$30 Ra clicky. ;)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of curiosity, how bad are the taxes there.

In America, once you factor in Federal, State, Local taxes; and then all of the various other mandatory deductions (especially the ones for lazy jerks who are fit but refuse to work), it comes out to half your check that you get to keep.

Divide your hourly rate or salary by half. That's all you get to keep here in America.

Well, we do pay the annual income tax. Besides that we have to pay GST, the equivalent of VAT and Electronic Road Pricing (ERP). ERP is the one that sucks your money if you travel a lot. Everytime one passes the electronic gantry money is deducted from your cash card. On top of ERP we have the annual road tax and some other miscellaneous taxes. It could come up to quite a substantial amount if one belongs to the lower income earner.

choombak

Enlightened
It has been psychological, and will always be like that -- social structure and norms have "defined" how much one should pay for something. Generally people are willing to pay more for "lifestyle" stuff, like coffee, clothes, electronic good, etc.

This does not include a flashlight. We sill keep on using those age-old Eveready or some other brand incan which costs about $1 to $3, and/or some cheap Chinese made LED ones which cost about $0.5.

I don't even tell the price of my flashlights to anyone, as I will then be instantly labelled as a "nut" in the books forever. Heck, I don't even give my flashlights for man-handling, as most idiots don't have a clue that they are dealing with a sophisticated electronic device, just like their iPhone.

-Amarendra

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
I have a pretty good "justification" line...

"You have never ever said in your life.. I have too much light, but you have said.. I need more light."

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
im at the police academy in singapore, serving my national service...and guess what, senior officers have HEARD of surefire...and say im crazy for spending that amount of money on lights...

:laughing:

of course i had to explain that my 9p cost about $200 because its modified with a FM D26 sunlight module and running 3 IMR 16340s......

and of course my co-trainees all think im crazy for bringing about 5 lights, sometimes 5 completely different lights, every week

Crenshaw

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
When talking about flashlights with people I usually discuss prices with someone who shares a similar hobby such as knives, guns edc "stuff", gadgets, etc.
That way, he knows spending 100$ on a knife/light/keychain tool, is not alot.

Take for instance my boss. When I first got my Surefire M3 I showed it to him. "Wow, now this is a light he says" When he asks "How much, I bet alot" I said around 240. There was no :sick2: because he knows thats my hobby just like his is CB radios and spending 700+ on one radio.

Now if I was to tell my co worker the same thing I would get "Are you serious!!! WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY, what is this world coming to!"

You just have to pick your battles with this people.

Oh yah... My P2d was once compared to a mini mag :ohgeez:

geegee

Newly Enlightened
This really made me laugh. Whenever I get a new flashlight, knife, pack, or other assorted gear, if my girlfriend notices it, this is how our conversations typically go:

Girlfriend: Is that a new flashlight?

Me: *sheepishly* No . . . I've always had this light . . .

Girlfriend: No you didn't! How much did this one cost?

Me: Fine, it's new. I . . .

1. traded for it (I almost never trade)

2. got it on sale (well, at least my perceived value of it exceeds the price)

3. really needed it (like I need a hole in the head)

If I do tell her the price, it's always conveniently less than $50. She'll shake her head and say we could have had a nice dinner with that money, but it's okay, I tend to spoil both of us anyway.

With my recent Surefire and semi-custom binging, my lights are rarely under $50 ;)
My response at this point is "Shall we discuss how much was paid for my flashlights, or how much you pay for your shoes and purses, neither of which I can use in an emergency?"

TRDmatrix

Newly Enlightened
As an aviation mechanic, I'm always amazed at the flashlights that airplane owners carry in their million dollar turboprops.

if I see a maglite I'm actually happy they have a decent flashlight. I usually find eveready or some plastic 2d flashlight with corroded alkalines inside.

I dare not talk about flashlights with my customers

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
One of my friends who's been a pilot for decades was showing me a light that he bought and was a little embarrassed to tell me that he'd spent $50 on his Proton Pro!
Even after telling him how much some of them can run he still felt guilty about having spent so much on himself!

kromeke

Enlightened
The setting: car camping out in the national forest with some friends.

Of course, I've got my trusty Novatac 85p, my Surefire U2, and my newest, a Ra Clicky Prototype (I think I paid $190 for it).

One of the women brought a cheap Marlboro promo light. It was very dim. For the duration of the trip, I offered my Ra Clicky Proto, after some instruction on how to use the 4 levels, which she picked up on immediately. (computer savy person this woman is). She either asks, or I tell her, to emphasize that I don't want it lost, what it costs.

Her response: "Wow. But I kinda want one now."

I've discovered that a nice and bright flashlight can make camping out in the woods much less intimidating for the inexperienced. The fact that it had multiple levels was nice for those times when you don't want to disturb others.

My friends know that I've got an expensive flashlight collection (it isn't that many) so they are no longer surprised at how much they can cost. I've got champagne tastes in a few areas, but I try to keep it under control. I can always tell them about the expensive titanium lights that I don't own, and cost more than I'm willing to pay, just to keep things in perspective.