Torture test of Cree XR-E at Fish Tank for 2 Years

eprom

Newly Enlightened
Hi Friends,

Time was October 2007. I have placed an Cree XR-E P4 Led to my fish tank. I drive it with 3xAMC7135 which means 1 Ampere. It served for 17500 hours (2 years 24 hours a day). Now it's luminance decrease to ~20% so I give a chance to a new R2 Led.

Most of the lost luminance caused from dirty dome. I think it still hold it's 40~50% lumen power. When we think about 1A drive level and high moisture level, it is very satisfying.

Here is the last photos.

Toture.001.jpg

Toture.002.jpg

Toture.003.jpg

Toture.004.jpg

When i was cleaning the dome it came off. Yes, under the hood.

Toture.005.jpg

It's still working.

Enjoy,
EpRoM

Last edited:

bosscrab

Newly Enlightened
Was this the only LED on the tank? And what kind of tank and how was the performance? I'd like a 400W setup on my saltwater tank.

eprom

Newly Enlightened
Yes this was the only white LED on tank. My fish tank is a small hobby tank. It has 70cm hight and 30cmx40cm bottom.

Was this the only LED on the tank? And what kind of tank and how was the performance? I'd like a 400W setup on my saltwater tank.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking: Why are we so concerned about keeping them dry then? I understand we want low relative humidity before mounting / soldering them, but otherwise your little demo here says that it's OK for emiter to be exposed (even submerged). Interesting. I mean, I'm not buying an emiter 'for ever' they're just harder to install but longer lasting than light-bulbs.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking: Why are we so concerned about keeping them dry then? I understand we want low relative humidity before mounting / soldering them, but otherwise your little demo here says that it's OK for emiter to be exposed (even submerged). Interesting. I mean, I'm not buying an emiter 'for ever' they're just harder to install but longer lasting than light-bulbs.
I've tried in the past to get people to realize they wouldn't die from moisture. For some reason people have gotten it into their heads that if the dome pops off the phosphor will degrade and the LED will fail. Never mind that the moisture can get right past the gap in between the dome and ring.

Eprom I wonder how long they would last if you coated them in a clear paint first. Clear finger nail polish may suffice.

Last edited:

eprom

Newly Enlightened
I will try your suggestion saabluster. I will coat the gaps between Dome-Ring and Ring-Base.

Thanks to all,
EpRoM

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
eprom & saabluster: Thank-you. This has been an incredibly instructive thead. This has openned up a lot of new ideas for my own creations.

aljsk8

Enlightened
was this under the surface, just touching or just close too?

thanks for posting very interesting

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Eprom,

Is this in a FRESHWATER or SALTWATER TANK?

How close to the water were the LED's approx?

Was there a air bubbler close to it for the water misting?

Thanks for the data sample on the LED torture test.