4Sevens Atoms Family Review

gunga

Flashaholic
Thanks Robert!

Thanks for the feedback Bill. I have had similar experiences but am a bit torn myself. Here are my observations.

- The stainless bodies are very thin, thus the o-ring groove and the resulting o-ring is very thin and fragile. My Atom AL ring broke on the first day. After lubing the spare I have not had any issues. My preon P0 is quite old and I have not had any o-ring issues.

- Anyone who tells you strong magnets won't affect cards etc is hedging the truth. The magnets are strong, making them useful in holding the lights on metal surfaces. I've had similar lights with weak magnets. These were pretty much useless as they could barely hold the light onto the metal surface. If you wish to use the light close to credit cards etc (yes, like on a keychain) perhaps it's best to demagnetize the light using a lighter (as suggested by 4Sevens). Otherwise, I find the magnets useful.

- construction quality is not super rugged but I haven't noticed any issues so far.

Last edited:

BlueSwede

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else having problem with mode skipping on their Atom AAA? Whenever I turn on my Atom AAA it's a lottery whether it'll start in low or high... I usually have to twist and turn several times to get the mode I need. I much prefer the progressive twist function on my Atom AA.

gunga

Flashaholic
My Preon/Atom A0 consistently starts on low, but lately I have had some issues with flicker and the high mode on my (much older) preon. I got it fixed before (just a loose pill) but I think it's permanently messed up now, so it's back for an exchange (one of the benefits of the 10 year warranty I guess).

I too would much prefer the progressive twisty interface on the Atom A0.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Emailed FourSevens today, and they very quickly offered to send some more O-rings. I'll try it with Nyogel lubricant as soon as they arrive. For now, my MLR2 is back on my keychain, and will remain there until the A0 has been put through enough paces to give me more confidence in its longevity.

If FourSevens would offer a Mini in CR2 or AAA format with a red LED, I would buy one in a second.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
- Anyone who tells you strong magnets won't affect cards etc is hedging the truth. The magnets are strong, making them useful in holding the lights on metal surfaces. I've had similar lights with weak magnets. These were pretty much useless as they could barely hold the light onto the metal surface. If you wish to use the light close to credit cards etc (yes, like on a keychain) perhaps it's best to demagnetize the light using a lighter (as suggested by 4Sevens). Otherwise, I find the magnets useful.

- construction quality is not super rugged but I haven't noticed any issues so far.

(Emphasis added).

I had not realized that FourSevens recommended a demagnetization procedure. I have seen the procedure posted by participants here, but the point about FourSevens recommending it is interesting, particularly from a warranty standpoint.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I followed the demagnetization procedure mentioned in the linked thread above, with the following results.

I started by removing the head and battery from the light. The O-rings were all broken, so there was none to remove, but an O-ring certainly would not benefit from being left in place. I then held the magnet within the flame of a lighter for about 20 seconds. A black residue appeared on the portions of the light that contacted the flame. After waiting a few minutes for the light to cool, the residue wiped right off with a paper towel. The magnet was significantly weakened, but not totally demagnetized.

A second, 30 second heating resulted in the same black residue and no further change in the magnet's strength.

The split ring had been left in place for the prior 2 heatings, but i removed it for the third heating to make cleaning the residue off the light easier.

A third, longer heating was stopped after 50 seconds when I noticed smoke coming from the interior of the tube. When I examined the tail of the light, I found that the magnet had fallen from its recess. Once everything cooled down and everything was wiped clean of the black residue, I found that the magnet was completely demagnetized. I tossed it in the trash. I never identified the source of smoke from inside the light, but at this point there is no danger of the magnet damaging any cards. When everything was re-assembled, the light worked normally.

So, one of my two objections to the design of this light has been addressed. Once my O-rings arrive, I'll apply the lubricant and see about the other one.

gunga

Flashaholic
Wow. Interesting. The magnet fell out? I guess all that heat broke down the glue. As for the smoke, could easily be some kind of residue inside that burned off. Their is no spring or anything inside so it's not likely to be an issue.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
My O-rings arrived yesterday. I added lubricant to the threads and O-ring groove, installed an O-ring, and applied some more lube over the top of the O-ring, per the instructions in the general lube thread. I have made it a point to activate the light, and remove and reattach the head, multiple times today. The lubricant definitely seems to improve operation of the light and lengthen the life of the O-ring.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look like nice flashlights, but I really don't like the idea of carrying a powerful rare earth magnet in my pocket. Seems like a great way to screw up any card with a magnetic stripe.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yep. A little lube goes a long way with these thin fragile o-rings. You could just do the lighter trick if you want to pocket carry and not have the strong magnet. It's a little bit of a kludge but it does work.

gunga

Flashaholic
Therein lies the key. You don't consider it a good solution, but really, it's the design of the light.

The strong magnet makes the light useful for working on a car or attached to a metal surface. It also works quite nicely with the headlamp kit.

When used in a key chain etc, it's probably best to de-activate the magnet with a lighter since, as you know, it will damage credit cards etc. Besides, when the split ring is attached, it doesn't work with the headlamp kit anyways.

Just because a light is not all things to all people, does not make it bad.

I like to have moonlight lows on all my lights and have them start on low. Many people feel that is foolish because they required max burst on demand. It all depends on what one wants out of the light. Just buy accordingly.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The strong magnet makes the light useful for working on a car or attached to a metal surface.

image.jpg

BillSWPA

Enlightened
There are few options with a red LED for preserving dark adapted vision. I was surprised at how effective this light is for this purpose even on high. I am much happier after using a lighter to deactivate my magnet.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just because a light is not all things to all people, does not make it bad.
I never said it was bad. I said I didn't like the idea of having a strong magnet on a pocket light. Personally, I would like to see the light sold either without a magnet as an option or make the magnet user-removable by design (rather than having to melt it out with a lighter like a previous poster).

gunga

Flashaholic
I agree with you there. Unfortunately now it's an economics thing. The cost of making and maintaining two options. Removable magnet is a good idea but again is just a cost and reliability thing. What you want makes total sense.

Latest posts