ThruNite Catapult SST-50 Thrower Review: Pics, Comparisons, Beamshots, and more

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note: This review is of a preproduction unit.. Final units have some changes to the body tube -- there is knurling on both tubes, and,
as MattK says:
Final production units are 3 levels + strobe and ~7% brighter.

Please note
: because of a new FTC regulation which came to my attention from this post, I shall place emphasis that ThruNite(the manufacturer) provided this light for review. I always state where the light comes from in all my reviews, but to prevent any potential trouble, I will make it more prominent. They have not sent any other compensation other than allowing me to keep the test sample for future comparisons.
Conflict of interest? I try to provide reviews that are as accurate as possible, but, the review portion will obviously have to be my own personal opinions and observations. Everyone's opinions are different. Because of this, I will stand by the cliche, "A picture is worth a thousand words," I try to provide good pictures to show most aspects of the light, but I occasionally slip and either provide a slightly blurry picture, or forget to include something. I will try to retake(or take) any picture upon request. I will, if noticed, state all flaws I find with the light. Sometimes, though, things are overlooked. I apologize in advance if anything like that happens, do not hesitate to point out my errors and I will try to fix them as soon as possible.

Now, back to my traditional style of reviewing:

Hi Everyone,

Up for review is ThruNite's latest offering, the ThruNite Catapult. This light is meant to do what other lights using the Cree MC-E and SSC P7 can not.

Here are some specs from ThruNite:

• Luminus SST-50 of the highest flux bin
  • 900 Lumens on high
  • 2 Mode Groups: standard and tactical (standard: High + user set brightness) (tactical: High + strobe), Forward clicky
  • Super-low = 20mA; High = 2.8A
  • Reverse polarity protection
  • Type III hard anodized 7075AL for durability and wear resistance
  • Length: 185mm; Head diameter: 58mm; Body diameter: 31mm; Weight: 390g. (Extended tube excluded)
  • 2*CR123A / 2*RCR123A / 2 x 16340 / 1x 18650 / 1 x 17670. 2*18650 2*17670
  • Anti-shatter ultra clear lens with double-sided multilayer AR coating
  • Overdischarge protection

A bit of background:
Thrunite is still a relatively new brand. Their first light was a small affordable titanium light that ran off of button cells. You can see their post here. They then introduced the Catapult in this thread here. Further soon after, the lights availability was announced in the thread here.

This light was provided by ThruNite themselves. This light will be on available in stores soon, I believe it will be available on BatteryJunction.com.
it is now also available at flashlightconnection: http://flashlightconnection.com/ThruNite-Flashlights/ThruNite-Catapult-p229.html

Onwards!

IMG_9863_processed.JPG

A decent paper box, held closed by a magnetic flap.

IMG_9866_processed.JPG

IMG_9878_processed.JPG

Contents include: Light, Extension tube, Lanyard, Warranty card, Manual(not pictured. oops), and 2 extra orings.

IMG_9883_processed.JPG

1x18650 format (note: AW 2600mAh cells work fine in this light as there are springs at the end. AW cells are considerd top notch in the flashlight community, so I recommend those)

IMG_9884_processed.JPG

2x18650 format NOTE: I assembled the tube wrong. The knurled side should be touching the head, not the smooth side.

IMG_9886_processed.JPG

You can see the slight tinge of purple from the coating
NOTE: I assembled the tube wrong. The knurled side should be touching the head, not the smooth side.

IMG_9892_processed.JPG

and with a light shining on it at the right angle.

IMG_9893_processed.JPG

IMG_9894_processed.JPG

IMG_9895_processed.JPG

IMG_9897_processed.JPG

IMG_9898_processed.JPG

IMG_9899_processed.JPG

Head of the light disassembled: The Bezel ring is removeable.. I tihnk it would be very beneficial if ThruNite could manufacture a stainless steel bezel right to help protect the light more.

IMG_9901_processed.JPG

IMG_9903_processed.JPG

The core of the light: the LED.

Comparisons:
IMG_9928_processed.JPG

IMG_9930_processed.JPG

The Catapult is the light with the thickest walls in this lineup. The reflector is also the deepest.

White Wall Shots:
I suggest the user stay with the Smooth reflector as it still throws with an almost perfect beam. the OP reflector makes the beam better, but the difference isn't worth the drop in output.

