Do you really use 0.2 lumen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I thought selfbuilts review showed ~.55 lumen. My D10 and My Quark look pretty close on low...

On low, sure. But the Quark Moonlight mode is much dimmer.

Selfbuilt does not estimate lumens. His numbers are just comparative lightbox readings.

loanshark

Enlightened
Sorry I meant to say moonlight mode. My two samples are very close to my eyes. I have a Q5 D10 from the pre-order.

loanshark

Enlightened
The low on the Quark (second level) blows the D10 out of the water. It looks ~5 times brighter.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The low on the Quark (second level) blows the D10 out of the water. It looks ~5 times brighter.

One of your lights is not functioning correctly then. The Quark should be a glow on moon mode, the D10 should be 1/3-1/2 of about the E01 brightness.

loanshark

Enlightened
One of your lights is not functioning correctly then. The Quark should be a glow on moon mode, the D10 should be 1/3-1/2 of about the E01 brightness.

Sounds like my D10 goes lower than most. Cool! If it keeps workin' I'll keep using it.

Could the emiter be dimming in only a year? It really doesn't seem dimmer... :tired: bed time:tired:
:wave:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Blinded by 1 lumen? Man you guys are really afraid of a little light. Which I find weird seeing as we're all flashaholics. Yes, 1 lumen seems bright when you just wake up, but at least my eyes adjust pretty quickly. It's not an issue. Given no flashlight, I'll turn on the bathroom light. Yes it's bright and hurts for a second, but I'm tough enough to deal with it I guess. Seriously, how important is it to maintain your cave darkness vision when you're going back to bed in a minute anyway? Do you guys find it unreasonably bright to sleep in a tent under the moonlight? I suppose I understand why a really low low would be useful for the military, but personally, I find the idea of buying a flashlight based on the fact that it has the ability to put out nearly no light to be rather, um, amusing.
Not sure that you're really understanding the posts made supporting use of a real low-low. If you live in the city it's understandable, but basically we all buy lights for the same reason; to produce enough light to see according to the situation.

It's not that we buy lights to put out nearly no light, but rather to be able to adjust to our needs. I'm very used to walking by the light of the moon or aurora and sometimes that's the perfect amount of light, which I can now aproximate from my multi-level lights.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure that you're really understanding the posts made supporting use of a real low-low. If you live in the city it's understandable, but basically we all buy lights for the same reason; to produce enough light to see according to the situation.

It's not that we buy lights to put out nearly no light, but rather to be able to adjust to our needs. I'm very used to walking by the light of the moon or aurora and sometimes that's the perfect amount of light, which I can now aproximate from my multi-level lights.

This thread is highly interesting and the posting above says it all...

In the Ralight Manual, you're told that the output is so variable that you can adjust it to your actual needs. Not enough light means not the right security, too much light means being blinded and unnecessary power consumption.

In 99% of the threads we speak about brightness, throw, output, runtime, the more, the better. That's normal, if you speak about cars, it's high speed, acceleration, consumption. Real life however is 99% not on the edge. Perhaps there are some people who only use their flashlights on maximum and wear sunglasses if necessary, but surely most of us know to adjust the output to our needs and so the highest output is probably the less used (and mostly for testing purposes).

Of course, the other edge, the low Low, is also a mode that's hardly used and there are actually enough explanations in this thread why the lowest Low possible is nevertheless very usefull sometimes. I'm also the one who uses by now the LF3XT (my Clickys are not programmed on Low as they are for a different use) on Low each night to go to the bathroom and as soon as my Quarks arrive, one of them will replace the LF3XT which is still to bright for me at night.

7777s knew what he did when he integrated the moon mode. For me, it was ONE reason to buy 3 Quarks, but there were others of course, as it wasn't the only thing he knew to do when he designed them! :thumbsup:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
With night adapted vision I find the lowest-low setting on my Jet-III M perfect in zero ambient light conditions it's supposedly around 2 lumens, I've never experience anything lower so I guess I'll have to wait for a completed battery vampire module/project :thumbsup:

HighLumens

Enlightened
I use my LF2XT lowest low (.3lumens??) very often. In ceiling bouncing it's enough to see around a room.

Even the lowest low is blinding if I light up something close to my face (less than 50cm away) with dark adapted eyes.

oldpal

Enlightened
You bet I do. I have a Quark AA and have it on my nightstand. The moon-mode is more than enough light to get around the house at night. My Ra 120E, which I also use, is programmed for an even lower low level.

I am more concerned with how low my lights go than with how high they go.

Hugh

Egsise

Banned
I used to use LD10 low+red lens tailstanding as a night light.
Now I use QAAW moon mode tailstanding and it's much better than LD10.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
With my D10 Q5 being 3 lumens, I was expecting much lower output for the Quark AA's 0.2 lumen rating.

That wasn't the case for me. I find that the D10 and QAA are very close on their respective low settings. I was a little disappointed because I was hoping for a lower output than the D10. I attributed (either correctly or incorrectly) the similiarity in output to be the difference between the "estimated" LED output lumens of the D10 vs. the OTF lumens of the QAA. Or I could have a "hot" D10.

In reality, it looks like I am looking for around 0.02 OTF lumens for a low-end. Maybe my next light - or I will just use the tritium output from my watch as I have done in the past :)

Maybe someone should design a light that has slots for tritium in the reflector for that really low output and a runtime of 12.7 years continuous run. That would blow a few runtime specs out of the water - I would like to see someone's review/confirmation of that spec. :laughing: Of course one would have to be ready to accept the sickly green/yellow/blue/red trit colors currently available as a source of light....

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want bright light for two reasons.

1. I don't want to wake up my wife if I can avoid it. Therefore, turning the bathroom light on is out or using a flashlight that lights up the whole room (enough to be noticeable from behind closed eyelids).

2. I like to be able to look up from what I'm reading and still be able to see something without aiming the flashlight at it (and thus, increasing the risk of waking up the wife). If the flashlight is too bright, then when I look away from its illumination, I can't see anything. If it's sufficiently dim, then my eyes are still dark adjusted when I look away and I can see things clearly using just the ambient light.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe how useful the Quark moonmode is when doing a ceiling bounce. It lights up my bedroom really well with dark adapted eyes and also doesn't ruin my night vision. Last night I used it this way and when I turned it off I could still see the other very dim light sources that I only see with night vision.:twothumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.