4Sevens Atoms Family Review

Etsu

Enlightened
I don't get the credit card complaint about magnets. Who uses a magnetic stripe on a credit card nowadays? Everything is chipped. Welcome to the 2010's.

inetdog

Enlightened
Europe uses chips. US still uses mag stripes even on cards which also have near field communications.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Heating the magnet does not melt it out. It just reduces the ability of the magnet to hold its magnetic properties. In my case, it also destroyed the adhesive which holds the magnet in place, which is not a bad thing in my opinion. The magnet was quite solid when it fell out, and could be safely handled after a couple of minutes of cooling.

Enlightened
They look like nice flashlights, but I really don't like the idea of carrying a powerful rare earth magnet in my pocket. Seems like a great way to screw up any card with a magnetic stripe.
I've always carried my wallet and key chain in separate pockets. Am I the only one?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get the credit card complaint about magnets. Who uses a magnetic stripe on a credit card nowadays? Everything is chipped. Welcome to the 2010's.
Magnetic stripes continue to be widely used on a variety of cards including credit cards, gift cards, pass-key cards, membership cards, etc., so it's a legitimate concern.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
As far as the magnet is concerned I note that Olight has no problem making the magnets on their S series lights user removable without applying heat so there is absolutely no reason I can see why FourSevens cannot do the same.

gunga

Flashaholic
Well, you are correct, but let me make a note about the differences. The Olight has a tail cap, so it's easy to add a magnet internally and have a spring to hold it in place. These Atom lights are a solid body (no tailcap) with no spring in the tail. So it is difficult to work with if the magnet is internal, and there is nothing to hold the magnet in place since the design revolves around a non-moving (no spring) contact in the tail. It's possible, definitely, just not super practical based on the design. If this light used a tail cap and spring in the tail, I would be more included to agree.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
One additional comment about demagnetization: the black residue that appeared on the outside of the light also appeared on the inside of the light. After demagnetization, my light developed some serous reliability issues in terms of mode skipping as well as remaining on when turned on. Cleaning out the inside of the tube with a Q-tip seriously reduced the problem. Cleaning the inside contact surface of the head of the light (which was not on the light during heating, but lubricant may have subsequently worked its way up there) solved the remainder of the issues.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
My Atom A0 is now off my keychain, replaced by the Mini MLR2 that was there previously.

I like the idea of a red LED for a secondary light. I like the way it preserves night vision. I like the fact that the low, red light is perfect for checking on kids without waking them up, or not waking my wife up. Unfortunately the level of reliability I get from this light does not merit EDC. It is now limited to use around the house.

FourSevens is my favorite flashlight maker. I own 9 of their products, and carry 1-3 of them daily. I have recommended them numerous times and will certainly continue to do so. However, my recommendations will not include Atom models going forward.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
FourSevens is my favorite flashlight maker. I own 9 of their products, and carry 1-3 of them daily. I have recommended them numerous times and will certainly continue to do so. However, my recommendations will not include Atom models going forward.

Have you contacted David (the owner of 4Sevens) about the issue? I'm sure he'd make it right if there was an issue with your light.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I am certain they would do what they could to resolve the issue. Part of it may have resulted from demagnetizing the magnet. If they send me a new light, I would most likely demagnetize the new one, and thus possibly be right back where I am now. That is why I have hesitated to make a warranty claim.

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill, I'll be happy to check out your light and see what we can do to resolve the issue. Please contact me privately or contact customer service and we'll do our best to fix it.

David

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ hard to beat that :).

FourSevens is my favorite flashlight maker. I own 9 of their products, and carry 1-3 of them daily. I have recommended them numerous times and will certainly continue to do so...

+ 1.

And we know David is now affiliated with Olight. Just wanted to say they too have now impressed me with honest marketing integrity and excellent warranty and customer service.

Thank you David!

radiopej

Enlightened
Yeah, I liked the idea of this light but I just didn't find it durable enough. Gets hot on fast way too quickly and the oring doesn't last long at all.

Ended up using it at one of those locked-room mystery things by putting it on the ceiling on high. After about 10 seconds it shorted out and I found condensation in it. It had worked fine mostly before then.

I have a G5 at my mother's now and that feels solid, so I don't think it's an issue with the company. They gave me an RMA to return the light for repair but at the postage being half the cost of buying a new one it didn't feel worth it. It sits in a box now and I have a Fenix E99 Ti on my neck now. I think it's an almost perfect light in terms of concept, but just needs that tank-level construction. I'd also probably have gotten a AAA version instead for my necklace. CR123 feels a bit too heavy with the battery in place.

EDIT: The G5 plays up a bit too now. Maybe it is the company.

Last edited:

Latest posts