacturers cannot due to it's built in thermal management computer. It monitors ambient and surface air temperatures and adjusts light output accordingly, thus allowing maximum output when the heat sink can handle it.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
LEDs are given a maximum rating based on their binned light output at recommended maximum current and forward voltage. This rating is only limited by the thermal handling of the LED package and heatsink. Lighting manufacturers can safely exceed this recommended rating by governing the maximum junction temperature of the LED's die and derate it based on that heat. The Vision-X Patriot does exactly that. It drives the LEDs very hard but backs off when it gets too hot. During forward movement or in cold climates, it will achieve BIG numbers. If it's static in Arizona, it will dim to decrease output. It will always maintain nominal temperatures regardless of the condition, thus it will guarantee rated longevity.

The Vision-X Patriot runs at maximum rating. It can do this while other manufacturers cannot due to it's built in thermal management computer. It monitors ambient and surface air temperatures and adjusts light output accordingly, thus allowing maximum output when the heat sink can handle it.

:whistle: And thus, a price tag with 2000 on it. :) :broke:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
:whistle: I have been given permission to show off a sneak peak of the finished light.
Pretty Kick-A if you ask me.
Enjoy!!:thumbsup:

patriot_main.jpg

patriot_back.jpg

Courtesy of Brant M.
Credited to Vision X Offroad

mboni

Newly Enlightened
That's looking pretty darn cool. If I had an offroad vehicle, I'd probably want something like that on the front. :D

Hey LEDobsession, since you seem to have a contact over at Vision X, how about asking them to build something for on-road use, like driving/fog lights with a good cutoff? They seem to have excellent emitter technology, all they would have to do is tweak the optics a bit....

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is certainly a beautiful peice of equipment. And look at that power plug! Bomb-proof overkill in little things like that greatly increase my confidence in the bigger overall picture... Great looking product!

LEDobsession

Enlightened
That's looking pretty darn cool. If I had an offroad vehicle, I'd probably want something like that on the front. :D

Hey LEDobsession, since you seem to have a contact over at Vision X, how about asking them to build something for on-road use, like driving/fog lights with a good cutoff? They seem to have excellent emitter technology, all they would have to do is tweak the optics a bit....

Thats a really good idea. I'll have to bring that up with them.
:thumbsup:

That is certainly a beautiful peice of equipment. And look at that power plug! Bomb-proof overkill in little things like that greatly increase my confidence in the bigger overall picture... Great looking product!

Yeah, thats really cool. I think there was some thought and effort put into this thing.

RelativeEng

Newly Enlightened

There is much more liability involved with road going lights. DOT has stringent requirements and limitations for aftermarket lighting and it costs quite a bit to get their approval. While Vision-X does offer some DOT lights, it will be a while before you see LEDs in primary lighting scenarios. You see Audi and Rolls Royce using them as day time running lights, but nobody is using them for headlights yet.

RelativeEng

Newly Enlightened

Thanks John!!

RelativeEng

Newly Enlightened

kan3

Newly Enlightened
The Escalade PE does not use them for primary lighting. They still use a combination of multi-surface reflectors and projectors for their main lights. You can see some pictures of them on the Caddy website: http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/model/gallery.jsp?model=escalade&year=2009&primary=1&id=0

Marketing gets carried away then, with this quote off its feature list:

"Fully functioning LED Headlamps. LED high beam, low beam, side marker and light pipe. Emits brilliant white light and last 10 times longer than traditional headlamps."