47`s MC-E COLOR & MC-E STANDARD 18650 unnamed light!

Bronco

Enlightened
How great would it be to have an MC-E where two of the dice were warm white for about 400 lumens output, one die was red, and one was 365nm UV - each color controlled seperately. :)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a tad more info...the light will output 500 lumen. I`m looking forward to this light...if I`m still alive when it comes out.

recDNA

Flashaholic
That is exactly what I am thinking as well. At the same time their full on White only version looks very intriguing as well since 4Sevens is talking about using active thermal management to allow them to push the light to it's limit safely without worrying about damaging anything. Either the one version with lower output RGB (does it also have a single die with white output?) or the second version with 4 dies running full tilt on white. I am very interested in both.

Does that mean as it heats up it gets dimmer?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MC-E's dies are individually addressable if you wire them up in parallel, so you can do all sorts of fun things with it. You can have four steps of output on direct drive by switching dies on or off, for instance. You can also wire it up in series for a higher voltage circuit. I imagine the multi-colour light will allow you to select individual ones. Mixing colours would also be interesting, but that would be one hell of a UI.

Individually addressable does not mean parallel.

Individually addressable means each die is pinged independent of the other dies. In parallel, all four LED+ terminals are connected and all four LED- terminals are connected. When you power the MC-E, all four dies light up, with Vf typically around 3.4V for 700mA per core.

I would think that wiring this color MC-E in 4P would be a bad idea since Vf for the various colors probably varies. Thus, you will have a high likelihood of LED imbalance and thermal runaway.

This color MC-E seems like a solution looking for a problem.

xenonk

Enlightened
Individually addressable does not mean parallel.
I'm aware of that. I was using very loose nomenclature (parallel vs series) to distinguish the different ways the MC-E series can be wired.

The Vf of the multicolour MC-E's white green and blue dies are very similar, but red is significantly lower. You would of course need a driver with a source for each die, which is also where we get into colour mixing and whether it would have any practical use.

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: 47`s MC-E COLOR 18650 unnamed light!

Is it possible to only light up one of the leds on the die? I'm obviously not a multi-die expert.

as of currently only the MCE has the capability because individual dies are independently addressable...

What is Cree's main purpose for this? Is it for improved color rendidtion with them all on simultaniously or for mult-color choices in one light?

If each die is individually addressed with different current resulting in different intensities then there's an infinite variety of different colors you can create with one LED.

If you can imagine an array of say some exponential square 1, 4, 9, 16, etc. of MCE's. the pin for each color is connected to its own string then connected to a dimmer. You could sort of see the possibilities for fixed lighting purposes.

When housed in a flashlight though, you could potentially have a red, blue, green, and white flashlight [and even an high CRI mode if all dies are lit] without the need of 5mm LEDs sandwiched in the reflector distorting the spatial output pattern. Each die can then be addressed at different currents, beating the Surefire Kroma in its own game...without the 5mm LEDs

adept1

Newly Enlightened
I have no idea what I'd do with the light, but I'm pretty sure I need one!
:hitit: