6P tailcaps and me

mhubble

Enlightened
I wonder if the Surefire tailcap would work if you sanded the anodizing off the bottom of the XPG??? I will try tomorrow and let you know.

I put a SUREFIRE Z59 on my XPG and it works perfectly without doing any sanding.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a SUREFIRE Z59 on my XPG and it works perfectly without doing any sanding.

If you look carefully around the surface of the rear of the light you'll find a few minute flaws in the anodizing which will allow contact with the Z59. Check this by doing a continuity check between the back of the body and the threads. Move the side of one of the leads around the rear and you'll get a few beeps from your meter. Those spots contact the Z59.

mejesster

Newly Enlightened
So final conclusion is sand off the anodizing at the very end of the body and the twisty tailcap works?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As has already been mentioned, a standard 6P tailcap is momentary / twist constant-on. Pushing down on it will never produce a click. The tailcap on the SF 6PD however is a forward clickie.

I would also advise against trying to built your own light from custom parts. I had the same idea awhile ago. For less than $200, it's possible to buy all the various pieces you'll need. (Lamp, head, body, tailcap, and of course batteries). But not everything will just fit together perfectly. I was lucky not to find that out the hard way. Even if they all fit, reliability could be an issue.

Still, if you want to go ahead with such a project; checkout Lighthound.com

Not only do they have all the aftermarket pieces you'll need for such a product, but the hound has an excellent reputation. Easily one of the best online retail sites out there.

mejesster

Newly Enlightened
Yes. I've sanded the anodizing from the rear of three XPG's and the Surefire 6P tailcap works every time in both constant on and intermittent on modes.
And we achieve success! Thanks for all the help, my apologies nikon for being miffed at first.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I didn't care much for the way the threaded part of the tail of the body was made on the Cabella's XPG that I got. The threading wasn't as smooth as I would have expected. I own a couple of Solarforce L2s and the quality on them to me seems much better...the threading is good on both ends and I haven't had any compatibility issues with switching/swapping parts with my Surefire 6P. Like I said on many occasions here, I feel the Solarforce L2 is the best inexpensive Surefire 6P clone on the market. Even Lighthound sells the Solarforce Surefire compatible heads.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... I feel the Solarforce L2 is the best inexpensive Surefire 6P clone on the market. Even Lighthound sells the Solarforce Surefire compatible heads.

Wow! :eek:

That's actually saying a lot.

I don't own a Solarforce L2. But I do own a couple of LED Cabela's XPG models, and a Solarforce L600. Not sure if it's cork or just very tightly packed cardboard that was used as an interior component in my Solarforce L600. But it's there!

My two XPG lights are nothing special. They're re-badged G&P models. But in terms of build-quality, they blow my L600 right out the water.

Just wondering, when you unscrew the bezel on your Solarforce L2s, is there cork or cardboard on the end of the barrel?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! :eek:

That's actually saying a lot.

I don't own a Solarforce L2. But I do own a couple of LED Cabela's XPG models, and a Solarforce L600. Not sure if it's cork or just very tightly packed cardboard that was used as an interior component in my Solarforce L600. But it's there!

My two XPG lights are nothing special. They're re-badged G&P models. But in terms of build-quality, they blow my L600 right out the water.

Just wondering, when you unscrew the bezel on your Solarforce L2s, is there cork or cardboard on the end of the barrel?

Nope, my Solarforce L2s have nothing of the sort in them...all aluminum and are quite good in build quality considering that I paid $15.50 for each one. I know the Cabella's XPG is suppose to be a rebadged G&P and that's why I ordered one. After owning and playing around with the Solarforce L2, I was dissapointed at the cheap feel of the the XPG's tailswitch along with the not so smooth threading of the body's tail end. The Solarforce L2s threading are well made and functions rather smoothly (especially considering the fact that they don't come lubricated). Like I said in my last post, I was able to swap parts with my Surefire 6P without any problems as everything assembled smoothly and work just fine.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... I was dissapointed at the cheap feel of the the XPG's tailswitch along with the not so smooth threading of the body's tail end. The Solarforce L2s threading are well made and functions rather smoothly (especially considering the fact that they don't come lubricated). Like I said in my last post, I was able to swap parts with my Surefire 6P without any problems as everything assembled smoothly and work just fine.

Must admit, I have the same issues with the threading on my XPG models. But the tailcap switches on both of mine feel as though they would not be out of place on a Surefire model. They're that good. The quality on G&P lights seems to vary quite a bit. :shrug:

Latest posts