IMG_9914_processed.JPG

IMG_9915_processed.JPG

IMG_9909_processed.JPG

IMG_9910_processed.JPG

Outdoor Beamshots:
ThruNite Catapult 2x18650
shots are done with the SMO reflector installed.
IMG_9917_processed.JPG
IMG_9918_processed.JPG

IMG_9919_processed.JPG
IMG_9920_processed.JPG

IMG_9921_processed.JPG
IMG_9923_processed.JPG

Compare these with other ones in this thread

High output comparison:
ThruNite Catapult, Tiablo ACE-G
IMG_9917_processed.JPG
_MG_7288-400.jpg

SolarforceL950m, MG RX-1
_MG_7295-400.jpg
_MG_7302-400.jpg

Eagletac M2XC4 CW, Epsilon ED-P72
_MG_7466-400.jpg
IMG_8299_processed.jpg

Barbolight T-15, Solarforce Masterpiece
IMG_8705_processed.jpg
IMG_9642_processed-400.jpg

Impressions
What struck me the moment I picked up this light was how sturdy it felt. This light feels like it can take a beating, perhaps akin to the Fenix Tk11 which is well known for its robustness? here is a picture of how thick the battery tube is:
IMG_9926_processed.JPG

This is Thrunite's second attempt at getting their brand into the flashlight industry's mainstream, and I'll have to say,in my opinion, they did quite a bit better the second time around. ( I thought the ThruNite TiKey wasn't as good as it could have been ). Thrunite has put allot more attention to the small details this time around, and their efforts have been rewarding to the consumer.

The core of this flashlight is one of the newest cutting edge "Luminus SST-50" LEDs. This is a LED with the potential of outputting 1250 lumens, but Thrunite has kept the output @ a 900 (emitter?) lumens for a longer and cooler running light. The reason this is different from, say, a Cree MC-E which can output roughly the same amount of light, is that it uses a solid chip compared to the 4 chips of the MC-E. How is this different? Well, there is spacing between the MC-E's 4 chips, and this would result in what we call a "donut hole" in the beam if a deep reflector (needed for a thrower) was used. The SST-50 has no problem being a thrower as it does not have the die gap problem. Most, if not all of the throwers currently on the market are using the Cree XR-E or XP-E because it is a single die LED and relatively easy to focus, but, the maximum output is roughly 300 lumens. The SST-50 changes all of that. I hope to see many other manufacturers implementing this new LED. ThruNite is the first company to use this LED in a mass produced, affordable light. ( the previous manufacturer to use a SST-50 would be Olight in their limited release titanium light)

Onto the light itself. again. At first glance, the light catches your eye with the multicoated window, not unlike what Jetbeams lights have. This deep hue of purple at just the right angle is interesting, personally, I think it looks cool. Technically, this is supposed to help with light transmission. A win win, it seems? As for grip on the light, I think that without the battery tube, the light would be a bit slippery to grasp, and you would be too likely to drop the light. The Threads on the battery tubes are anodized, which allows for lockout to prevent accidental activation.

Dimming -- I cannot detect any traces of PWM -- I belive this light to be current based regulation. :thumbsup:
the UI, to me, is simple to use. Although, instead of the smooth ramping as I am used to when setting the low mode, the light jumps in brightness until you decide it is at the correct level. The lowest low is a very nice low one. kudos to ThruNite!

There actually is a slight "clover"(as Mev observed) in the beam.. I estimate it to be 1/15 of the hotspot by area.
The ThruNite Catapult is the first high output light to be a thrower, and have a very good beam. This light sets the foundation for throwers to come.

In my honest opinion, This is a great light. Please, do not hesitate to comment if you think otherwise, questions are encouraged as I might have missed some points.
Thank you for reading.

Accidental drop test: While taking the outdoor beamshots, the light happened to roll off the tripod, plummeting 3.5 feet to the concrete tiles below with a sickening thud. Result: The light changed modes, a few light scratches. Passed with flying colors.

as of 10/10/09, the Thrunite Catapult retails for 149$

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ThruNite Catapult SST-50 Thrower Review: Pics, Comparisons, Beamahots, and more

A: Range to the fence is ~80-85'

Q: how is the throw of this light?
A: The light outthrows all MC-E/P7 Lights I have except for the Eagletac M2XC4 CW
Here are a few of my readings @ 1m , PEAK(for my meter) is in RED.

