My Romisen RC-T5 operates as follows:

Click -> 100%
Click -> Off
Click -> 50%
Click -> Off
Click -> Flashing
Click -> Off
Click -> 100%

and so on.... If I leave the light off for more than a minute, it starts over from the beginning just like above, no matter what was the last output level.

Eu

Same here. Also, I left mine on, on LOW for an hour (with 4 RCR123s) and never experienced any flickering (although rather than watch it for the hour, I just revisited it every 10 mins or so)

I really rate the torch personally.

batvette

Newly Enlightened
It's a 3-mode light.
According to batvette, it starts with low.

FWIW in my running on I wasn't clear, I was commenting on DX's MXpower 3 cree which appears to have the same tailcap 3 way clickie, though of course it may not be. If it were I thought it may be the source of the poor performance.

As for the UI of the mx, I think it's low strobe high but I'm not sure, every time it's like playing the lottery.

I'm waiting on the Romison. I'm under the impression it will be about 1 led brighter than the MX with less throw. Brighter=good. Just in case we forgot why we're here.:wave:

eddielee70

Newly Enlightened
FWIW in my running on I wasn't clear, I was commenting on DX's MXpower 3 cree which appears to have the same tailcap 3 way clickie, though of course it may not be. If it were I thought it may be the source of the poor performance.

As for the UI of the mx, I think it's low strobe high but I'm not sure, every time it's like playing the lottery.

I'm waiting on the Romison. I'm under the impression it will be about 1 led brighter than the MX with less throw. Brighter=good. Just in case we forgot why we're here.:wave:
mx power 3 cree is a different tailcap. can't be swaped. the brightness is not as bright as I wanted. only 23lux for the mx power compare to 26lux for T-5. the T-5 is driven at lower current as same batteries last longer then in the wf500, which was bright at 26lux 3 cree, but burn out in 10 minutes.

batvette

Newly Enlightened
mx power 3 cree is a different tailcap. can't be swaped. the brightness is not as bright as I wanted. only 23lux for the mx power compare to 26lux for T-5. the T-5 is driven at lower current as same batteries last longer then in the wf500, which was bright at 26lux 3 cree, but burn out in 10 minutes.

so you also have the MX power 3 cree as well as the Romison 4 cree? I just got my 4 cree in today, and am a little underwhelmed, it it no brighter than the MX and the tint, sadly, is the pukey yellow green that has infested about 20% of all the star-emotter lights I have ever bought. (of course only noticeably annoying next to a good tint light. )

I might even say it's a little dimmer than the 3 cree. To its credit is feels more solid, but heavier. Much more comfortable form factor with 3 rcr 123's but flickers right off with 3 RCR123's hot off the charger @4.2v ea. No flicker with 4 batteries.

In the same shipment I got my glass lens for the MX, and a single cr123 cree "romison rc-c3" which is a little bigger than its ultrafire cousin I've had for a while that gets way too hot to handle. The romison is equally bright and runs cooler but also suffers (less) from the pukey tint.

I should have just spent the buck and change on the lens and passed on the rest.

So my subjective review on the romison 4 cree reads like this:

Buy the MX power 3 cree and sent it to me (so I can have a 2nd) and I will mail you back a light nearly as bright, heavier, longer, with a smaller head, that looks a tad bit classier in finish, and I will try not to get any vomit on it looking at the beam as it goes in the box.

Oh and you get a holster too. I never wear a belt, one of the small perks about watching you don't overeat. Maybe its the color of the beams.

FWIW shipment was well packed and for the first time after 3 orders from Hong Kong, (2 DX, 1 Kai) ALL the RCR123 batteries work. (this time was 6 rcr123 unprotected, 800ma) Rechargeables rule! They rule! I.... am the great..... corn- oh, never mind. I'm 45 fer chrissakes.

In the end, you cannot follow "great" with "good" without some regret. My T-5 is "good". Well except for the pukey thing.

fordp

Newly Enlightened
:wave: Hi, this is my first post here. I'm from Sweden so english is not my language.

I've red about put the LED's from 2x2 in paralell to 4 in series . Is it possible with the orginal regulator or am I forced to change the regulator too?

fa__

Newly Enlightened
It's possible with the orignal regulator, but you then will have to use 4*123 to get a high enough voltage. In the long terme, the regulator heats a lot and will shut off until it cools down ... so in reality you should replace the regulator :grin2:

jims

Newly Enlightened
Can you recommend a regulator for this light? Preferably something the same size.
Thanks

Vermonter73

Enlightened
They sent an email today that mine has shipped....again.

Even if the electronics turn out to be a dud, the 4-Cree head will be perfect as a bike light with all the spill.

MatajumotorS

Enlightened
Can you recommend a regulator for this light? Preferably something the same size.
Thanks
What is the dimensions of the regulator used in this light? I have some work in progress here, or you could use this driver with some modifications (but with no "multibattery" - only 2x18650, or only 4xRCR123A).

eddielee70

Newly Enlightened
for those you their t-5 order got backorder have it lucky, the new one that I got was 4 white len cree led instead of my 3 week old yellow len led t-5. when I installed the batteries, they were very bright. much brighter then my old 3-week old T-5. I test them to the lux meter, yeap, the old t-5 read 14.8lux and new white len led read 19.2lux( 27% brighter). dealextreme doesn't mentain what led was used, so I can not return them for the white Cree. I think these white led are really Q4 as in their Romisen website then.

Last edited:

deathkenli

Newly Enlightened
I got mine this noon.
There is only one word to describe it: BRIGHT!
BTW, those CREEs on the RC-T5 is different from the one on my RC-F4, bare metal base on T5, yellow phosphor coating on F4.
I ordered a grey T5, but DX sent me a black-grey one. Didn't bother to return it, I'm not picky about color anyway.

dda

Newly Enlightened
No yellow phosphor on the LEDs? What are they using, nanocrystals? My T5 has yellow phosphor and is also very bright.

Last edited:

Fubar411

Newly Enlightened
So is this the best bang for the buck LED flashlight that takes 2 18650 batteries? I don't care for multi-mode, I might just bypass it if possible.

Xak

Enlightened
Mine is backordered with an ETA of 2/25. Think it will come with the brighter, clear LEDs?

europium

Enlightened

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
old 3 week T-5 have this color of led on:
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3293

new T-5 that just arrived 3 days ago that is 25% brighter had the white background led.
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=4076

don't know the if it's q4 or not, but it's 25% brighter with lux meter. you figure it out.

Is there a difference in runtime between the two different RC-T5 lights you have?

Eu

Hi

RC-T5 4xCree

Yellow Base Cree -
2x 18650 = 0.7A
4x RCR123A = 0.58A

Silver Base Cree -
2x 18650 = 0.8A
4x RCR123A = 0.57A

Yellow

Silver

With the yellow ones the yellow coats everything internal - including the four little connector wires . . .

The Older Yellow base version seems to have a poorer driver that underdrives when using 2x18650 cells and is noticably brighter when on 4xRCR-123A

Cheers Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.