New LED retrofits in the news...

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, my favorite. Philips new 'EnduraLED'.

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/products/22417

Somebody in engineering might want to book a conference room and have a meeting with the marketing guys. Basically, I see a bit of unintended humour calling the bulb 'Endura' when it lasts for 25k hours. Or, maybe it was a parting joke by a disgruntled employee before somebody reset their password on Sharepoint :nana: I should mention the 90 cent 130volt 75watt Incans I get +10k hours from, or 20k hour plug in CFLs that only cost a coupla bucks.

Far more interesting is the DEFINITY LED bulb by the Lighting Science guys:

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/press/22419

770 OTF lumens from 9watts? At first I'd cry 'shens', but the fact is, their Ecosmart performs close to spec and got Caliper certified. Bulb should be available third quarter - and is being submitting for Caliper testing. I'm really going to pay attention to this one because even if it's in the same ball park as their claims it's a pretty significant jump in solid state lighting technology. Worst thing is, I have no idea how they're doing it.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Those figures are right on the edge of possible using today's best LEDs. Figure if we can reach ~140 lm/W with cool white, then we might get about 75% of that with warm or neutral. That's 105 lm/W for the emitter. Add in 10% optical losses and perhaps 10% ballast losses. Now you're at 85 lm/W, which is right where these test at.

I wonder about the 23 year lifetime claim. If we assume that's based on 6 hours per day, then that's 50,000 hours. Not bad, although I hope we aim for 100,000 or more in future products.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I know it's possible with top bin XP-Gs, but it looks like they're using Lamina's. Plus, you'd need what? Three or Four top bin Crees to hit that lumen levels? Not at the price point they're selling it at.....

I'll follow this one though.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how these bulbs handle the heat?
Most current A-19 size LED bulbs max out at 7W.
The DEFINITY LED is 9W.
The EnduraLED is 12W.

Yeah, I know it's possible with top bin XP-Gs, but it looks like they're using Lamina's. Plus, you'd need what? Three or Four top bin Crees to hit that lumen levels? Not at the price point they're selling it at.....

I'll follow this one though.

I know they can play tricks with the numbers by using single wavelength emitters (mixing RGB)... but that doesn't seem to be what they're doing.

I suppose (and I wonder how they could do this) they could also be doing PWM work to pulse the peak luminance high, then decrease it, giving more bright time.

I don't know. Lots of speculation.