Do you really use 0.2 lumen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my D10 from one nice cpfer. I am very fond of the low low which is ~3 lumen. With 3 lumen I can still see, but not too good. Close up reading is perfect with 3 lumen... But I don't think I can use the .2 lumen provided by Quark or other flashlight with low low...

How many of you guys/gals use the .2 lumen? I don't think I can walk around the room/house with .2 lumen, can you?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the low low on my Quark AA. I could still use it even if it was much lower.

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
I havent seen .2 lumens, is it even visible lol. Can we get a beamshot or may I say a reflector shot since .2 lumen probley doesnt produce enough beam to take a beamshot. I cant wait to hear more on what this is used for. :whistle:

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
I just received my D10 from one nice cpfer. I am very fond of the low low which is ~3 lumen. With 3 lumen I can still see, but not too good. Close up reading is perfect with 3 lumen... But I don't think I can use the .2 lumen provided by Quark or other flashlight with low low...

How many of you guys/gals use the .2 lumen? I don't think I can walk around the room/house with .2 lumen, can you?

I primarely use the 0.08 setting on my Novatac, during nightly walks around the house, actually I would prefer an even lower, low.

- but I also live countryside, where it gets rather dark in the night, so you can barely see your own hand..

1anrm

Enlightened
I have both D10 and QuarkAA and yes I prefer .2 lumen for late night wake and going to the can. If I use my D10 it ruins my night vision. That's pretty much the only time I use .2 lumen of my Quark AA.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened

In another lifetime I used light levels that low to see things within 12 inches of my face without giving away my position. It was not military service, but I imagine military guys might use such levels (for similar purposes) as well.

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you actually were in the dark and let your eyes adjust, .2 lumens is more than enough.

Close yourself in a totally dark room with no light for 20 minutes. Then turn on your d10 and see how overly bright it can be, to the point of hurting.

jchoo

Enlightened
+1 to what everyone else said - I used the lowest white level on my Twisty to easily navigate my house last night in complete darkness.

bcwang

Enlightened
The 0.2 lumens is plenty of light for dark adjusted eyes. In fact, the next level up of 3.5 lumens seems too bright already for up close illumination. The fenix 11 lumen is blinding in comparison.

I'm glad for the 0.2 lumen light level, it also lets you look for stuff around the bed without disturbing your spouse. I have to plug in my phone next to my bed and can't find the cable and aim it without some light. Even using an original arc AAA was too bright ruining my night vision. The quark is perfect for this task.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
If you actually were in the dark and let your eyes adjust, .2 lumens is more than enough.

Close yourself in a totally dark room with no light for 20 minutes. Then turn on your d10 and see how overly bright it can be, to the point of hurting.

That reminds me of a caving trip I once took - the guides got everyone together deep inside and turned out all lights for a minute or two, and one was talking about vision adaptation.

Then one of them lit a match.

The entire chamber was clearly visible - I'm talking about a "room" about 50x50x50 feet, and with dark walls!

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to use a toilet paper to cover the head to reduce the brightness, then I went blind! jk

By covering it, I can only see bout 5 - 10 inches in front of me... how can u navigate a room?

I know covering it with a paper is not exactly .2 lumen, but should be close enough right? Maybe whatever is left from the throw is gone.

gsxrac

Enlightened

I was gonna post something but Marduke covered all the bases I was going for. I would say the low low on my Clicky is covers about 40% of my total flashlight use?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe I should sit down in my dark bathroom for awhile then try the D10 with a toilet paper and see how well my eyes adapt to it.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Did someone mention beamshot? :thumbsup:

dscn0421gz0.jpg

My lowest low on the left its a DIY P60 build I did using an XR-E-Q5, and a multi mode DC-DC board from DX. On the right for comparison is a stock MM solitaire, on a 50% depleted alkaline. With a fresh cell the MM solitaire is 3 Lumens, so I would venture a guess that my low-low DIY is around 1 Lumen, maybe a little less.

I find it plenty bright for navigating around the house with 100% night adapted vision.:)

My next brightest light is a Fenix E0, which at 6L is roughly half as bright as the newer E01. I find the E0 blinding in the middle of the night with night adapted vision.

My next brightest after that is an Inova X1-V2, which is around 12L (IIRC)... that is painful with fully adapted vision.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
That reminds me of a caving trip I once took - the guides got everyone together deep inside and turned out all lights for a minute or two, and one was talking about vision adaptation.

Then one of them lit a match.

The entire chamber was clearly visible - I'm talking about a "room" about 50x50x50 feet, and with dark walls!

Also commonly called the birthday candle trick in boyscouts.

Seems every cave trip I go on, we still turn out the lights at a rest for a bit. It's amazing how much the glow in the dark hands of a wristwatch can light up an area.

vali

Enlightened
Yeah, its more than enough for a lot of tasks. I thought the 0.2 lumen would be even dimmer than it is. Today I got my warm quark and I think its great. I can walk in a wood's dark path with this kind of light.

Of course it has to be a really dark one. If you are used to the "dark" of a city then it will probably be too dim due light pollution, but in the countryside it is plenty of light.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the quark 0.2 lumen is a little brighter than I would expect from 0.2 lumens, but it is much lower than I would expect from a light in its class. It is nice.

I use it.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the 0.08 lumens on my Ra lights to be more than enough with dark adapted eyes. Used mine the other night during a movie to read something and not bother the people next to me.

lolzertank

Enlightened
I don't know about 0.2 lumen, but my joule thief (about 1 lumen based on eyeball comparison with E01) is way too bright for fully dark adapted eyes.

Coop57

Enlightened
Yes I use the moonlight .02 on my AA Quark. Going to the bathroom, finding my way in a dark theater, lighting up an menu. I use the next higher setting "low" to read in bed at night. The .02 setting is very functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.