What to expect when you order an Arc-AAA..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The single largest reason an Arc-AAA is returned to us is for cosmetic reasons. As you know, cosmetics ranks low in my design philosophy. Sometimes people feel like the product is over hyped here on the CPF and the actual Arc-AAA is disappointing when they get it. I have posted here several times what to expect and I don't use a lot of hype. We make a good light but it far from perfect. All this shipping back and forth to try to find a cosmetically perfect light is wasteful. So in this thread, you get an honest presentation of what to expect.

This thread is similar to the thread I wrote earlier on, "What to expect when you order an Arc-LS". I went into more detail in that thread on shipping, dealers, warranty, etc.

--

Here's what the Arc-AAA should look like when you get it. This is what we call a "retail ready blister pack". It has the light, clip, instructions and battery.

AAAnew01.jpg

Here is an exploded view:

AAAnew02.jpg

If you want to remove the clip. Slid it carefully towards the head of the flashlight. If done correctly, this should not produce any scratches.

AAAnew03.jpg

Here's the same Arc-AAA with the clip removed. Notice the matte appearance of the HA finish. It is not a shiny finish. It is a hard, no-nonsense finish. The knurl does vary from the head to body because the parts are made at separate times. Same with the HA tint although this variation is harder to see on the Arc-AAA than the LS. The inscription shown is the new 3.3 version.

AAAnew04.jpg

Here is the tail view. It is normal to see some cosmetic issues on this end. Examples would include scratches, tooling marks, knurl overruns, etc. Each part has an individual character. Notice the thinness of the lug at the top end. This is to facilitate installation of the split ring. We have yet to have a single unit fail in this area.

AAAnew05.jpg

Here's the head view. The LED height will vary from unit to unit which also effects the beam corona size. Centering is tested by rotating the light 6 inches from a target. Deviation cannot be more than 1/2 inch for any specific marker.

One of the most frequent questions we get about the Arc-AAA head is, "where is the lens?". The 5mm LED has a built in lens. Adding an extra lens would reduce the total output by about 8%. Some people are worried about the LED being scratched or damaged. This is certainly possible but unlikely. Unlike many other keychain lights that have their LED exposed and protruding, the Arc-AAA recesses the LED into a reflector. This greatly reduces any impact, scratches, etc. The reflector will collect dust and lint over time, but the LED should hold up quite well. Another thing about adding a secondary lens; since the second lens would be less recessed, it would get scratched more easily. Notice how quickly the lens on the Mag Solitaire gets scratched up. Recessing the LED provides a durable, serviceable, bright and mechanically simple design.

AAAnew06.jpg

Side view of the head with the battery pack removed. Notice the o-ring, threads and battery retainer. The retainer is the black foam piece on the end. It can vary in color between black and grey.

AAAnew07.jpg

The positive contact area of the head. This is a solder pad which normally wears with use. See the DIY Arc-AAA Maintenance page on how to maintain this and other parts of the Arc-AAA. Sometimes too much lube or other factors may cause the retainer to pop off the head and stick in the battery compartment. Use a pin, etc to pull it out and ask us to send you a new retainer. You can also re-glue the old one if you want.

AAAnew08.jpg

Inside the battery compartment. This should be clean and shiny for the most part. It should also have a slight gold tint to it. The gold color does vary in intensity from unit to unit.

AAAnew09.jpg

Finally, the beam. My camera does a poor job of capturing beam detail. This picture makes it look nice and smooth but reality is much different! We use Nichia 5mm LEDs because they are the brightest 5mms in the world. We then hand sort them. We have noticed in the past year that the beams have gotten less smooth. These are similar to miniature low dome LEDs. There will be a blue center, with a ring around that and a green-yellow corona. There may be rings, blobs, etc in the beam. This beam is rougher than the beam of a good LSH for example.

AAAnew10.jpg

Like the Arc-LS, each Arc-AAA comes with a 10 year warranty against manufacturer's defect. Like the Arc-LS, the Arc-AAA is made right here in Arizona, USA. It is more American made than an American made car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hopefully this helps new buyers make an informed decision on our Arc-AAA. We think it is a good light and we do put a lot of care into each one. But again, they are not perfect. We hope this light serves you faithfully for many years to come.

Peter Gransee

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Peter
Thanks! I get what I expect from ARC, a reliable light from
a honest man. You & your lights are appreicated.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can solve the Nichia beam roughness by using Luxeons. Just here to help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

gyverpete

Enlightened
What to expect when you order an Arc-AAA?

A very well made, reliable, utilitarian LED flashlight, backed up by a dedicated, candid and honest manufacturer./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Benchmark quality and service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Same goes for the LS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
...Sometimes too much lube or other factors may cause the retainer to pop off the head and stick in the battery compartment. Use a pin, etc to pull it out and ask us to send you a new retainer. You can also reglue the old one if you want...

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there any particular adhesive which you would recommend for this operation?

My faithful companion has just recently been afflicted with this malady. The foam ring looks substantial enough to continue its service but I'm not sure what to use to try to glue it back on.

Thanks,
Pat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i noticed that though the hotspot of the newer nichias have become more uneven, the corona has become very nice and even, very much like a low dome LS. i prefer it this way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Speaking as me, and not as a flashlight reviewer, the Arcs I've gotten are very well-made, durable, bright instruments.
I have no real complaints about them.
And they've only gotten better since then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since I was already reasonably well-acquainted with LEDs when I got my first Arc-AAA, I didn't ask "Where's the lens". But somebody who is not very familiar with LEDs and their optical characteristics might wonder where the lens is when they first examine their Arc-AAA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of mine have been exlemplary. I worried about the lack of lens for ten seconds. That was way back in the early days of the LS, so I've been around them for a long time.

My normal carry one is on a neck chain and shows no signs of wear in the tail ring. The split ring however has turned a nice rusty brown as all non stainless metals do in contact with my skin. Everyone say ewwwww :green: And I'm too lazy to get a stainless one.

There is one on the forum that did fail in the tail. It looks like it was used as an anchor for a rappelling rope. :D Not normal use.

ragweed

Enlightened
My Arc-P has never failed to light. I think it is the best EDC going. Arc just dosn't get the press on the newest & brightest led's currently out there. What do you do when your clicky switch goes belly up in the middle of nowhere? Or, worse yet a survival situation?

fyrstormer

Banned
I like my Ti Arc AAA much more than my old Arc-P, because I don't have to worry about cosmetic scratches or damage to the LED -- not that I ever had any such issues with my Arc-P, either, but now it's guaranteed never to be an issue.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several ARC Cyan (or teal or nightvision green or whatever) that are still great lights for what they are.

There is a whole generation of people that are missing out on the wonders of a Cyan AAA light!

Long running, bright, I still have one on my dog's outdoor harness!

Status
Not open for further replies.