A New Mag for F250XL

saltytri

Enlightened
CPFer F250XL asked me to make a Mag to suit his particular needs. This also gave me a chance to try out an idea for an improved heat sink.

F250XL wanted an SST-50 that is both bright and has decent runtime. He doesn't need levels, so two 4x7135 boards were sandwiched and wired in parallel. The tail cap current with an IMR 26650 at 4.0V is 2.97A.

He needs a lot of spill along with a moderate hot spot. Several metal reflectors were tried but none came close to meeting the requirement, so a standard Mag reflector was lightly sputtered. This worked out very well. The beam actually seems more diffuse than the beam shots suggest but there is a nice soft-edged spot. The plastic lens was replaced with glass, of course.

Since it will always run at full tilt, the heat sink is a little bit enhanced. It is quite substantial and has a copper insert to which the SST-50 is reflow soldered. The copper cylinder is pressed into the heat sink. It is tight enough that it is hard to imagine how it would ever come out but the belt-and-suspenders approach made me tap the slug and fasten it with a machine screw from the inside of the heat sink. The bi-metal heat sink seems to be a success and heat dissipation won't be a problem.

There are two PVC battery sleeves. The larger one, for the 26650, has an o-ring around the outside with just enough friction that it stays in the body tube. Thanks for this tip go to darkzero.

The body tube is bored slightly so there is a very smooth finish for the heat sink to contact. The heat sink is just barely a slip fit. If I do say so, I couldn't have hit it better for maximum heat transfer. A few ten-thousandths either way would have made it less satisfactory.

The fins on the head were done a little differently. The usual method is to just run grooves into the head. After doing this, I flattened the top of each fin just a hair to change the profile slightly. Not a huge deal but I like the way it looks.

This project was a lot of fun and I think the new owner will enjoy it, which is the whole point after all!

MagDSST-50013.jpg

MagDSST-50018.jpg

MagDSST-50017.jpg

MagDSST-50014.jpg

MagDSST-50015.jpg

MagDSST-50011.jpg

MagDSST-50019.jpg

MagDSST-500110.jpg

MagDSST-50012.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait to get this one, looks great. I really like how you flattened out the fins on the head, nice touch. Now I hope my 26650's arrive in a timely fashion, although I do have a couple 18650's to hold me over. Thank you for your great communication, it is greatly appreciated.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Nice work David!

Thanks for this tip go to darkzero.

Thanks but I can't take credit for this. Many have used this method, I only started doing it once I was capable of doing it. I think I first saw it long ago from FiveMega or Mac? I forget. :thinking:

saltytri

Enlightened
Thanks, Will.

We newcomers just don't know all of the history. :shakehead

Mettee

Enlightened
purdy dang awesome, I like everything you did. Perfect! The switch is my fav I think. Did you o-ring it to maintain some water resistance?

drew

saltytri

Enlightened
Thanks for the kind comments, gentlemen.

Yes, the o-ring is the same as stock. As far as water getting in the back end, it's at least as water proof as the stock Mag switch. :D

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my 26650's yesterday, this beauty is scheduled to arrived today.....can't wait to try it out :twothumbs

saltytri

Enlightened
Better get those puppies on the charger.

And, don't you hate summer? It stays light way too late. You'll have to stay up past your bedtime to get the full effect of the light.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better get those puppies on the charger.

And, don't you hate summer? It stays light way too late. You'll have to stay up past your bedtime to get the full effect of the light.

The cells arrived @ 3.99 volts, I put one on my Pila charger for a couple hours and it came up to 4.18 :party: Ready to roll.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so which direction should I be looking when you switch that puppy on????

I'm in Maine BTW....

Look west/southwest :wave:

USP has delivered, looking forward to getting home and waiting for darkness :candle:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got to try it out for a bit last night, I really like it. The spill is brighter and wider than the KD 3xP4 light I was using, and the hotspot is about the same. This light definitely has the cool factor I was hoping for, and is built very well. Not sure why, but I brought it to work with me today....It is sitting on my desk as I type this :twothumbs