#4 FOURSEVENS Quark Smart QSL !

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I believe the head is glued on so unlike a normal quark that's a no go aka lego.

Mine is not glued... at least not very well ;)

I tried it last night with 2 eneloop cells in a regular quark 2AA tube, and it worked fine (albeit a little less play than I'd prefer). I also tried a 2L tube with an olight 16340 and a spacer/dummy, but the tailcap still needed to be loosened.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Mine is not glued... at least not very well ;)

I tried it last night with 2 eneloop cells in a regular quark 2AA tube, and it worked fine (albeit a little less play than I'd prefer). I also tried a 2L tube with an olight 16340 and a spacer/dummy, but the tailcap still needed to be loosened.

You are right. It was just on a bit tight. No glue. I tried 2XAA but a total of 2.8 volts put it deep in the low voltage rage. However a KeepPower 16650 protected 2500 mAh seemed to fit just fine backed off minus the clip which was already removed. It's the battery I use in the high voltage quark heads.

xQSVzq4.jpg

I will see how it works

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Thanks WW! That's exactly the 16650 I was considering... so you're saying that the tailcap still needs to be backed off a touch while using that battery? In that case I may try filing down one of my dummy CR123 spacers...

Woods Walker

Here is the second piece to unexpectedly drop out of the light. The first was the tail cap spring and now this. It took maybe 5 lbs of force to unscrew the head using my fingers so can't imagine that's the reason but who knows. So I just dropped it back in the head. Seems to be working and might have worked without it if my memory is right. This light is no MD2..... LOL!

CeLUdA9.jpg

Woods Walker

Thanks WW! That's exactly the 16650 I was considering... so you're saying that the tailcap still needs to be backed off a touch while using that battery? In that case I may try filing down one of my dummy CR123 spacers...

Yes though I wonder if naked lithium ion act the same as reducing the length. I don't have any unprotected batteries in either size. On a side note check out your head to see if the golden ring fell out like mine did. edit to say an unprotected lithium ion should be shorter than protected. Given the low voltage warning over discharging seems unlikely.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Looking closer at the head's threads it does appear there was an attempt to glue them but whatever was used had near zero hold. I could be wrong though.

Woods Walker

Yes though I wonder if naked lithium ion act the same as reducing the length. I don't have any unprotected batteries in either size. On a side note check out your head to see if the golden ring fell out like mine did. edit to say an unprotected lithium ion should be shorter than protected. Given the low voltage warning over discharging seems unlikely.

edit to add. I don't think it is worth the time to try and modify this light to work with lithium ion without backing off on the tail. Even with backing off it is an exact length required for proper usage of the UI. It is hard to get it right with this tail cap. Think of it like this. Anything we are doing or discovering in this thread is probably already known by David. He is a flashaholic after all and the maker. So odds are full lithium ion support isn't easy. He would of tried.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Yes though I wonder if naked lithium ion act the same as reducing the length. I don't have any unprotected batteries in either size.

Ah, too bad, I was hoping the 16650 would shave off a millimeter and make the tailcap plunger just the right length. :\ I don't have any unprotected cells either, and with this light being quirky and unproven in terms of parasitic battery drain, I'm thinking it would be a bad idea to go unprotected.

On a side note check out your head to see if the golden ring fell out like mine did.

Funny, I was going to ask you about that as well... :) mine had the same (brass?) ring loose in the head, and I did the same thing you did, popped it back in before re-attaching the tube, and no issues to report. As far as I can tell it's there to improve contact between the board and the body tube, but it occurs to me that replacing it with a brass washer of the same diameter -- but about 0.75 mm thicker -- might accomplish the goal of lengthening the body tube just a bit. I'm going to see if I can find anything like that lying around, or maybe make a trip to Lowes this weekend.

[EDIT]
I don't think it is worth the time to try and modify this light to work with lithium ion...

You may be right. It's probably going to be difficult to hit just the right size -- it's a balance of body tube length and battery length, and the target precision is less than a millimeter. Certainly there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution, or David would probably have figured it out. I've got a couple of ideas to try to better match the battery tube length to the specific 16340 battery that I have in my hand, but not a lot of hope I'll find a solution that's elegant, cost-effective, or effective for anyone else.

Last edited: