500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megatrowned

Enlightened
For my part, I am looking forward to its release. The anticipation, though, is what makes this so enjoyable. To get what you want, always when you want it, makes us humans unappreciative.

I do have a question though. I remember during all the talk of the many possible body materials of the Torpedo (aluminum, brass, ect.) that Titanium had been mentioned. Is this something on the docket? I wouldn't want to miss the first run of these hoping to get something that wouldn't be happening.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Yeah.. dont be sorry.. any one of your protos will cheer me up! :lolsign:

I guess I will just have to continue camping around waiting for your finished torpedo to show off :D

JJ

Hi ruriimasu,

Im really sorry about that :shrug:
Perhaps a late birthday present...:grouphug:

tgwnn

Hi Cataract,

Thanks for posting and sorry to you too :mecry:

I hope in some way the ongoing saga and adventure makes up for just a little of the waiting but rest assured, Im still pushing as hard as ever to get the Torpedo completed!
I've noticed some comments in other forums questioning if its really going to happen.
Its happened (I have a few Torpedos), just not en-masse yet and that is because quality and stability needs to be verified before I can sell these as instruments rather than just collectibles.

Thank you to everyone for your patience.

It was also brought to my attention that some people in this thread did not know about the MBI-HF (pre-orders starting soon) and wondered why I hadn't announced it here. It has been mentioned but in snippets of secret-ish info before the thread was ready.
Its as small and powerful as the Torpedo, just not as advanced (a li-ion only light, and definitely a flashaholics only thing!)

sorry, sorry, sorry and I sincerely hope the wait is worth it :D

tgwnn

gunga

Flashaholic
OKay, found some pricing details ($65) and such. This is such an amazing light. I wasn't thinking it would be suitable (I'm not looking for a 500 lumen AAA light), but the control ring, 10440 use, etc, are awesome!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't be sorry! We are happy to wait for perfection! That thing will be used a lot, no doubt! :)
- GIR -
Hi GIR,

No one is blaming you, Guy. We're just impatient, that's all.
Hi Cataract,
thanks. Then its "our" fault :lolsign: (maybe)

No sorrys needed. I check this thread everyday (at least once), to see how the development is progressing. I have other lights to use in the interim. I imagine we all do.
We are excited about this light, but we can wait.
Onward and upward!
Hi Jabe,
Thanks. A daily routine to make sure you stay a true flashaholic :D

Geez. I just started looking into this remarkable light. Is there a proposed price? Preorder or reserve?
Hi gunga,
Thanks for posting.
Target is $65 but to be honest, I've spent zillions on this so far.....
Waiting for the final stable working proto before I can accept any pre-orders.

For my part, I am looking forward to its release. The anticipation, though, is what makes this so enjoyable. To get what you want, always when you want it, makes us humans unappreciative.

I do have a question though. I remember during all the talk of the many possible body materials of the Torpedo (aluminum, brass, ect.) that Titanium had been mentioned. Is this something on the docket? I wouldn't want to miss the first run of these hoping to get something that wouldn't be happening.
Hi Megatrowned,

Thanks and well said.
I think the anticipation can sometimes be as satisfying as the arrival (almost...)
Titanium will definitely be an option and very likely the first run.

Yeah.. dont be sorry.. any one of your protos will cheer me up! :lolsign:
I guess I will just have to continue camping around waiting for your finished torpedo to show off :D
JJ

hehe....
I might just have to consider a traveling torpedo pass-around of my best proto!

Somewhat timely...
I just received word that the last PCB maker "gave up"!!
OMG :faint:
I have just switched on PCB maker #2 and hopefully they will get this thing straightened up somewhat faster.
Their ETA is 35 days... (who's birthday will we miss next?)

Not ever planning to give up, even if it takes 100 years and a million bucks (give or take a few dollars)!

tgwnn

p.s. some refuge and good news coming soon in the CoreTi & HF threads

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crap. Now my eyes are glued to my phone. I can't drive and keep both eyes on 2 threads. This is bad.

Just kidding, I'm a pilot.

Just kidding again. Luckily I'm sitting down. When I see you get his excited about an update I know its got to be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
TGWNN has a habit of getting us all excited.

Im actually EXCITED about his products. It has been really neat to watch the process and have him talk about it from start till "company 1 gave up, going to company 2." Talking to a friend, i had to kind of agree, it makes us feel as if we are a part of the process! :)

Esko

Enlightened

Im actually EXCITED about his products.

I believe some people are excited just about being excited...:rolleyes:

About the price estimate; As said many times before, we understand if it doesn't quite hold. And even if you want to keep it at $65, it could be the price for the first pre-order batch only.

Anyway, since there will probably be some versions made of brass, copper, titanium or such, some kind of price estimate for them would be nice, too (same applies to the different versions of HF). :naughty:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]
Somewhat timely...
I just received word that the last PCB maker "gave up"!!
OMG :faint:
I have just switched on PCB maker #2 and hopefully they will get this thing straightened up somewhat faster.
Their ETA is 35 days... (who's birthday will we miss next?)

