my Maglite Solitaire LED mod

Turbo_E

Enlightened
Pretty simple.

1. Take your Maglite Solitaire apart, the head, reflector and take the bulb and battery out.The reflector will take a bit of doing as you need to pry it out from the back. there are little tabs which hold it in on the outer edge so you'll have to pry them inwards with a sharp pick or similar tool. dont worry if they break.

2. get a nice bright 5mm LED of your choice. I used a 20,000 MCD one. Poke it into where the old bulb goes.

3. grind out the bulb hole in the reflector to fit the 5mm LED. Don't make it too big it should be SNUG. I also added some epoxy glue to the rear of the relfector to beef it up and avoid cracking the thin reflector.

4. get a 12V A23 battery or similar. Make a dummy spacer with a resistor. I used a 470 ohm -1/4 W resistor (100 ohm is also safe, but your battery and LED will die faster i imagine, although mine hasn't). Take a short length of non conductive material say a bit of dowel wood or a pencil (anything that will easily fit (and drop back out)into the Solitaire body)and cut a short length off, about 1/2".

test fit it in the Solitaire the battery or spacer should NOT rattle around but not be super tight. leave enough room for the spring on the endcap. take the resistor and tape it along the length of the spacer(pencil). now take the resistor leads and bend them into a spiral @ each end of the spacer and glue them down and let dry. grind off any excess glue on the spiral so it makes good contact.

EDIT: I used a bit of dowel wood and cut a groove lengthwise in it and recessed the resistor into it so my "spacer" would fit better. I have also used epoxy glue as a fixing agent and insulator.

5. put it all back together and now you have a much brighter and longer lasting light!

note: the focus option may not work if you break off the tabs holding in the reflector and if it doesnt light, remove the LED and switch holes.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
EDIT 100 ohm seems to work way better.

so bright..it hurts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Turbo_E

Enlightened
DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very nice. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being easiest, how easy was it to do for you? How about a noob?

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
would this work with a 3mm LED so you don't need to drill out the reflector?

Turbo_E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
That is very nice. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being easiest, how easy was it to do for you? How about a noob?

[/ QUOTE ]

very easy provided you have a dremel/ rotary tool and diamond rinding bit. a drill wont work (CRACK!)

10 being easiest? isnt 10 normally being the hardest? anyways...
I'd say its a 8/10 (by your scale). easy but requires patience. the hardest part being prying the reflector out of the mag. if you dont have to drill, 9/10

Turbo_E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AndrewL said:
would this work with a 3mm LED so you don't need to drill out the reflector?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any 3mm LED in this output range (20,000 MCD)so i can't say. but I'd imagine that 3mm would be perfect, but i can't say which would be brighter, or if they are exactly the same. I should find some 3 mm's

teststrips

Enlightened
the reflector's really don't do anything with most led's anyway. They are designed to keep a 20 degree focus, and hardly any spill.. very little light actually hits the reflector.

The reflector IS useful though, it centers the LED and allows you to turn the light on/off (it pushes against the switch assy)

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've done this several times using 3mm LED's. No need to bore the reflector, although you *might* have to file down the LED's "skirt" for the light to switch on/off properly. When I did this with a 5mm LED, I actually enlarged the hole by hand (I held the drill bit in my hand and turned the head) and the reflector did not break.

None of the 3mm LED's I have are as bright as 5mm LEDs, but they're still bright enough for looking for a keyhole, fumbling for the keys, etc.

I still wish someone would come up with a commercially-available regulated plug for the Soli... it's possible (pbarrette, NewBie, LED_ASAP), but it requires advanced soldering and electronics skills I do not have.

Having said that, I'd give this mod a 8.5/10 on the difficulty scale (10 being easiest).

junior

Enlightened
how about putting a mjled in?

I have a mjled that i cut too short for the minimag and dont want to waste it.

The mjled is a lot brighter than a reg 5mm led.

What say you guys?

Turbo_E

Enlightened
chop the leg off a reg LED and solder it onto the MJLED. there fixed.:)

BTW the pics dont do the light justice. they are way brighter than the pics suggest.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i have do the same thing some days ago but with a 10440 li-ion and a 5,5ohm resistor in the tail-cap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

it's very bright, around 60ma at start and over 30ma for a lot of hours...

the battery last about 7-8 hours and when finally discharged i simply recharge it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Turbo_E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
davidefromitaly said:
i have do the same thing some days ago but with a 10440 li-ion and a 5,5ohm resistor in the tail-cap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

it's very bright, around 60ma at start and over 30ma for a lot of hours...

the battery last about 7-8 hours and when finally discharged i simply recharge it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

can you explain a little more? rechargeable lithium? 5,5 ohm? 5.5? or 55 ohm?

teststrips

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Zelandeth said:
Hmm, might have to give that A23 mod a try. Have a couple of Solitaires sitting around here doing nothing at present. Hmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

the A23 is also called a MN21. They are normally marked as "security" on their packaging. My local wal-mart sells both for 1.77, and I've seen them at other wal-marts for 1.50.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Turbo_E; could you please post a couple of pics of your mod, showing the different parts and where they are placed please? I want to try to mod my Soli if its easy.

Thanks, Tim.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
I'll try to do it tonight if my net connection is still up at home.

its pretty simple tho.