2X 18650 won't fit in my mag 2C why?!

lexina

Enlightened
mattyg said:
Where do you get these mini magnets? I'm putting together a ROP/LE with 18650's and this is the first I've heard about using magnets instead of a spring. Can someone point me towards a thread about this or where to get them? Thanks.

Aw usually bundles them for free with his LiIons - check Dealer's Corner.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two unprotected 18650 cells fit very easily in my Mag 2C with "lots" of room to spare. This is after removing the tailcap spring and spare bulb, of course. The Mag came from Radio Shack and was purchased within the last six months. The cells came from an old laptop pack.

I took a 5/8 inch split ring (like the kind you would use for small key rings) and over-extended it with a screwdriver. After stretching it out a bit, it makes a perfect spring to fill the gap at the end. I'd figure there's probably about 3/16 inch of gap between the coils of the split ring, but most of that compresses after I screw on the tail cap.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
clever solution.. also you have to remove the anodizing in the tailcap.. the first time i used mechanical abrasion with a dremel and a sanding disc that was not easy.. very small space in there.. the second time i used the equivalent of drain cleaner.. i had to do it in two steps.. there was apparently a clear anodizing under the color one.

You can get pre-fab springs that work great.. just have to be the conical ones that compress completely flat.. 95 cents at ace hardware.. or about a buck for a silver one at the sandwich shoppe.

-awr

HammerSandwich

Newly Enlightened
I bent 1/2 a paper clip into a ghetto conical spring for my ROP LE. It's an okay temporary solution, at least for those waiting on an aluminum reflector and Borofloat. Pulls 4.1 amps on a fresh charge, so the resistance can't be THAT much...

mattyg

Newly Enlightened
lexina said:
Aw usually bundles them for free with his LiIons - check Dealer's Corner.

Kewl, I just ordered my 18650's from him.

Also, what are some options for removing the anodizing from the tailcap? Sanding, drain cleaner <- how do you do this?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a small steel cone-flaired wire brush and a Dremel.
It took about 15-20 seconds to get down to bare metal.

lexina

Enlightened
mattyg said:
Kewl, I just ordered my 18650's from him.

Also, what are some options for removing the anodizing from the tailcap? Sanding, drain cleaner <- how do you do this?

You can use lye drain cleaner - the type that has the caution "Do not use on aluminium or galvanised surfaces"! Just pour a few drops into the tail-cap and move away! If you use too much (like i did), it will bubble over and de-anodize the outside of the tail-cap as well. Safer to wear gloves and pour onto a disposable plastic spoon first so that you won't accidentally pour any onto your hands - it's highly caustic so be careful. Rinse carefully with lots of water. Also, try not to breathe in the fumes. If you have kids around, make sure they are far away.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if you don't want to mess with Lye or draino, there's a cleaning product called Greased Lightning that is great at removing anno but won't pit the Al and is a little safer to work with.

Jon