Not ever planning to give up, even if it takes 100 years and a million bucks (give or take a few dollars)!

tgwnn

One week short of missing mine! For now, I have transfered my hopes on the HF for my birthday, but it won't be a big thing if it's not here on time... it'll just give me a reason to buy one more light.

:eek: They gave up????!!? Obviously they do not know what exceptional quality is. Maybe the other guys will be able to make it work like originally intended

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
OKay, found some pricing details ($65) and such. This is such an amazing light. I wasn't thinking it would be suitable (I'm not looking for a 500 lumen AAA light), but the control ring, 10440 use, etc, are awesome!

Hi gunga,
Glad you found it, thanks :)

Crap. Now my eyes are glued to my phone. I can't drive and keep both eyes on 2 threads. This is bad.
Just kidding, I'm a pilot.
Just kidding again. Luckily I'm sitting down. When I see you get his excited about an update I know its got to be good.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Hi Alex,
"it's all good!"
Just varying degrees of good on a daily basis :D

Im actually EXCITED about his products. It has been really neat to watch the process and have him talk about it from start till "company 1 gave up, going to company 2." Talking to a friend, i had to kind of agree, it makes us feel as if we are a part of the process! :)

Hi GrimCreaper,
Thanks and you are a part of both the process and the final product.
I just hope I can do a good enough job of translating everyones input into the final masterpiece ;)

Haha grim thats how I feel. I bought a 100 lm AAA to hold me over. I almost bought another today. Ahh!
-Alex
When I skimmed through your post I thought you bought 100x AAA batteries :D just to be ready :crackup:
HF coming soon....

I believe some people are excited just about being excited...:rolleyes:

About the price estimate; As said many times before, we understand if it doesn't quite hold. And even if you want to keep it at $65, it could be the price for the first pre-order batch only.

Anyway, since there will probably be some versions made of brass, copper, titanium or such, some kind of price estimate for them would be nice, too (same applies to the different versions of HF). :naughty:

Hi Esko,
Thanks for the post.

In my still very modest flashlight making career, it seems that aluminium is the least expensive metal to work with.
Everything else, then spikes (in price) as the material costs, cutting and tooling costs all increase.
So still not sure on a final price but perhaps 25%~40% premium over an aluminum version (depending also on quantities).
When the quantity is smaller, of course that affects the price too.

One week short of missing mine! For now, I have transfered my hopes on the HF for my birthday, but it won't be a big thing if it's not here on time... it'll just give me a reason to buy one more light.

:eek: They gave up????!!? Obviously they do not know what exceptional quality is. Maybe the other guys will be able to make it work like originally intended
Hi Cataract,
I guess everyone has different ambitions.
For some its easy steady work, for me I just can't say know to the impossible :cool:

tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well well, my birthday used to be Aug 9, but I guess it won't hurt to reschedule it to the final shipping date.....:) :) :)

GIR

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, don't remember if this has been mentioned already but how about a blind cap to put on the not-currently-in-use body so one can put a battery in it and carry it as a spare? So when need arises just swap bodies on the head/blind cap and off you go. More stylish than carrying a plastic battery case. :)

- GIR -

SPNKr

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, don't remember if this has been mentioned already but how about a blind cap to put on the not-currently-in-use body so one can put a battery in it and carry it as a spare? So when need arises just swap bodies on the head/blind cap and off you go. More stylish than carrying a plastic battery case. :)

I like that idea, and no I don't think it's been mentioned :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another one of GREAT interest!!
Karl

Thanks Karl :D

Well well, my birthday used to be Aug 9, but I guess it won't hurt to reschedule it to the final shipping date.....:) :) :)
Hi DBC,
Thanks for your flexibility ;)

- GIR -

Hi GIR,

Thanks its a great idea.
I recall back in part 1 (I think) talk of a blank body to be used as a battery holder or maybe a cap as you mentioned, but a cap for the existing spare body, could be the first mention :thumbsup:

I like that idea, and no I don't think it's been mentioned :)
+1

tgwnn

xpshooter

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am curious, Is there a reason why you never mentioned offering a Stainless steel version for this light or the HF ?

I would think it would be cheaper then Ti but more expensive then aluminum, not sure how brass or copper compare.

Thanks,

XPshooter

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then kick me for not speaking up...thanks for saving my *** GIR! :D
:D

Hi,

I am curious, Is there a reason why you never mentioned offering a Stainless steel version for this light or the HF ?
I would think it would be cheaper then Ti but more expensive then aluminum, not sure how brass or copper compare.
Thanks,
XPshooter

Hi XPshooter,
No specific reason, but as always, I'm happy to explore everything if there is enough demand.
Also, I'm discovering that in small quantities, the cost of the materials is a factor of course but even modestly priced materials become expensive when they need to be shipped twice.

Will you miss my birthday? 3 September seems on time ? :D
Art,
Only if you need a torpedo!

Currently, we have a new pcb maker working on the circuit with an ETA of about late August for that.
Then its testing, and if all goes well production which would be at least 45days.

The last prototype was soooo close, I wish they stuck it out!

tgwnn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts