3D-cell Mag Lite LED

purplewg

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3 D cell LED Mag Lite and the LED is bad. I have had it for years. I pulled it apart and the LED housing is marked D26-2 but I can't find a replacement for it. Do I have to buy a conversion kit and use it? Will the conversion kit work with an original LED Mag Lite?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the serial number start with "DL"?

Is there a spare bulb in the tail cap?

bridgman

Enlightened
Early LED Maglites were just regular incandescent lights with an LED drop in replacing the incandescent bulb. They included an incandescent bulb in the tailcap foam.

Later LED Mags had a permanently installed LED (part of the tower rather than something that dropped into the tower's bulb socket) and eliminated the tailcap spare bulb.

If you are able to remove the LED assembly (by unscrewing the collar ring as you would to remove a bulb) then you should be able to drop in any LED conversion bulb designed to run on the same voltage.

If, on the other hand the LED is built into the tower then that gets more difficult. Can you give us a bit more info ?

purplewg

Newly Enlightened
Early LED Maglites were just regular incandescent lights with an LED drop in replacing the incandescent bulb. They included an incandescent bulb in the tailcap foam.

Later LED Mags had a permanently installed LED (part of the tower rather than something that dropped into the tower's bulb socket) and eliminated the tailcap spare bulb.

If you are able to remove the LED assembly (by unscrewing the collar ring as you would to remove a bulb) then you should be able to drop in any LED conversion bulb designed to run on the same voltage.

If, on the other hand the LED is built into the tower then that gets more difficult. Can you give us a bit more info ?
Thanks, the LED is not built into the tower. So the conversions should work.

purplewg

Newly Enlightened
Picture of my switch/lamp housing and the LED sitting beside it.

Attachments

• MagLite.jpg
    MagLite.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 101

bridgman

Enlightened
IGNORE THIS POST, SEE NEXT INSTEAD

Great, that makes it easy.

You'll find a mix of 1 watt and 3 watt conversions - I think you'll need a 3 watt to match or exceed the original Mag LED assembly. There are some 5-watt conversions offered but they tend to need 6V or higher, ie more than you will get from 3 D cells.

This form factor seems to be one of the better options for 3W - worked fine on my 2D and 4D hosts but would not thread onto a 2C. Seems to have better heatsinking and so higher continuous output than the run-of-the-mill 3W options but not a huge increase:

Once you get into the 10W and higher range they become an option for a 3D light again because they tend to have more electronics in the assembly. I have one of these in my 4D host - it's pretty bright and has 3 modes if you want a do-everything light:

Last edited:

bridgman

Enlightened
Picture of my switch/lamp housing and the LED sitting beside it.

Hold on... I didn't realize the LED module came out of the tower like that... I'm curious how you managed to remove it ?

That is what I think of as "LED module built into the tower" ie no easy conversion available. Very glad you sent the picture !

Also my apologies for missing the post where you said the light had a serial number starting with DL - so dedicated LED.

My first thought would be to contact Maglite - they consider the LED to be a permanent part of the flashlight (unlike bulbs or batteries) so it's possible that they might fix/replace your module under warranty.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have a 2nd generation D cell Mag LED and the LED module is not intended to be replaced. you would probably have to get a new one from Mag unless you cannibalize another 3D Mag LED.

hsa

Enlightened
Yep, that's not the one that fits under the collar. Probably the 134 lumen model. They only did the drop in one for a couple years.
The new Ml 300l and ML 50L is really nice.
Did you, by chance drop that light on the ground and then have problems?

purplewg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I did contact Mag Lite to see what they have to say about a replacement. I had bought this for my wife years ago so I don't know if maybe she might have dropped it or not. I guess I will see what/if Mag Lite says.

purplewg

Newly Enlightened
I have dropped two of them and they quit working. Took the duracells out and put Ray O Vac in and they worked. I just wondered.
I did change the batteries and put a VOM across the new ones before installing.