• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti XP-G -updated outdoor beamshots 3-28 - post 24

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't know for sure where to post this - if the mods want to move it, please do so!

There's been a lot of chat about the beloved Ti PD (or technically, the McLuxIII Ti PD) - or for that matter, the McLuxIII - being reborn with the Cree XP-G R5 emitter. I won't go into all the different aspects of that situation - but I did decide to trust my beloved Ti PD-S to datiLED to mod mine over to an XP-G. At the time, all Derek had was the R4 version - I had ordered some R5s from LCK-LED.com, but they were out of stock and I didn't know when they'd arrive. As 'lux' would have it (sorry, too punny:eek:) they came in about 2 weeks - in time for one to be shipped to Derek for the mod: Cree XP-G Emitter R5 Bin, 345LM @ 1A

Luck smiled on me and the emitters were a nice, neutral - almost warm, tint, and datiLED did an OUTSTANDING job of positioning the emitter to make the best use of Don's hardware. We are certainly fortunate to have Don, Scott, Derek and SO many other great modders that I haven't mentioned to help us with our obsession, er, hobby. ;)

datiLED was patient and meticulous, ensuring that he had positioned the emitter at the optimum to provide the best beam profile. He did an outstanding job and I recommend his work highly! :twothumbs:twothumbs

So enough jabbering from me. Please consider the photos below. As a qualifier, the beamshots were taken in my basement against a wall painted "bleaker beige" - an off white color. It will obviously have some effect on the coloring of the beam, but the relative color will hopefully still be useful to you. I can tell you this - the photos do not do justice to any of the lights!! Hopefully I can capture some outdoor beamshots tonight against natural backgrounds. If so, I'll update this post. Also, I've updated my integrated sphere readings chart over HERE
, but for convenience, the readings of the PD with the new emitter were 5 lumen on low and 132 on high. I was shocked - it seemed much brighter - and it throws forever, but it's been said before that "lumen readings aren't everything!"

First, in case you haven't seen it in another post, here's the updated business end of the light:

IMG_3549.JPG

Compared to a Haiku XP-G
IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3551.JPG

Mounted on a "C Pak"
IMG_3571.JPG

This next series of photos are 'signature' photos for me - various shots taken with my Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe" as the backdrop. If you prefer seeing the photos cycle automatically, there's a YOUTUBE video of these photos over HERE
IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

IMG_3564.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

IMG_3566.JPG

This is a recent acquisition from scout24 - a T1A that DeFabricata worked magic with installing a High CRI emitter:
IMG_3567.JPG

Below are the same photos, 'collaged' so you can see the PD XPG compared side to side with all the other lights:

PDXPG.jpg

PDXPG1.jpg

Although it isn't as obvious here as it is to the naked eye, the Haiku XP-G has a very beautiful creamy tint - the PD XPG is a bit warmer...

PDXPG2.jpg

PDXPG3.jpg

PDXPG4.jpg

PDXPG5.jpg

PDXPG13.jpg

Now a new set up - a bit slower shutter, and the lights against that beige wall...as before, a YOUTUBE video of these shots HERE

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3574.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3579.JPG

IMG_3580.JPG

And, as before, the collage shots showing side by side comparisons:

PDXPG6.jpg

PDXPG7.jpg

PDXPG8.jpg

PDXPG9.jpg

PDXPG10.jpg

PDXPG11.jpg

PDXPG12.jpg

So there you go. I couldn't be more pleased. The temptation to order more of these emitters is strong, but who knows whether they'd have the same tint! At any rate, this one is bringing me pleasure and I sent the other to datiLED to experiment with. So, for all of you out there wishing for a McLuxIII Ti PD XPG, I say, "Go for it!" It is a fantastic light - in this case the collaboration of one of Don's classics and the skills of a great 'modder!'

:twothumbs:twothumbs:D:D:D:twothumbs:twothumbs

Last edited:

SFfanman

Enlightened
Re: McGizmo Ti PD - XPG!!

COME INTO THE LLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGTT! :rock:

Super review and personal thanks for throwing in the L1. This could be called a superreview as the comparison shots effectively show the beam qualities of many other lights as well. The Ti PD XP-G came out real nice, especially with the lumen ratings. It looks like a E1B on steriods! Anybody in for a LED group buy? Are you jotting down names yet? * One thing that totally bedazzled me is the sheer raw force and power of the Haiku xp-g. I know this isn't the thread to tout such a light but, the power in the flood and overall for a single cell light is nothing short of amazing. The only thing I would add to the review is the inclusion of low setting on Ti PD xp-g, Looking forward to the outdoor beamshots when they arrive. :whistle:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

I read where you said it throws forever. The throw is increased over the Seoul? If so then by how much?

Nice mod!! :thumbsup:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I read where you said it throws forever. The throw is increased over the Seoul? If so then by how much?

Nice mod!! :thumbsup:
Sad that I don't have the 'old' version to compare to, but if memory serves we're talking about an extra 50 feet or so. It is a very defined spot with a wonderful spill that I've enjoyed using for walking my dogs in the dark. It definitely throws farther than my Haiku XP-G, but obviously doesn't light as large an area at distance.

Sweeeeet!!! We need outdoor beamshots!!!:poke:
Stay tuned - if all goes well, I'm set up to take some tonight! I'll get them posted as soon as I can - really, really busy this week, but we have to have our priorities, yes? ;)

:wave:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great photo comparison. Gotta love the Strat! Nice idea. Personally I love the T1A the best, my most used light, great evenly spread beam.

fyrstormer

Banned

I was wondering when that thing was going to show up in the mail. Looks pretty nice; it's amazing how small the XP-G is compared to the SSC P4 that used to be in there.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Outdoor beamshots have been requested - since the first post is so photo heavy, I decided to post them in a new 'space.'

Here is a corner of my (maintenance needed) patio. The camera is positioned on a tripod 25 feet from the corner. In the corner is a LARGE flower pot and an ornate 'bucket'...when you look at the photos shot in the dark you'll see a piece of 22x28 inch white poster board in the background as a reference.

The 'control' shot....cloudy day in northern Virginia...seems lately that there are often clouds hanging over DC..:sigh:
IMG_3604.JPG

Now the beamshots - all at 1/20th shutter, f/4.0, ISO1600 - YouTube video version of these photos HERE...photos are totally un-retouched. If anyone wonders why the Creemator was not included, it just annihilates everything..:faint:
IMG_3619.JPG

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_3623.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

IMG_3625.JPG

IMG_3626.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

I really like the Surefire T1A - the DeFab mod makes it even better!
IMG_3631.JPG

Now, for easier comparison, here are some side by side shots of the PD - XPG versus the L1, E2DL and Haiku XPG. That Haiku is truly amazing.

outdoor%20beam%20shots%20march%2021.jpg

outdoor%20beam%20shots%20march%20211.jpg

outdoor%20beam%20shots%20march%20212.jpg

Beyond the fence line at approximately 45 feet is this tree - took a couple of shots with the more powerful lights....for your consideration:

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

The "Money Shot"...

outdoor%20beam%20shots%20march%20213.jpg

Clearly in the photos, the Haiku has the most amazing 'punchy' flood - the Surefires are both very defined, and the PD XPG has a beautiful mix of both...

lovecpf

Last edited:

SFfanman

Enlightened

:sssh: The outdoor shots are awesome. Great to see the new inclusion of the far and away ones with the tree. Has two great points of reference: 1 the tree, and 2 the fence with the dial in a closer position. One shows accurately the throw and reach while the other displays flood capabilities. :thumbsup: But it seems the creemator and the Lx2 were left out. :devil:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

:sssh: The outdoor shots are awesome. Great to see the new inclusion of the far and away ones with the tree. Has two great points of reference: 1 the tree, and 2 the fence with the dial in a closer position. One shows accurately the throw and reach while the other displays flood capabilities. :thumbsup: But it seems the creemator and the Lx2 were left out. :devil:

Thanks! If you read early in the post, you'll see these words. " If anyone wonders why the Creemator was not included, it just annihilates everything..:faint:"...

:duck:

And I sold my LX2 a while back...:mecry:

Maybe I'll shoot a Creemator beam shot just for fun!

Thanks!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great job as usual! How does the PD XP-G do in your new output tester?

SFfanman

Enlightened

Thanks! If you read early in the post, you'll see these words. " If anyone wonders why the Creemator was not included, it just annihilates everything..:faint:"...

:duck:

Thanks!

I did catch that, however, I just wanted to see you burn a whole through that tree. :devil::D

....with no offense to the environmentalists.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, great extensive informative beamshots !
Thanks, run4jc. :)

Haiku XP-G is a winner in my book according to your beamshot pic's, although other lights have great beam profiles, too.
I wish I have Haiku XP-G myself.

I have a question in general; Can XP-G Led and the reflector have a tighter fit together? Most of the XPG lights I've seen have a huge space btw the led and the reflector and you can almost see inside.

fyrstormer

Banned

No reason you couldn't design a reflector with a 20mm forward opening and a rear opening just big enough for an XP-G emitter to fit in, but most likely people are still using up the older reflectors designed for larger emitters, because they still focus the beam properly.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks fyrstormer.
Then I guess it's only a matter of time before someone comes out with a new reflector, or some kind of centoring ring that fits perfect for XP-G. :)

McGizmo

Flashaholic

No reason you couldn't design a reflector with a 20mm forward opening and a rear opening just big enough for an XP-G emitter to fit in, but most likely people are still using up the older reflectors designed for larger emitters, because they still focus the beam properly.

I have a proto LunaSol 20 with a XP-G behind the reflector and I think the exit diameter on it is about 16 mm. To extend that reflector out to yield a 20 mm exit diameter would likely entail a really deep reflector! It is also by its nature a short focal length reflector and best suited to a small image (die) while the XP-G has a larger die than its contemporaries. XP-G has small package but not a small die, relative to the others.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, great extensive informative beamshots !
Thanks, run4jc. :)

Haiku XP-G is a winner in my book according to your beamshot pic's, although other lights have great beam profiles, too.
I wish I have Haiku XP-G myself.

I have a question in general; Can XP-G Led and the reflector have a tighter fit together? Most of the XPG lights I've seen have a huge space btw the led and the reflector and you can almost see inside.

Thanks all for weighing in on the more technical aspects! As for the reflector/led - the led is literally flush up against the back of the reflector...datiLED shimmed it up to that point. There is a huge gap all around the led due to the larger diameter opening of the reflector, originally designed with the SSC P4 in mind, I think?

As for the Haiku XPG - it is still my all around favorite. I used it on the 'dog walk' early this morning, and I'm still taken by the balance of flood and throw. I was just excited that 'new life' had been breathed into an already outstanding light - that is, my McLux III Ti PD.

Gotta back off for a while, though! As Don once commented to me, "I have quite a quiver!" :whistle:

littlerm

Newly Enlightened

I'm hopeful of another great invention in the pizza oven, however I think Don is long overdue a high powered HD45 or 27LT type in ti.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm hopeful of another great invention in the pizza oven, however I think Don is long overdue a high powered HD45 or 27LT type in ti.

+1

I believe that he is long overdue for a 3 speed Ti HD45.