Eagletac M2XC4: 25,110 lux 35,610 lux
ThruNite Catapult: 24,860 lux 34,450 lux
Solarforce Masterpiece: 15,790 lux 22,050 lux
Epsilon ED-P72: 15,560 lux 21,250 lux
Solarforce l950m: 12,590 lux 17,130 lux
Tiablo ACE-G: 11,630 lux 16,640 lux

Q: Where are these lights made?
A: They are manufactured and designed in Hong Kong

Q: How significant is the output between 1x18650 and 2x18650 set-ups?
The 1x18650 is driven at 2.2A, and 2x18650 at 2.8A IIRC.
IMG_9948_processed.JPG
IMG_9949_processed.JPG

Q:How does the UI work?
A: To change civilian/tac mode:
switch off the light when it is in high mode, then wait three seconds. tap the switch 4 times (on the last tap, click the light on)

now, while you're in civilian mode, swap to low mode by tapping the switch again, (like most multimoded lights) and shut of the light. after 3 seconds, tap the switch 4 times, (on the last tap, click the light on): it will go into a ramping mode. (not really ramping.. more like jumping). choose the brightness by shutting off the light, and turning it back on quickly.

Q: How is the low?
A:
IMG_9939_processed.JPG
IMG_9940_processed.JPG

IMG_9943_processed.JPG

IMG_9941_processed.JPG

Q: Can I use CR123A in this light beyond 10-15 minutes? Many MC-E lights have such a warning.
A: RCR123: the light drew 2.4A from the RCR123s on high. I don't think this is good for the batteries, as this is more than 2C
CR123 (primary): this should be fine, I believe. high current draws from batteries tend to heat them up though, I think. Better to err on the side of caution.

Q: How hot does it get on high?
A: The light gets nice and warm on high -- heatsinking seems decent. The light does not get overly hot in use.

Q: Can you post some in-hand shots to give us a better idea on the side of this thing?
A:
IMG_9961_processed.JPG

IMG_9960_processed.JPG

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: ThruNite Catapult SST-50 Thrower Review: Pics, Comparisons, Beamahots, and more

:party:

Great job on the review!!!!!!!!! The light still sounds like a winner to me.

Last edited:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
is this light a good thrower ? how far does it throw?

ruf9ii

Newly Enlightened
nice review.
coupla questions; how long is your 'range'?

also, how does this light perform, in terms of throw, compared to the other lights pictured in the visual comparison? its definately an interesting light...

cheers

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
is this light a good thrower ? how far does it throw?

as for the range, it is roughly 80-85 feet from the fence, I believe.

RE:EDIT: I did a more formal measurement.. the Eagletac beats the ThruNite by a bit, but not much.

scroll down for the update.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Next you need to do a throw contest between all the ones pictured at oh say 150 feet!

It's the only thing left to do. :thumbsup:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next you need to do a throw contest between all the ones pictured at oh say 150 feet!
It's the only thing left to do. :thumbsup:

150 feet.. hmm.. that might be tough! I'll see if I can figure a place out! (in a few days)
only thing left to do? what about runtime? :p

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
150 feet.. hmm.. that might be tough! I'll see if I can figure a place out! (in a few days)
only thing left to do? what about runtime? :p
Oh I hate doing those!
I wouldn't ask you to tackle that chore but if you feel like doing it I'd enjoy the read. :D

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I hate doing those!
I wouldn't ask you to tackle that chore but if you feel like doing it I'd enjoy the read. :D

I'll try to get it done tomorrow.
I originally purchased a usb datalogging luxmeter to do those without needing to monitor anything.. but the memory module is defective, and I need to RMA it.BUT! before I return it, I can use the computer to log every second, so it should be just fine for now!! tomorrow, AW2600 mAh runtimes!

thank all of you for your comments and support!

JamisonM

Enlightened
This light is meant to do what other lights using the Cree MC-E and SSC P7 could not.
I think that statement needs to be changed to can not instead. The MCE and P7 lights are nice, but this is something else IMHO. I can only wonder what will happen to them once the higher binned SST-50s become more common? Is what we see here their replacement?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that statement needs to be changed to can not instead. The MCE and P7 lights are nice, but this is something else IMHO. I can only wonder what will happen to them once the higher binned SST-50s become more common? Is what we see here their replacement?
good point.I am not as well educated as the pros and cons of each LED, so I am unable to answer with a good excuse.
edited :)

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
How significant is the output between 1x18650 and 2x18650 set-ups? :eek:oo:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you get picture shot of at longer distance?

400 ft?

ruf9ii

Newly Enlightened
in the photo comparison you posted with the 'competition', the m2x looks brighter than the thrunite, with a brighter hot spot, but you say (i think) that the SST is brighter?

is this just because the colour of the m2x beam is higher?