It's Here - Luxeon N Cell Flashlight

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
It\'s Here - Luxeon N Cell Flashlight

Inroducing the "Nano-Mate". Shown next the Micro Illuminator for size comparison.

key1a.jpg

This is a modified Streamlight Key Mate flashlight using the ArcMania Micro Pill with a R3J Luxeon and an N cell for power.

key2a.jpg

This makes for a truely key chain size flashlight with the punch of the Micro Pill for brightness.

key3a.jpg

I happened across this Key-Mate at a local hardware store, and decided it was worth checking out since some other CPFers had asked me about modding it. Well, the good news is everything fits like a glove. Yes, there are some small mods to make to the reflector and Micro Pill itself, but the results are well worth the effort.

key4a.jpg

This makes for a very nice mod, and allows ArcMania's MicroPill to really blast the light out.

So, what do you all think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Re: It\'s Here - Luxeon N Cell Flashlight

I'll take one if they are for sell!!!!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lambda,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif WOW! How much is that beastie going to cost me? I have the Micro and LOVE that light, the NanoMate would be perfect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Quanta Costa?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep. How much and what are the dimensions? Picture vs. Arc AAA or comparible for size? Runtime, power to the LS?

(did I mention I'm in line for a complete one?)

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sure, I'd be interested. I await all the details -- the ones that Phaserburn asked for.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

As soon as I can get my grubby little hands on one, I'll do a runtime plot with my new light meter.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

All good questions, but few answers at this time. I posted this as soon as I finished the mod. Haven't even had time to run batteries down at this point...

As for size, here it is next to an AA cell.

key5.jpg

As for price, that will depend on few things not yet known; cost of Luxeons (now sorted for color, no more greenies) and other factors. One being can the press fit front window be removed from ten lights without breaking any, one, two? etc. I'll post a list for this on my web page soon.

ArcMaia is sorting the Luxeons, so when that's done, and I find a place to order some KeyMates, I can probably give a price.

I'll also post detailed instructions for anyone who wants to try the mod themself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lambda,
Hmmmm, post details on how to do it ourselves? Sooooo, us Micro owners can swap the sandwich over to a Keymate, mod the reflector and get it all to fit? If so, this is a great day! You and ArcMania are the shiznitz! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had an opportunity to purchase rechargeable N-cells a while back. Now I'm kicking myself in the butt. That is one nice little package, lambda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

CM

hideo

Enlightened

Kevin, you are on a roll--

before I order another of your mods, I think I'll just wait a few weeks until you have the 1w PHOTON KEYCHAIN LIGHT CONVERSION driving a LS at 600mA using a small fusion cell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

but for now, the Q2J MiniLite is just dandy ...

hideo

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
Lambda,
Hmmmm, post details on how to do it ourselves? Sooooo, us Micro owners can swap the sandwich over to a Keymate, mod the reflector and get it all to fit? If so, this is a great day! You and ArcMania are the shiznitz! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes, that's the idea.

If you already have a Micro Pill, you can swap it into this mod if you want. That's the reason we ended up leaving the Pill loose in the Micro mod; for future swapping.

This reflector doesn't focus the beam quite as tightly as the Micro Illuminator, but does a good job. So, they each have their own good qualities.

I'll have Pills, Key-Mates, and complete mods available, so hopefully even if you just want the Key-Mate you can save a little on shipping/handling charges from a single retail purchase.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
I had an opportunity to purchase rechargeable N-cells a while back. Now I'm kicking myself in the butt. That is one nice little package, lambda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
CM

[/ QUOTE ]
Got a Radio Shk. store near you?
-they were still selling a 2-pk. of "N" NimH 6 months ago....

I'd like one 'o those Key-Mate mods too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lambda, I'm wondering what happened to the original design? Couldn't get the parts done?

gary1

Newly Enlightened

I am right here grinning. I am ready for the "kit version."

Gary

paulr

Flashaholic

Wow, that's really cool. NiMH N cells are available from digi-key, powerstream.com, places like that.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

Arc Mania,

We're here, we've just been patiently watching the old thread. Maybe I'll post a link to the new one?

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, I posted a note in the other N cell LS thread, but how about the other one with the cylindrical body?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif