Sure Fire A2 Aviator in the Real World

NE450No2

Enlightened
A coule of nights ago I was in the woods.

I was helping a landowner with a wild pig problem.
It was my forst time on his place so I pocked a spot where there was some pig sign.

It was deep in heavy pine trees. I sat there till about an hour after it was real dark. I was hoping I would hear them walking up to their "rooting" place.
None showed.

So I used the A2 on low to read my compass and head to another spot I had picked out on the edge of his lake.
I sat right on the water hoping I would hear them when they came to drink on the other side, which was from 30 to 300 yards as the lake opened up.

After a few hours nothing showed up.

SO NOW I have to walk out of the woods, heavily treed, and it is DARK.

The A2 on low gave enough light to navigate in the trees, and when I came to an intersection of game or foot trails I used the A2 on High to figure out which way to go.

The fact that the A2 has a low and a high, and that the high is regulated and stays at full brightness for most all of the battery life, makes it my favorite general purpose EDC light.

I have been using this light around my place for a month on the same set of batteries,. and even tonight I can still spot my animals and my ducks out on the pond.

If I could have only one handheld light, the A2 would be it.

Vesper

Enlightened
Nice story - I can almost picture the place. The A2 is a nice light. A friend has one that gets a ton of use (he's a park ranger). I use my E2L and now LX2 a bunch. Wouldn't want anything but a dual output light for an EDC.

What would you have done if you'd seen pigs? Acquire some quick bacon? Are they even good eating? I've seen some stories about what a problem they're becoming. Big and aggressive garbage disposals and real trouble to land owners...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
there should be more of these lights,
* no dimming
* ramp-up protection (bulb life greatly expanded)

NE450No2

Enlightened
Vesper

I had a Drilling with a NVD type scope that has its own IR source so you can see, and shoot, in total darkness.

Wild pigs are GREAT eating.

I am thinking about getting a SF LED light, either dual output, or multiple output for use when I do not need the color rendention if the incandescent.

The longer runtime would be good for general use around camp and on known trails.

I just cannot make up my mind on which one. Thinking about either the E2L or the U2, or wait until one of the U series [AorB] lights comes out.

I just do not think I need the colored LED's of the Kroma.

But, at least, dual outut is a must.

Last edited:

mwaldron

Enlightened
A2 is still my favorite 2-cell light. Having multiple levels with different beam profiles is just too darn useful for me to give up. It's too big for me to EDC but I have them all around when they're needed.

I've recently got bitten by the Warm LED craze (they really are pretty nice) and have been playing with a Malkoff M60W in a 6PDL and while it's a great light, I still would rather have my A2 for the low beam 90% of the time.

Long live the A2! (And get yourself a Strion kit!)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the story! Out of curiosity, which LED color on your A2 do you have? Of all my lights, my A2 is still my favorite (followed by the M6)! :rock:

-Robert

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he is actually referring to the angry-blue 5mm LEDs in the A2. It took me a couple reads to catch it. I too would welcome warm 5mm LEDs.

-Robert
Ok then, but I still prefer the Green or Y/G LEDs on my stock A2s. It would be pretty cool some warm or high CRI LEDs, though.

Superdave

Enlightened
I spent the weekend at a camp ground in bowling green, KY a few weeks ago. my A2 modded with Cree cool whites got used the most out of everything i brought. The ability to clip onto my hat was a huge plus.

and to think, i had it for sale in the marketplace a week before I went.. glad it didn't sell. :)

NE450No2

Enlightened
My first A2 was with yellow/green LED,s. It was a gift from Sure Fire when I did a tour there several years ago.

I was packing for a trip to Africa, and some how I LOST my A2. I could not find it, I had had it less than an hour ago!!!:(:confused:

I was set to leave in just a few days, so I went to a local store and bought another A2, as I really liked it. They only had the white LED model.

As I was finishing my packing I found that my original A2 has somehow rolled between the mattress and the foot of the bed.:oops:

So now I had two of them.:grin2:

The yellow green LEDs are not as bright as the white. I prefer them for reading a Map, either in a vehicle or in the field, but I prefer the white led's for general use.

NE450No2

Enlightened
OF, You are correct the controled incandescent is a very good light.

MW By Strion kit if you mean a more powerful incandescent bulb, as it would have less run time, it would not be good for me as a lot of my uses are for fairly long times.

Also If I need more light I get out the M6.:thumbsup:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is my dedicated camping light. I have five of them, and they are all pretty pimped out. I am waiting for the day when Li-ions have 10x the capacity. This will be an ultimate light when I can have the incan run for 8 hours on one set of batteries.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wait for the day where I will get to use mine in a 'real world' situation... not just white wall hunting :(