5 Watt Cyan Luxeon Star in a 5 'D' cell Mag Lite?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 5 Watt Cyan Luxeon Star in a 5 \'D\' cell Mag Lite?

Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
How about making a torch with 1 5W cyan Luxeon and 2 5mm cyan nichias? The Luxeon would be switched in when you really need need lots of light, and the nichias could operate as economy mode lighting and give the torch longer battery life (If its anything like my 3C hundreds of hours. This would give you a torch with the best of both worlds! Admitedly some kind of intellgent switching system would be required.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It might be easier to add a second switch, and add in some resistance, and have a low and high beam.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Hemingray

Enlightened

I just received one of Wayne's 4D/5C 5 Watt Cyan lights, and omigawd, is it ever bright... This is one light you don't ever want to even think about looking directly into! (No, I didn't, and won't).
The workmanship is excellent in all ways.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Did a side by side test at a 5 foot range (table top to white ceiling, against a home made 36 X 7,000 mCd cyan LED board, the 5 watter completely overpowers it, like comparing the sun to a full moon. So much for my project of making 36 LED, 4D flashlights, the Luxeons deliver far more power for less cost.

My neighbors are probably wondering what all that weird bluish-greenish light was last night
tongue.gif

Do not look into flashlight with remaining eye...

/ed brown in NH
cool.gif

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

>Do not look into flashlight with remaining eye.<

Sounds like this should either be etched into the metal case, or possibly made a stencil so it is projected onto whatever is lit up by the light......

How's the acrylic ball "square beam' look? The wide floodlight coverage looks _great_. How hard is it to switch between the two setups?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by hank:
>Do not look into flashlight with remaining eye.<

Sounds like this should either be etched into the metal case, or possibly made a stencil so it is projected onto whatever is lit up by the light......

How's the acrylic ball "square beam' look? The wide floodlight coverage looks _great_. How hard is it to switch between the two setups?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The acrylic ball beam looks, square. If you put in a little space, it evens out the bars image emitted from the LS. There are 16 bars, and if you focus it perfectly, you can count them.

Although not all the light is captured by the ball, it is still extremely intense, especially at full power.

The Garrity 3D I modified, at a narrow focused beam, is around 9650 lux, measured from one meter. I think the acrylic ball is about the same, but a wider beam. I did measure it once, but don't remember the exact figure.

You cannot switch between the two. I have only used the 1" acrylic ball in the Brinkmann LX, as it fits perfectly in the head.

The best setup I have done is with the Garrity Ozark Tail 3D flashlight, because it is focusable, from a tightly focused beam, to a wide angle flood.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gotcha. I haven't seen what the business end of one of these big modified Mags looks like after you're done with it (I mean, with the power off) so I wasn't sure at all. If there's a closeup on your website I've missed it.

Saaby

Flashaholic

LOL! Ah, good ole CPF. Wayne doens't seem to mind...but I am humoring myself, lets see how this topic started:

"I have plans to purchase a few 5 'D' cell Mag Lites, and put a cyan 5 watt Luxeon Star in them. I can't get a good price on the flashlights, unless I get at least 5. Any interest? Probably could sell them around $59.99.

This is a huge size flashlight, but 120 lumens (or more, overdriven) is a lot of light!"

So there you have it...

Carry on--however you may
grin.gif