SureFire U2A (SSC P4 version) disassembled

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool pics of the driver, can't say I've ever seen that before.

what gives the selection ring tactile feel?

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you got her apart, Justin! Great Mod. :twothumbs

@csshih, U2 rotates smoothly until it hits a machined stop. The Kroma has clicks via a fragile plastic ring.

ideefixe

Newly Enlightened
Great photos! Just a quick question: is the removal of the selector ring necessary for an emitter swap? It looks like the bezel portion of the head can be twisted off and the emitter can be accessed easily. Looks like a great host for a K2 TFFC upgrade. :sssh:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great photos! Just a quick question: is the removal of the selector ring necessary for an emitter swap? It looks like the bezel portion of the head can be twisted off and the emitter can be accessed easily. Looks like a great host for a K2 TFFC upgrade. :sssh:

Post deleted.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minor update:

I recently tested this XP-G R4 mod'ed U2A with 2xAW16340 fresh off a Pila charger. No apparent problems so far in very brief usage. So the U2A driver may be able to run at 8.4V/7.4V.

Greg G

Enlightened
I've always been impressed with Surefires electronics. They put a lot of effort into them.

I think your mod is a good one. It's something I would do if a U2 came my way at a decent price.

You have a lot of guts risking blowing the driver with the RCR's.

Thanks for the thread.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always been impressed with Surefires electronics. They put a lot of effort into them.

I think your mod is a good one. It's something I would do if a U2 came my way at a decent price.

You have a lot of guts risking blowing the driver with the RCR's.

Thanks for the thread.

ptolemy on CPF MP had a couple of recent U2A sales threads at $125 IIRC. Unfortunately, I think he's sold out. But who knows. Maybe he'll get more. Try PMing him.

I give full credit to 325addict on leading the way with using 16340s. He was the first person I saw on CPF to post that he used 2x16340 in a U2A.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Nice build, and thanks much for the photos on the magnetic selector circuitry/board - I always wondered how it looked on the inside :naughty:

Greg G

Enlightened
ptolemy on CPF MP had a couple of recent U2A sales threads at $125 IIRC. Unfortunately, I think he's sold out. But who knows. Maybe he'll get more. Try PMing him.

I give full credit to 325addict on leading the way with using 16340s. He was the first person I saw on CPF to post that he used 2x16340 in a U2A.

I wonder how the U2A driver would work with 1 x 18650 and a low Vf emitter?

I'm not going to buy one if I can only use 123 primaries.

Does the battery tube appear to have enough material to bore to 18mm?

Thanks.

Greg G

Enlightened
Thanks for the information. I have accumulated quite a few XP-G's for future builds. I'll go through them and see if I have one with a very low Vf and set it aside.