My first Emergency Situation using my EDC Light

supasizefries

Enlightened
I'll try to keep this story as short as possible. Last night I was driving home in the rain in the middle lane when I see a white Jeep Liberty pass me fast in the fast lane. I'm probably like 8-10 car lengths behind him when I see his car oversteer, hit the curb in the left lane, skids across 3 lanes on the highway and slams into the right guard rail HARD. The car tips over onto the driver's side and comes to a stop next to the shoulder. I immediately pull over, turn on my hazards, and run to his car. I pull out my Ti D10 and shine my light into the car to see the person inside. I immediately call 911. I was able to open up the sunroof of his car and kept the driver company while the EMT's and police arrive. When they did arrive, I stood by the windshield and continued to shine my Ti D10 into the car as police and EMT's did their work. It wasn't until the fire department came with their big halogens when I put my Ti D10 away. The FD ended up using the jaws of life to remove the roof of the car so that they could extricate the driver. The driver miraculously escaped serious injury because he was wearing his seatbelt. After the ambulence left I asked an EMT if the driver would be ok. He replies "He's a little banged up but he'll be OK." I gotta say, the D10 performed flawlessly throughout the whole event. I had it on high the whole time and it I think it really helped the EMT's to see what they were doing. I happened to snap two of this whole event on my phone:

Illuminating the driver as EMT's and police begin to work on him:
0724090020.jpg

View from my car:
0724090058.jpg

soulrider

Newly Enlightened
Nice Job!!:twothumbs Glad you reacted quickly and the person will be ok.

thedeske

Enlightened
Good Job!
Interesting, the cops & FD let you stick around so close after they arrived. Usually they want people out of the way.

Then again, you were witness and first on scene with the call.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Nicely done, and great pics too; I think this is the first time a CPFer has been able to get photographs of their emergency situation, and probably the first in a trend thanks to the prevalence of cell phone cameras..

There's always that handful of guys driving in inclement weather who clearly believe "Oh my SUV has four wheel drive, I don't have to slow down..", and there's always a few of those guys who find out the hard way that that's not how it works. Just a reminder to everyone, regardless of what you drive, slick conditions mean slick conditions for everybody..

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
Nicely done, and great pics too; I think this is the first time a CPFer has been able to get photographs of their emergency situation, and probably the first in a trend thanks to the prevalence of cell phone cameras..

There's always that handful of guys driving in inclement weather who clearly believe "Oh my SUV has four wheel drive, I don't have to slow down..", and there's always a few of those guys who find out the hard way that that's not how it works. Just a reminder to everyone, regardless of what you drive, slick conditions mean slick conditions for everybody..

Yeah, even with AWD you can't trick physics...And 100 kg of electronics in a car are still not idiot-proof... ;)

However, good Job! :twothumbs

supasizefries

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I feel what I did is what anyone else would have done. I think the police and the FD didn't mind I was there because they were using the light I provided to the inside of the car. Or they just focused on the task at hand. I did go back to my car once they busted out their generator powered halogen lamps and when they proceeded to use the jaws of life. Incidently, the EMT's and cops refer to this stretch of road as "The Curve of Death". :shakehead They were telling me they see plenty of accidents on this stretch of road. On the lighter side of things, I have to mention that 2 police officers holstered their standard issue flashlights after seeing I had the lighting situation under control. :cool: This is one instance where CPF has really opened my eyes to the importance of carrying a quality light source. lovecpf

Mdinana

Enlightened
Hmmm... after action report:
A+ on being there first on scene.
A for lighting it up (I'd have used a different light, but my EDC is different; no biggie)

F (big, fat, honking F) on keeping your head on your shoulders! As an EMT for 13 years, I have to say, first thing on ANY call is scene safety. It's Dark. It's Raining. One car already spun out. It's CRITICAL that you don't get nailed by car number 2 being an idiot and slamming into you (especially now that you left your nice metal cocoon to stand in the middle of the freeway). It ain't the "Curve of Death" for nothing.

Don't think your little car is going to stop any other out-of-control car either. There's a reason the cops blocked off a few dozen car lengths, that ambulances and firetrucks isolate the scene from traffic (notice all the emergency vehicles parked in a row, one lane over?)

Don't be roadkill.

JBorneu

Enlightened
Very good job! Congrats on keeping him company, it really helps you keep calm when someone's talking to you.

However, I have been in two traffic accidents myself, and I can tell you one thing: I would have hit you had I seen you taking pictures of me (and had I not been hurt that bad). I know you meant no harm by doing it, but at that moment, if you are taking pictures, even if you are helping, it seems like you're just stainding there for the entertainment of it. A lot of people these days film or take pictures of traffic accidents and most emergency personnel and victims (is that the right word for somebody who is in a traffic accident?) REALLY hate it. It just seems like you're only standing there to get some kind of sick entertainment out of it while the victim is suffering and the emergency personnel are doing what they can to help the victim.

Now, I know, helping was the first thing on your mind, and I am absolutely sure that you did anything that could have been done at that moment before you started taking pictures. Once again, congratulations. However, taking the picture of the driver in the car is crossing the line IMO. The distant picture of the scene is all you needed to document your story.

DM51

Flashaholic
Hmmm... after action report
I think you are being rather harsh there. He did pull over, and he did put on his hazard lights. He then called 911 and ran to the wrecked car with his light, to see what he could do to help. What else would you have him do? Stay in his car and do nothing? I think he acted commendably, and did very well.

AusKipper

Enlightened
I think you are being rather harsh there. He did pull over, and he did put on his hazard lights. He then called 911 and ran to the wrecked car with his light, to see what he could do to help. What else would you have him do? Stay in his car and do nothing? I think he acted commendably, and did very well.

And I agree. IMO the chance of a second car crashing is less than the chance of the person in the first car requiring immediate assistance.

I hope you carry a first aid kit on your car :) . If you dont I hope you start carrying one now. Also a 2 day first aid course would be handy (I have my Level 2 over here in Aus, not sure what they call the equivalent in the US).

BTW, you forgot to tell us what the cops issue torches where (that they holstered..), Maglightes I assume?

*edit*
I also carry a High Vis Vest in my car, thus reducing the chance of the previously mentioned getting squashed by another car. This would also be handy if you broke down by the side of the road at night, and hand to change a wheel in the side facing the traffic or something.

I also carry a High vis jacket (very warm) should I have to stay the night in my car in cold weather, + a swiss army rescue tool + water + gloves + toolkit + oil +20lt petrol etc etc, but maybe all thats overkill :p

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great job there supasize. I thought that you acted in perfect fashion too. Hey, there's always some risk with every action and you decided things were safe enough to go help someone, who I'm certain was frightened out of their mind after that. Having you there probably made all the difference to that person.

:clap:

Thanks for being a great guy and for being a faithful flashlight EDC'er.

pec50

Enlightened
As a paramedic, I would like to thank you and the other Good Samaritans who have so often stabilized a patient, provided verbal support, and sometimes offered vital patient history info. Disregard some of the acerbic remarks, you did well. Key to any scene management is scene safety especially your own personal safety.

Latest posts